Forum - View topic
The X Button - Harsh Harvest


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2258
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
All those RPGs for Summer will keep me extra busy, and August 27th is a game sandwich with Kancolle Kai, Yorunonaikuni, and Dragon Quest VIII; then I have Stella Glow, Fushigi no Gensokyo, Ray Gigant, Luminous Arc Infinity, and Tokyo Xanadu.

Also Nintendo actually has a F2P game that is not a money pit called Pushmo Hippa Land, I tried it out last night and it's decent. $8.30 US gives you the full game with extras (Level editor and a challenge mode).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B00m23



Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
A vita version for Bloodstained was announced as a reach goal during a live stream.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CoreSignal



Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 715
Location: California, USA
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
The Sega of now compared to the Sega of the past is so different that I'm honestly not going to miss them that much at E3. The past couple years they've been mostly doing ports and licensing games so I'm really curious as how successful they still are. Unfortunately, pulling out of E3 seems like a bad sign. I'm looking forward to Bloodstained. I haven't cared about Castlevania after Igarashi left, so I'm hoping Bloodstained will fix that.

@Hoppy, looking forward to all those games too. Especially Tokyo Xanadu. It looks like a modern-day Ys, which sounds awesome.

Also, can anybody tell me if Neptunia U any good? I'm looking for a fun, handheld action game. I heard some complaints about the game getting repetitive. I'm considering this or Senran Kagura 2 later this year.

EDIT: I sorta take back what I said about Sega (the profitable part). I forgot they own Atlus now, and with the popularity of Persona, maybe Sega is doing better than I thought.


Last edited by CoreSignal on Wed May 13, 2015 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 3657
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Sega:

Quote:
If this disappoints Sega fans…well, it should. But accepting the company's current lot is all part of being a Sega fan. Those treasured times in the 1990s when Sega landed some lucky punches on Nintendo and snatched away half the market? They're not coming back. As UK Resistance showed us many years ago, it's best to bear the many defeats of Sega fandom with mordant humor and self-mockery.


Everything you said here is true, yet there are many stubborn fools among the fans who refuse to believe Sega can screw up (and ultimately it has). The truth is in the print, people. There will never be again be a time where a game mascot wows everyone like it used to and sets the market on fire with sales, nor will there be a brand new anything from Sega that reignites that silly console war from the 90s; really, why did that even happen in the first place? Looking back, it was truly the stupidest, most embarrassing thing to ever transpire in the gaming world, and best left to rot in the past.

Of course I feel bad for Sega, but they just don't have the advantage or the punch they used to. I don't blame them entirely though; the gaming market has changed so much over the years that it forces companies to either make the same generic thing just to break even or risk a new IP that could potentially bankrupt them.

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition: I gave this game's demo a whirl recently and I can see the appeal of Puzzle & Dragons. It is definitely a lot of fun. As a crossover in the loosest sense of the word, it's quite entertaining. The cover art makes you think Mario and Luigi are going to be raising cute little hatchlings into awesome badass dragons; while the thought is nice, it doesn't actually happen sadly.

It's certainly more creative in concept than Fortune Street wasting the potential team-up of Mario and Dragon Quest. Really, that pairing should have been for an RPG considering our favorite plumber has become an expert in that field over the years since the mid 90s. It would have been great, but oh well. Maybe one day in the future...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nhat



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 874
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Relic and another owned Sega studio I think is going to be there. I really hope there's some glimmer of PSO2 ENG release somewhere in there...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aura Ichadora



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 1739
Location: In front of my computer
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Loved the head-to-head reviews of the two HM games. I personally bought Story of Seasons and been playing it almost non-stop since I got it on release date (currently on Summer Year 4). While I think the Minecraft-esque farming capabilities and the characters show more emotion than in previous games are nice, Story of Seasons just has a lot more to offer to me. Plus, it has a LOT to work towards and for, since even now there's a few things I still haven't unlocked. :p
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
se37



Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 218
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Also, can anybody tell me if Neptunia U any good? I'm looking for a fun, handheld action game. I heard some complaints about the game getting repetitive. I'm considering this or Senran Kagura 2 later this year.


Neptunia U was good but I'm not sure if the battle system is any different from the original U on the PS3. It is an RPG, not a real action game. In fact I'm not sure what even changed on it besides a few things since the engine they used is pretty much the same, with the exception of the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2405
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
There will never be again be a time where a game mascot wows everyone like it used to and sets the market on fire with sales, nor will there be a brand new anything from Sega that reignites that silly console war from the 90s; really, why did that even happen in the first place? Looking back, it was truly the stupidest, most embarrassing thing to ever transpire in the gaming world, and best left to rot in the past.


