• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Color] Saturation in Dubs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gozar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
Hello, I had a question about Dubbing companies saturating the colors in Anime. I know Funimation has done this in the past with DB/Z/GT. But I wanted to know, does Funimation is any other Dubbing companies saturate the footage in any other mainstream Anime? I was watching Bleach tonight & I took notice that the colors look similar to FUNi's DB, so I thought I'd ask. Perhaps Bleach is like that simply because they used Digital Art rather than Cel, I'm not really sure.

Thanks.

[EDIT: Made the topic more specific. -TK]
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:51 am Reply with quote
No. Dubbing companies don't mess with the animation footage. Where did you hear about FUNi altering DB's colors?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:57 am Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
No. Dubbing companies don't mess with the animation footage. Where did you hear about FUNi altering DB's colors?

Various forums, because sometimes they do. DB/Z/GT's colours are different from the Region 2 version. Theyre also from lesser quality masters. On top of this, in comparison to old pioneer releases of Z, there is still more 'saturation' of colour present on the relative FUNimation release.

Gatchaman has Edge Enchancement, which is apparently part of the masters ADV received. It's rare for a company to activley do it, and if it occours it's usually because it's on the masters they are sent.

As for Bleach looking like that, it could be due to different masters at AS, or that your monitor and your TV/cable connection show colours differently.

I don't have a list of all shows with altered colours or whatever but I'm sure there is one out there.
mitora

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Does this make the color look better off or worse? I would assume better...
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Gozar wrote:
I was watching Bleach tonight & I took notice that the colors look similar to FUNi's DB, so I thought I'd ask. Perhaps Bleach is like that simply because they used Digital Art rather than Cel, I'm not really sure.

Did you notice that for the entire episode, or just for certain scenes? "Soul" scenes are deliberately oversaturated.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
If you're referring to ADV, Funimation, Geneon, etc. as "dubbing companies," then yes, they do "mess with" the video footage, because they have to author and replicate the region 1 DVDs. It's not quite accurate to use "dubbing companies" in this context, since there are dubbing studios like Bang Zoom, New Generation Pictures, NYAV, and Studiopolis that don't do any video authoring. ADV and Funimation do in-house dubbing, while the other companies subcontract it, AFAIK.

In fact, there's quite a bit of controversy over differences between Region 1 DVDs and Region 2 (Japan) DVDs. Of course, the R2J DVDs have the advantage of having fewer episodes per disc. However, many accusations have been levied against Japanese producers that they give second-rate masters to R1 (and other region) companies, in order to degrade the quality of the other DVDs so as to discourage reverse importation by Japanese fans.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
mitora wrote:
Does this make the color look better off or worse? I would assume better...

It's always a matter of preference, but in comparison between the two, the R1 release looks sloppily altered. Colours bleed and the colour composition is all thrown a bit out of whack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1