• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
^

I'm not sure what makes you say that: A-1 pictures has made quite a few titles that got pretty graphic. From the New World and Birdy the Mighty for example.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm not sure what makes you say that: A-1 pictures has made quite a few titles that got pretty graphic. From the New World and Birdy the Mighty for example.

While that may be the case they are not doing it. As I said all you have to do is watch ep. 3 of Gate then watch ep. 3 of Overlord to see the difference in the depiction of retribution. Then reference Gate - Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri the manga volume 1 pages 81-93 or chapter 4 11-23 to see Rory's character, spoiler[they could have left out the rape and nudity and just have Rory's retribution à la Overlord. Part of the plot is Itami Youji sees Rory as a little girl Goth loli but we have let in on how truly terrifying she is.] Hopefully A-1 pictures will step up it's game, otherwise we will be in for 21 more episodes of a carefree romp through the gate.

Last edited by Cyberd1 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Hmm, this seemed like a buildup episode. Not too much happening but glad to see the three heroines getting along well, in particular at the end there. I find the Tuka Luna's past to be interesting already just based on the scenes shown so far; although not pretty by the way it was presented.

The onsen offered some bits of fan service as well. BASED RORY. I liked her introduction the best this episode with that sexy voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Not too much happening but glad to see the three heroines getting along well, in particular at the end there.

Seems like a lot happening to me. Itami is now a Captain, the politics of greed are building up in Japan, the refugees are learning to deal with the JDF and with each other.

The writing on the politics for this story seems pretty sophisticated. I think if a gate event like this happened pretty much all those in power would think about is how to exploit it. And on the other hand you would have well meaning but over-accusatory reporters and politicians on the other side of that.

Did the bar maid describing the weapons the JSDF used in combat with the fire dragon allude to a phallus? Amusing.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The writing on the politics for this story seems pretty sophisticated. I think if a gate event like this happened pretty much all those in power would think about is how to exploit it. And on the other hand you would have well meaning but over-accusatory reporters and politicians on the other side of that.

Trust me, the politics really drop the ball when we get further into the story, veering into right-wing Japanese nationalism "NIPPON STRONK" crazy land. They really seem to exist just to show how incompetent the other world powers are and how anti-military certain liberal factions in the Diet can be, who of course need to be corrected by the actions of the heroes.

Quote:
Did the bar maid describing the weapons the JSDF used in combat with the fire dragon allude to a phallus? Amusing.

Yup, the whole Rod of Steel thing. They really have no other reference point, so just go with what's familiar. "Backblast clear!" and all that.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Or don't trust GhostStalkerSA. You'll probably be fine either way. At least in fantasy-land, the politics are pretty interesting. The real world politics definitely aren't great, but there's also no hot elf chicks in short shirts there, so who cares?
LordByron227

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Not too much happening but glad to see the three heroines getting along well, in particular at the end there.

Seems like a lot happening to me. Itami is now a Captain, the politics of greed are building up in Japan, the refugees are learning to deal with the JDF and with each other.

The "captain" portion I think its just a mistranslation of "platoon leader". He still carries the insignia of 1st Lt. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Japan_Self-Defense_Forces)
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Or don't trust GhostStalkerSA. You'll probably be fine either way. At least in fantasy-land, the politics are pretty interesting. The real world politics definitely aren't great, but there's also no hot elf chicks in short shirts there, so who cares?

lol, fair enough, everyone has a different take away from the political stuff in this series. Still, almost everyone who I've spoken to who's read at least the manga and who isn't on /a/ thinks the real-world political stuff is balls terrible, and the fantasy world equivalent isn't that far behind it in idiocy.

Anyone who's read the manga will know the scenes that I'm talking about, which encapsulate the author's right-wing viewpoint and gave me serious douche-chills just reading it.

Still, to each their own, everyone will have their viewpoints of the scene in question.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay this show just need to stop with real world politic, it's just terrible. Not even with the right wing nationalist (BTW, worst timing ever to release this anime), it's just cartoonishly bad. The american side was ridiculous as it was (BTW, why are there no american in the special region?) but the Chinese was just side splitting ridiculous. "We want to send half our population trough the gate" wha…?! And what are they even talking about getting half the world against them?

The less we see of real world politic the better it is.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
This show is watchable in the way an impending train wreck is watchable. There should be a drinking game to see just how many countries/nationalities this show depicts as being corrupt, incompetent or just plain evil in comparison to Japan's beacon of Justice and their unstoppable JSDF army.

I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
This show is watchable in the way an impending train wreck is watchable. There should be a drinking game to see just how many countries/nationalities this show depicts as being corrupt, incompetent or just plain evil in comparison to Japan's beacon of Justice and their unstoppable JSDF army.

I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, comparing this series to a train wreck is the usual response I have for people asking why I still follow the manga and am now watching this anime. It really is just a hate-watch for me, though there are some legit cool scenes in the anime that get drowned out by the political bullshit and fight scenes that go on way too long in loving detail. Finding needles in haystacks and such, though this is a rather large haystack full of decomposing plant matter...

Sunk costs fallacy also applies here for me. Even though I know it's a pretty bad series that I should stop following, I can't quite stop watching and posting tons of words about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
There should be a drinking game to see just how many countries/nationalities this show depicts as being corrupt, incompetent or just plain evil in comparison to Japan's beacon of Justice and their unstoppable JSDF army.

To my eyes Japan isn't exactly coming off smelling of roses on the political side either. I'm not seeing any beacons of justice yet, just the main characters we need to like doing their best to be decent human beings. The people over them seem to be bureaucratic stooges, greedy politicos, and corporate goons salivating over land and resources to steal and people to exploit. The question of whether there was enough to be gained by raping this pristine world to make it worth pissing off half the world back home didn't exactly paint Japan in saintly colors.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Well I am enjoying it, but making all government look evil is not a good thing. Most of the stuff with the JSDF is fine. Of course they would not be happy with bringing a bunch of people in, but having them as refugees and taken in for humanitarian reasons cuts through bureaucracy and is an asset.

We do indeed seem to keep having time going forward so we get flashes of what is happening without bogging it down too much. If there is indeed problems international politics on Earth, the next step would be to take journalists across, a select few from different countries would do well. Although I guess at the same time you would be looking at Japan losing some power as you would then have public opinion on how to treat the situation. Possibly a point for good but not national interest.

The girls seem alright, I do wonder how deep Tuka's psychological problems go. I might be reading too much into it, but I think there was growth in her character over the episode where she was not comfortable around the humans before warming up to the situation.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
To my eyes Japan isn't exactly coming off smelling of roses on the political side either. I'm not seeing any beacons of justice yet, just the main characters we need to like doing their best to be decent human beings.

Come to think of it, didn't we just do all this with Outbreak Company? The two stories are close enough that one could be accused of being a ripoff of the other.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I do wonder how deep Tuka's psychological problems go.

I'm hoping she actually does have an imaginary boyfriend and she's not just clinging to hope of her father still being alive. He could even be useful: I bet he could diffuse some of the ongoing political tensions with his soundless words of wisdom. Later, he can bravely sacrifice his life to save Tuka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 21