• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, we got what we were promised, Yuu getting all the abilities from around the world. It was a diverse episode of him starting out slow, but gathering speed and suffering instability as he went. I think Yuu holds a place as being flawed and not always necessarily the hero type, but still managing it in the end. The very end kind of put him as the sick person recovering unlike some of the similar types of shows.

Overall a little disappointed, and I think it partially comes from expecting the sort of story like this since I am quite familiar with Air, Kanon, Clannad, and Angel Beats. I know many won't agree with this, but I think the best aspect of this show was Ayumi. Yes Ayumi is the super moe little sister type character that runs into a bad end, before magically being fixed, she is essentially a culmination of everything people have a problem with these sort of shows. But more than a character by herself, it was her impact on how she affected Yuu as the protagonist. Yuu was a villain at the beginning of the series for everything except his little sister, while yes she was cute she was partially a part of being annoyed like part of her cooking, but it was a family relationship. While indeed if you knew what to look for you would probably have put her on top of the list of in danger, but regardless I think how she was infused with comedy to make just kind of have a good time with her was good.

A complete break down of the hero as he became depressed and a bit of a villain, is really not that unusual for this sort of thing. But it actually feels satisfying that a character can truly evolve into the role of a hero only after experiencing something that breaks them. They go through a trial that takes some time and really is an earn the happy ending. For the Nao and Yuu relationship being the pillar of the series, I don't entirely buy it, which is kind of sad as I really liked their interactions early in the series. I think that since he went back in time we just kind of lost the context of their butting characters, that how they are similar and good for each other. In all honesty it feels like she was the one left unresolved with things like how we saw her letting herself be beat up. It could do with an OVA to tie up a couple things, make it romantic but still kind of silly.

I will give it a rating of Good. I would compare it most to Angel Beats, but it seemed really lack some of the great rememberable moments that made Angel Beats so good.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
My gosh...
Episode started off bad and rushed (like most of the season), but I got dort of interested during the middle of the episode. I got hopeful that this would turn out to be a villain origin story, Yu would take his own life to prevent others from being harmed, or Nao would cut him down with a "this was the plan all along" sort of line. Personally, I believe any of those conclusions would have turned this whole series around for the better. But, nope; just more cheese.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I just marathoned this.

The lack of explanation for Yuu's dream in episode 9 breaks this show for me. At least the puzzle at the end of Angel Beats can be explained within the rules of that show. With Charlotte I can't see a solution for this conundrum.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
The lack of explanation for Yuu's dream in episode 9 breaks this show for me.

I had a bigger problem with them when they started using time-jumps to solve everything. So the story is you get one time line with a "happy" ending and infinity-plus time lines with a miserable ending. If that's the case who cares.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
^ That is assuming that time travel works like that in Charlotte. Since the issue with timelines isn't brought up, maybe the moment someone travels in time, the previous timeline ceases to exist. It would mean that the universe revolves around the time traveler.
lonergirl90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching episode three and it's really good Smile
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Just finished it tonight and I quite enjoyed this series. It did start off as "okay" but it REALLY picked up in the latter half......like I said, "GIMME DRAMA" and that's what I got.

What I liked most about Charlotte was Yuu himself. He was a really interesting protagonist and his character development was handled beautifully. I liked how twisted he was because it made him feel like more of a real person. And of course I liked the sweet side of him as well. He was really a different creature from all the other Key protagonists. I think he can carry the show pretty well just on his own.

Running around as a "one-eyed power-stealing Shinigami" MAN, THAT WAS BADASS. Anime hyper

It was quite a downer that spoiler[his memory of Nao] barely exists but I think he might spoiler[remember again] if he listens to that song but if not, surely once he becomes an adult since all the powers would be gone.

I definitely saw similarities, even shout-outs to Angel Beats. I think both anime are good in their own right....and I'm not sure if i overall prefer one over the other. (though I for sure like Yuu more than Otonashi and the chemistry between him and Nao).
I'm glad that Charlotte was much better than Little Busters. I do want to own this once the BD hits US stores.

Can't wait for the OVA. I hope there is more romansu. :3
PikaMadness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Ok episode 7 was legit asf. Definitely my favorite episode from the anime. Gotta say the last episode was kinda dull though. Other than that, the anime was pretty good but I wouldn't say it's great (ep. 7 was too legit though lol). I think it'd be cool if they made Yuu some mad protagonist/antagonist, like how he acted in episode 7. He'd definitely be one of my favorite characters.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
PikaMadness wrote:
Gotta say the last episode was kinda dull though.

No.
Yuu literally flying off buildings and laughing like a psychopath as he plundered all these amazing powers nonstop was extremely not dull.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The last episode has things that made no sense:
1) why not heal the eye -- even if the main lad did not want to use it for magic, no point to leave itself impaired;
2) and why not use the magic to overturn avoidable unnecessary deaths of people that are dear, as well as to recover brother's vision?
3) why allow yourself be shot?

Overall, this series is a mixed bag, uneven. The concept had more potential than it came to eventually.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
OVA

Mind reading with a twist, spoiler[everyone around hears in the inner thoughts]. I thought it kind of funny that the girls were so into the adrenaline rushes while normally calm Yuu is definitely not.

The reveal spoiler[that the girl had a degenerating disorder] was sad, and quite something to see Nao go off like that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
This was the best 'mission' episode, imho....but why couldn't we have something that takes place AFTER the show....like everyone else wanted? D:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16