• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gangsta (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Like it very much a must watch
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
#2:

More of the regular cast take the stage. What viewers can take away from this episode:

1. Anyone born in the town or a long-term resident is accustomed to violence and has more to the eye than at first glance.
2. Former mercenaries like "Tagski Nicolas" apparently come from a certain mercenary group which lost its lustre after a certain incident. They come in grades, with Nicolas top-rate because of his A/0 rating.

The opening animation hints at the identity of the mysterious organisation's shadowy executioners, but viewers will likely need to wait a while before they fully show their hand.

The doctor must have his own reasons for not intervening directly to send off his unwanted visitors, perhaps he was nervous that he couldn't pull off the job without getting himself, his nurse or his property unscathed. The scene of him holding the syringe full of undoubtedly dangerous drugs against Nicolas for fooling around too much was a little out of kilter with the general setting of the scene.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 2....

Damn, even the doctor is badass in this series

Another good episode although I like the first one better. Nicholas still impresses me with his role in this season. The ending was also thrilling for some foreshadowing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
#2:

It's a solid adaptation so far. Am happy they toned down the humor a bit,which I thought clashed with the tone. The soundtrack continues to impress.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this isn't all action. I love some dark comedy along with the normal comedy in action genres. Twisted Evil Now I have to wait another whole 5 days just to see what's next.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
Looks like Nico has a softer side too ^^
He's still scary 99% of the time..
That spoiler[little nurse kid Nina] seems nice.
Worrick & Alex do make a nice team!
Tag thing got somewhat explained.
Watching spoiler[Nico in action] was amazing.
Great episode!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Wow. Now that was quite something. I had no idea that Worick also had another job like that..

The way the show characterizes the main cast so far is amazing and I hope it can keep up the momentum. The show still retains the maturity themes as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
So Worrick is a gigolo yet he still manages to use "whore" as an insult. Inside a whorehouse he used to work in. Nice one.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Change of pace, no action from the duo but plenty of exposition on what the town is about, how the duo met and more on what the Twilights are and the bigotry they face.

Since Worick and Nicolas are over 30, going by the former's comments and the newspaper article they've spent over 20 years in Ergastulum and carved up that unique niche of theirs. Despite this, both of them know their place when dealing with the respected ones of the community like Boss Monroe and Big Mama.

I wonder if Alex will heed Grandma's warning about not staying too long with the Handymen, but curiosity about the two has really hooked her and she looks like she'll stay through the main plotline which looks to involve the new gang controlling Twilights as grunt troops.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
Is being a prostitute really that different from being a gigolo? Especially since sex seems to be a part of his services. But maybe the real deal is who belongs to who, that he worked for "Big Mama" and has connections with various bosses. While offense against new people is kind of extreme.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Is being a prostitute really that different from being a gigolo? Especially since sex seems to be a part of his services. But maybe the real deal is who belongs to who, that he worked for "Big Mama" and has connections with various bosses. While offense against new people is kind of extreme.

My perspective:

Worick was forced by circumstances to work under Big Mama, so his "main job" was for survival and not something he really enjoys nor respects. The point of that scene wasn't the status of the woman he was threatening, but what she said about Nicolas and the fact that Worick took considerable issue with it. Thinking back to the sentence Worick had in his head after saying goodbye to his customer, there's a hint that he doesn't like certain women of a certain disposition (basically anyone who's prejudiced against the Twilights) whereas his attitude towards Alex shows a different side to him from his usual public face.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Hrmm, I would have liked much more clearer flash backs or dreams but for reality sake they were blurry as expected. The Funimation subtitles were very subpar this time around. I am not satisfied.

However, at least Alex got to ask some of the questions most of us need answered. Hopefully Nico will warm up faster to Alex and we'll get more answers if we don't get more drama and action at the same time. 30 minutes is just too short to show a combined past for two main characters
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
Nic & Alex doing deliveries.
Worick did his own thing.
Was interesting watching them go to all kinds of people.
Something about Nic & Worick's past still remains a mystery.
Worick is still obviously bothered by the past..
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Loved it. This week, we got more background story with Nicholas. Very interesting imo. And not only that, we also have some cryptic (and ominous) hints about Alex.

Sigh...a cliffhanger though.
The waiting game begins but I'm fairly interested to see how this arc will end. The partnership between Nicholas and Worick is always fun to watch.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This episode delivers more background info than the previous three episodes, but it does it well through the use of flashbacks and practical applications.

Worick apparently has hyperthymesia, which explains his knack for "memorisation".

It looks like some new organisation is hiring Twilights to challenge the status quo in the city, what are the odds that the boy who appears in this episode is exactly the same one involved in the B/2 execution at the end of the second week?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6