You're the first person I've seen to reason competition in the gaming industry being a bad thing. I mean competition did have a huge hand in the crash of 83 but Nintendo vs Sega was good for the industry. Even if it did lay the groundwork for the stupid [platform X] vs [platform Y] vs [platform Z] arguments that's been synonymous with fanboys every since then.

Quote:


You won't see that in The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors,


Hyrule Warriors doesn't need characters having their clothes shredded not when you can have stuff like Link being fabulous

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Just-another-face



Joined: 08 Feb 2014
Posts: 324
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
You're the first person I've seen to reason competition in the gaming industry being a bad thing. I mean competition did have a huge hand in the crash of 83 but Nintendo vs Sega was good for the industry. Even if it did lay the groundwork for the stupid [platform X] vs [platform Y] vs [platform Z] arguments that's been synonymous with fanboys every since then.


I think he was talking about all the silly ads born from that time, like that godawful "Sega does what Nintendont!" nonsense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wonderwomanhero



Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 424
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
You're the first person I've seen to reason competition in the gaming industry being a bad thing. I mean competition did have a huge hand in the crash of 83 but Nintendo vs Sega was good for the industry. Even if it did lay the groundwork for the stupid [platform X] vs [platform Y] vs [platform Z] arguments that's been synonymous with fanboys every since then.


I think he was talking about all the silly ads born from that time, like that godawful "Sega does what Nintendont!" nonsense.


The book Console Wars covers a lot about the Sega/Nintendo wars. And for some godforsaken reason they decided it needs a live action film adaptation...

The Witcher 3....um...let's just say you will never look at unicorns the same way again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CoreSignal



Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 715
Location: California, USA
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Neptunia U was good but I'm not sure if the battle system is any different from the original U on the PS3. It is an RPG, not a real action game. In fact I'm not sure what even changed on it besides a few things since the engine they used is pretty much the same, with the exception of the story.

Meh....I guess I'll wait then. Anyway, I appreciate the tip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
billybobob



Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
CoreSignal wrote:

Also, can anybody tell me if Neptunia U any good? I'm looking for a fun, handheld action game. I heard some complaints about the game getting repetitive. I'm considering this or Senran Kagura 2 later this year.


Neptunia U was good but I'm not sure if the battle system is any different from the original U on the PS3. It is an RPG, not a real action game. In fact I'm not sure what even changed on it besides a few things since the engine they used is pretty much the same, with the exception of the story.


Neptunia V came out on the PS3 not U. U is like a dynasty warriors game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
se37



Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 218
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
billybobob wrote:
se37 wrote:
CoreSignal wrote:

Also, can anybody tell me if Neptunia U any good? I'm looking for a fun, handheld action game. I heard some complaints about the game getting repetitive. I'm considering this or Senran Kagura 2 later this year.


Neptunia U was good but I'm not sure if the battle system is any different from the original U on the PS3. It is an RPG, not a real action game. In fact I'm not sure what even changed on it besides a few things since the engine they used is pretty much the same, with the exception of the story.


Neptunia V came out on the PS3 not U. U is like a dynasty warriors game.


Really? Honestly I had no idea. I must have mixed up U & V since I know they are re-making the PS3 games (for some reason) and when I saw it I thought it was just the third game. My bad. So this is a whole new game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rizuchan



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 655
Location: Kansas
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
Was it really any surprise that Lost Valley turned out to be terrible? The only surprise to me was that it turned out really, really terrible (or so I've heard, haven't actually played it). I mean, it got a 44 on metacritic. That's basically "it isn't broken."

A lot of the reviews I read (including this one) seemed optimistic like "Natsume's on the right track..." but I really don't think they are. They tried to make a crafting game just because they're popular right now, without any knowledge of what makes a crafting game fun. Then they tacked on farming/animal raising because "that's what makes a Harvest Moon game"... except that's not what Harvest Moon is about. I thought Wada was always pretty clear that Bokujou Monogatari was more a "life simulator" than a "farm simulator"... but even after all these years Natsume didn't seem to get the memo.

It doesn't help that, IMHO, Story of Seasons is the best Bokujou Monogatari game to come out in recent years. I felt like it took what A New Beginning was trying to do with the crafting and did it right. It's still a bit of a slog in the beginning but at least the days finally move faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Southkaio



Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 129
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Will Sega end the same way as the legendary Konami? Regarding Konami, I support the release of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group