• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is Tuka's entire characterization just whatever seems cute at the moment? She initially struck me as the nervous sort and while her getting accustomed to Itami and the others she deals with regularly makes a lot of sense, I was expecting her anxieties to play up again due to culture shock but instead... we get to touch her ears?

I'm hoping that the appearance of the ex-wife prompts some insight in to the marriage customs on the other side of the gate.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
[...]
Understood, I'll try and tone it down. I mentioned this in the Episode review thread, but I'm known within my social circles for tossing things out that others consider spoilers but I personally do not, as I find it hard to discuss a series without talking about the whole series and all of its adaptations when relevant. I really don't consider a general statement about a general something happening in the future to be a spoiler myself, but I can see why it would bother others.

You'll "try" to tone it down?! No, no, no! You will tone it down, or else your posts will be deleted forthwith. I suggest you read this post when trying to determine what is and is not appropriate to discuss at all. And if I come across any references to the manga, then I will delete the entire post myself -- end of story.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but we? didn't need the prior info that Rory was very old to laugh at the scene. It was set up just fine for us, and as soon as the question was asked and you saw Rory's grin, you knew she was in for trouble.

Was that a Royal WE? I thought that one could only speak for one's self, humm I guess I learned something new today. Also while it was about the chuckle the bigger point was it was lazy writing.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the 'we' was a general statement as in 'we the audience', not speaking for other people.

Speaking for myself, I think it was actually pretty funny that now is when that was revealed. As soon as Rori gave the reaction she did to being called a little girl I knew that something like this was going to be the case, and that was a pretty good way to show it IMO.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:

You have to be joking, did you not read page 8 before making your post? My father served in WW2 and he did not stop listing to classical music just because the Nazi's used it.

I doubt that neither the author of the LN/manga nor the animators even knew it was used in WW2. Their only point of reference was Apocalypse Now, which the airborne troupes were emulating.

As to your last point you may have missed it when they said 500-600 attackers. Also since A1-Picturs has taken a R-17 manga and turned it into a PG-13 anime I can understand where you are getting your misconceptions from, if you want to see why the attacking army deserved every piece of led they received, find and read chapter 11 pages 8-12 in the manga (WARNING IT IS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC WITH A R-17+ RATING) then ask your self if the JDSF went overboard. If they had just scared them away they would have just regrouped and attack when they saw the JSDF leave or they would go to another town or village and massacre them.

I never talked about stopping listening to classical music, and this issue has nothing to do with your father during WW2 because fighters in mass at the time did not even know about the Wagner issue.

However, since then people do know about this issue, the more so artistic people. And Apocalypse Now is not an example of sensitivity about that either (authors could be either ignorant or just did not care). Many Jewish people (and others who know) cringe when they see that scene. Japanese artists should not emulate that case, in part especially because they are Japanese.

The number of 500-600 attackers does not make a difference. Shooting at them from the wall would give exactly the effect I described: they would disperse in panic.

And no, I am not asking whether attackers deserved the lead or not; I am saying that JSDF has allowed too many defenders to die for no reason. (In addition, as result of how events are unfolded in the anime, there were excessive deaths among attackers, too, but it is not what I was writing about.)
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
Was that a Royal WE? I thought that one could only speak for one's self, humm I guess I learned something new today. Also while it was about the chuckle the bigger point was it was lazy writing.

Galap wrote:
I think the 'we' was a general statement as in 'we the audience', not speaking for other people.

No, it's "we" as in my roommate and I, who watch all of our anime together.

MaxSouth wrote:
However, since then people do know about this issue, the more so artistic people. And Apocalypse Now is not an example of sensitivity about that either (authors could be either ignorant or just did not care). Many Jewish people (and others who know) cringe when they see that scene. Japanese artists should not emulate that case, in part especially because they are Japanese.

It's a famous scene in a famous movie, and they recreated it. That's it. Honestly, I've never heard of any of that other stuff with the song, and likely the Japanese haven't, either. You seem to be implying that they did this specifically to offend people, when it's not.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Speaking for myself, I think it was actually pretty funny that now is when that was revealed. As soon as Rori gave the reaction she did to being called a little girl I knew that something like this was going to be the case, and that was a pretty good way to show it IMO.

A audience is more than one person. The words "we" and "us" are often used to add weight to a statement or argument to support their side. The problem is since there are two sides, they usually cancel each other out so it is best not to make assumptions and speak for ones self.

