• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
We saw a lot of dark elves die.

"A lot?" Looks to me like spoiler[they all died. The sortie team had no natives that survived other than Yao. ]

So if the JSDF was willing to bring in air power to bring down the dragons why didn't they do that for the big one?

Tuna sure seemed to recover her senses all of a sudden. She is making jokes about calling Itami "dad" all that time.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

So if the JSDF was willing to bring in air power to bring down the dragons why didn't they do that for the big one?

They did do it in the previous episode to test the strength of the dragon. It resisted the few missiles they shot at it. IIRC, one of jets got hit by the dragon's fire-breath, too, but the pilot survived. They also said the larger dragon had mobility like that of a jet.

Or did I interpreted your question wrong. Did you mean to ask why they didn't arrive earlier?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Or did I interpreted your question wrong. Did you mean to ask why they didn't arrive earlier?

What I meant was if I were Lt. Itami I would be sort of POed. He took on a nearly suicidal mission by himself and his girlfriends. Although the girls were nominally combat capable you have one junior mage who ends up doing more than she thought she could, the priestess who it turns out can't make it to the battlefield because she can't go underground, and Tuka is nearly catatonic.

The dark elves step up to the plate all right spoiler[but they are undertrained and get slaughtered. ]

So after nearly everyone spoiler[gets killed then the JSDF shows up with the heavy guns. Not only fighter jets but enough combat helicopters and support troops to take out an enemy far more formidable than the dragon whose capabilities they pretty much knew. All with stand-off weapons. In other words there was no reason for Itami to have to risk himself, the girls and all the Dark Elves. ]

The plus side of course is Tuka is on the way back to reality, and we find out that Giselle and what she's been up to.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
That goes back to Itami not wanting to potentially endanger fellow armymen, and the one scheming dude thought no one would agree with the mission anyway, so Itami set off by himself. Heaven knows why there was no attempt to communicate with Itami to let him know they would be sending backup, though.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
That goes back to Itami not wanting to potentially endanger fellow armymen, and the one scheming dude thought no one would agree with the mission anyway, so Itami set off by himself. Heaven knows why there was no attempt to communicate with Itami to let him know they would be sending backup, though.

Don't forget that the JSDF had no idea that the old dude they had recovering in their hospital was King Duran of Elbe, whose land they had to cross to bring all those troops to bear. The elder dragon was threatening his territory too after all. That's what Yanigida was negotiating with him for last episode, before he came across Delilah doing her assassination thing.

Also, Itami was officially AWOL during this operation, going off mission to hunt said dragon. Likely they had no idea how to get in contact with him until they were right on top of him and the dragon lair, which messed with radio communications. He's bound to eat an official reprimand from command because of that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Tuka is fun to watch Very Happy

For some reason, I really like the music used in this episode as well. I'm glad to see the episode focus a bit more on Lelei though, she's starting to grow on me as a character more in this arc.

The cliffhanger scares me. Pina's father...wow. I hope he'll be okay....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Well the emperor was a douche, but he at least seem to be seeing full on conflict was a bad idea. As soon as she mentioned that she wanted pig guy to get something I knew it was poison, actually gave me a bit of tension when Pina took an obvious bite of food, something in the room had to be poisoned.

What about Sherry, giving unwanted advances onto the poor guy, such a dicey situation from his point of view. But at the same time she seems be aware her actions can help make other people not so afraid of Japanese people for negotiations, she was quite aware. But still seems to be showing interest in him. Strangely there is something familiar about her..... hmm, some searching seems to say that Sherry shares a similar appearance and voice with Silica from SAO.

And some Lelei, we did not have this information before. Lelei was not just some hermit, she actually a talented student who decided to leave her home which I guess was to learn new magics, which I guess we already saw her working on via mixing science into it. According to her it seems magic users are not always reliable, with mentions to poor planning. Her sister sure does not seem happy with what Lelei seems to have been able to experience, being very bright, rich people, "men", and other impressive accomplishments. I want to see more.

Also want to see Rory fail at driving. Tuka seems to have a sense of humour too.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And some Lelei, we did not have this information before. Lelei was not just some hermit, she actually a talented student who decided to leave her home which I guess was to learn new magics, which I guess we already saw her working on via mixing science into it. According to her it seems magic users are not always reliable, with mentions to poor planning.