I never said it wasn't funny although after rereading my posts I can understand where you could get that impression, but it is the difference between a good joke and a great one. But as I stated it before it is lazy writing, when you have a character make a statement that has no point of reference previous to that statement. Anything can happen off camera and you can make things up until the cows come home (google it) but those are just guess's. The original author knew he was going to use the age as point in the Diet so he let the reader know ahead of time leaving out Rory's actual age to be revealed during the Diet meeting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dessa wrote:
No, it's "we" as in my roommate and I, who watch all of our anime together.

Thank you for that clarification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MaxSouth wrote:

The number of 500-600 attackers does not make a difference. Shooting at them from the wall would give exactly the effect I described: they would disperse in panic.

And no, I am not asking whether attackers deserved the lead or not; I am saying that JSDF has allowed too many defenders to die for no reason. (In addition, as result of how events are unfolded in the anime, there were excessive deaths among attackers, too, but it is not what I was writing about.)

The reason was because they were ordered to stay and protect the south gate by Princes Pina, the de facto commander of the city, so the lives lost are on her head not the JDSF's. Eventually when they confirmed that no one was going to attack the south gate they broke her orders and went to the east gate but unfortunately buy the time they arrived those lives were already lost.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I am going to assume the scene you are referring to is the one from Apocalypse Now, but just as well anyone that has had to live a real life war horror story would cringe at a graphic seek of overt death.

Mind you that is part of the point of such a scene is that War isn't glorious, it is suffering and death, the anime invoked Apocalypse Now because the reference material ALSO wanted to make a stance that War is pretty shitty.

With your blatant stance on being upset is arguably the point of the scene, we SHOULD be upset when Nations propose to go to war for the most arbitrary of reasons, when one wants to express that Warfare is a dirty horrible mess one needs only take a touch by pretending to display the horrors of war ala Apocalypse Now, if that is enough to at least make the masses stomach churn at the concept of going to war then the material has in fact done its job in the intended manner.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
This definitely lacks a balance between action and politics. I think they needed a second squad that also moved in (perhaps to another kingdom) and had about 1/4 of the screen time. In other words, some good episodes and some boring ones. This is usually what drives me away from certain anime or at least keeps me from calling them a favourite.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Oh Itami you lucky bastard. Having not one but two girls sleeping with him. Funny stuff, especially with Pina and her friend curious about the logic of "BL" lol. I think the other girls are really starting to get used to the modern culture too. I also thought the girls looked cute this episode.

Some bits of fan service though with the girls. I think BDs will remove the censor....particularly the mist.

Neat episode overall. Liked the balance of the relaxing atmosphere in the first half with the military and political affairs for the remainder. I think Rory also got a bit of "fun" if you get what I mean lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I can not understand why A-1 Pictures has left out a lot of the hummer that is in the source material. Instead of giving the viewers cookies and ice cream they are handing out saltines and water.

There is no way I am going to buy the Blu-Ray's of such a bland series. Sad to say if Blu-Ray sales are low there will not be a second season, which is guess is ok since A-1 would screw that up also.
CyFrog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I felt like the new episode jumped around too much. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one but honestly I would rather they wrap up the real world part and head back to the fantasy world. I feel like there is still so much there to do.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
Thank God that anime change one scene that made me cringe from the novels. spoiler[The scene is where one of the Japanese SFG unmasks one of the Black Ops operatives and finds out that he's black. And in one of the most idiotic logic reasoning i have ever read, the Japanese SFG immediately says: "The people attacking us are Americans because one of them is black cause only the US Special Forces have Black people!"

This logic is very wrong, incorrect and racist since the author thinks only US Special Forces have black people except other world Special forces do have black people in their ranks like the UK, France, Brazil, Cuba, etc

Thankfully they just change it with the Japanese SFG only reporting two of the dead Operatives are a black man and a white man and that's it.]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Having no knowledge of the source material, I'm still enjoying this, though not as much as when they were through the GATE in the fantasy world.

All I have to say is typical yanks. Do they always have to stick their noses into everything all the flipping time?

I guess the next episode is where Rory looks badass in a yukata, if we're going by the OP.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
You can tell that the animators know nothing of military standard operating procedures and did not even bother to look at the source material when they did the investigation scene. If it had been done like they depicted it, in real life there would be 3 dead Special Forces shortly after they turned the flashlight on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 21