I liked how that was shown in the previous episode. Lelei mixing physics with her magic show how intelligent she really is. While we haven't been shown what the other mages are researching, I'd like to assume it's alchemy given that the world beyond the Gate is based on the middle ages. That probably also explains why the mages may be seen as shut-ins or whatever.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And some Lelei, we did not have this information before. Lelei was not just some hermit, she actually a talented student who decided to leave her home which I guess was to learn new magics, which I guess we already saw her working on via mixing science into it. According to her it seems magic users are not always reliable, with mentions to poor planning. Her sister sure does not seem happy with what Lelei seems to have been able to experience, being very bright, rich people, "men", and other impressive accomplishments. I want to see more.

Well, from her introduction in the first couple of episodes, we knew Lelei was a student of the famous sage Cato. His name gets instant recognition as a master when the Emperor uses Lelei to claim credit for the Empire killing the ancient dragon, as she is recognized as his student.

We also know that sage Cato mentioned a sister that's a lot curvier than she is, and we saw that this episode in Arpeggio.

Oh, and Lelei is supposed to be a natural at driving, as she feels in tune with the machine, feeling every change in the road through it, so much so that Itami comments on it when she doesn't want to give up the wheel. Wonder why that was changed in this episode...

And yes, magic is not very reliable in this setting. Spirit magic used by the elves possibly is, but that's elf magic. Elves certainly don't teach anyone their secrets (it's mentioned in the drive to Rondel by Tuka and Yao that elves have no tradition of teaching, and that all elves learn everything by themselves via experimentation during their long lives, but this was cut from this episode). They cut out a scene this episode where the dark elves help muffle the sound of a JSDF helicopter leaving the head of the ancient dragon on the gates of the Imperial Palace alongside some JSDF troops by invoking their spirit magic to do so.

And magic is genetic, so you can only use it if you're born with it. The only reason why Tuka was so good with her spell last episode was because of her birth, as she is the daughter of a famous elf hero, known as a prominent adventurer in his day, and that's where she got all of her magical potential from.

During the scene where she demonstrated her new understanding of chemistry and physics to sage Cato and he recommended she got to Rondel for her sage degree, Lelei mentioned that magic has gone out of favor in the Imperial army because it takes too much effort to find and train up mages to pull off effects that massed formations of siege weaponry can do with much less effort involved and with easier training. Again, this was cut in the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

Lol, Rory's jealous was priceless this episode.

A lot of buildup going on. I dislike Pina's bro more and more now though. And also, it was fun to see Leiei and her sister battling it out. Fun fun. I got a bad feeling about the upcoming episode for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
And also, it was fun to see Leiei and her sister battling it out. Fun fun.

Big sister is a bit to manic for my taste. She did seem to calm down a bit after the contest though.

To me what makes me the most nervous is that Itami learned that the Gate is going to close eventually. Actually it should have been on everyone's mind from the get-go but nobody seems to have paid any attention to it. Even now Itami didn't find a moment to ask about it. What happens to the JSDF contingent when they get stranded in the SR? They pretty much have totally military supremacy now but won't have that indefinitely if their supply is cut off.
dlm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Who flicks a coin at their sister. Honestly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
The fight was leaving me a bit conflicted. I wanted Lelei to win because she is a main character and I like her in general, but I can sympathise with Arpeggio as an older who has fears about not getting anywhere and I kind of like the frazzled personality. Time like her trying to pat her hair down before the hairs started popping up again was totally cute.

Pina is in kind of a tough spot, she wants to keep the sovereignty of the empire, but her brother is insane and going to destroy its people and probably itself. The people on his side seem to include ex-prisoners with a grudge against Japan, who have been given too much power. It is a tough situation politically for Japan too, they cannot rightfully just choose who they think should rule, but they probably should not turn a blind eye to the people being mistreated.

Laughing The apology for the house getting destroyed from the duel. Also seems that Lelei being of marriageable age has considered options of technicalities, a teenage crush on Itami perhaps. Also mention Rory with jealousy and quite enjoying the duel under her name.

Although the Gate closing is a raised issue, it might not necessarily mean it will happen very soon. Humans are apparently the most recent race there, and at least Rory's age would say that they have been there a while. Even if so I can imagine modern research style used to study it and maybe make something more permanent, something like a Stargate.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

Nice episode, one that isn't focused on the main girls or military for once. But instead, we got Sherry and her courage. Damn, I wanted to see that battle at the end...maybe next time? Sad
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
We finally meet more of Pina's knights. spoiler[Beefeater is shown to be a physical monster in the spin-off manga about how Pina formed her order. I hope they show her kicking butt as she's my favorite knight with Panache being my second]

It looks like things are going to get interesting now. spoiler[The Empire and Japan are going to be at war it seems since the Cleaners are attacking Japanese territory.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21