• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snow White with the Red Hair (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
A wonderful first episode that had me totally captivated from the opening scene and found me wanting more as it ended. It's not normally a type of show that I'd watch but it's staying on the keepers list this season.

I am however annoyed by the burke's at IGN that only reviewed it as a 5.8, when it was clearly one of the finest opening episodes of the season so far. But then again, I wouldn't trust them to post an honest review in my local Autotrader magazine...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I think other people watching (ESPECIALLY guys) will really approve that the heroine is clearly choosing a nicer guy to be with over the jerk this time.

It is not just that, but that she shows the power that she can make her own decisions. She ran away from some guy that tried to control her, and does not seem to mind following the guy that lets her do what she wants.

I have seen a number of shoujo where for some reason it become incredibly frustrating to see the heroine be at the mercy of whatever pig headed idea the boy has. I might just quote the bottom of the barrel with say Brothers Complex, and god forbid Amnesia, where it was like torture where the girl is helpless. That I ended up really impressed with Kamigami no Asobi where the heroine actually seemed to have a personality.

It probably works the same how you gals who find it frustrating to have some boy that just gets pushed around by girl all the time by some ridiculous whims.

Nice might not even necessarily be it. I really enjoyed The World Is Still Beautiful because Nike was simply a strong personality not afraid to go up against Livius and bring out his good side.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
I actually watched the first episode twice Embarassed

It's not like I totally loved Disney as a child or anything. Or that I like strong female protagonists and guys with some genuine personality like Zen. Not at all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

That was a nice episode.

I liked how Shirayuki used her analytical skills to escape that place. Those medical skills can really come in handy and I think she demonstrates potential to go professional. It's nice to see Zen show up just in time as well as Shirayuki might of been caught again. I just love his reactions this episode too lol

Also, I think both the OP and ED theme song for this show wonderfully done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Zen & Shirayuki] do get along really well.
He likes to spoiler[skip on his paperwork duties ^^"
At least he's making her company while she's exploring.]

Of course her spoiler[rare hair color got her into trouble..
Prince to the rescue!]

Even though she was handling the situation rather well on her own.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Ep 1-2

Love, love, LOVE this series so far! It takes the fundamentals of old shoujo manga (headstrong heroine, dashing prince, and European fantasy setting) and keeps them fresh. Shirayuki is so likable and capable of handling herself in the face of danger. Sucks that she's been kidnapped twice so far but, the sad truth is that people are taking advantage of her 'exotic hair' rather than value her herbalist or diplomacy skills. Zen is one of the best male shoujo characters ever; he has yet to come off as a total a**hole and treat Shirayuki as a *gasp* human being!

Curious how the royal herbalist test will play out and if Shirayuki will have to deal with any rivals.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
There appears to be some anachronism here, as I don't believe it is the practice of skilled townsmen to hire skilled helpers of the same trade--they take on apprentices and hire labor, but they do not usually hire wandering help. It does make Shirayuki's economic position a bit suspect--just how does she manage to earn her daily bread, and how does she last until the exam?

This nagging feeling was probably the biggest detriment to my enjoying this episode. Otherwise, I am quite glad of a few things:
1. She's neither super talented nor unusually inept in her trade--her hard work is just that, hard work for a diligent professional who seeks to improve herself.
2. There are no awkward moments of interaction--she is able to speak freely (though obliquely) of wanting to earn her place into the court, and he is able to chat as if they are simply friends. It looks from the episode preview that spoiler[this aspect will be explored next episode.]

The rescue was a cliched, but the sequence before it came as a nice demonstration of Shirayuki's resourcefulness and calm. Meeting him halfway rather than using it to demonstrate full independence or Zen's heroism successfully turned the trope on its head: She's not a damsel in distress, but nor is she a feminist role model, and that's perfectly fine when the story simply wants a likable pair of protagonists.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Quote:
There appears to be some anachronism here

Not really. It is simply not our world. It is similar with a medieval feel and technology but with somewhat different customs. The kingdoms mentioned are not real and in the absence of really good hair dye, no one human has hair the color of an apple.

If you can't accept that, just realize that the author may not understand medieval European society as well as you do. Just accept the world as presented.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If you can't accept that, just realize that the author may not understand medieval European society as well as you do.

I do not believe this is a unique characteristic of medieval European society. Rather, it's characteristic of low physical mobility and relatively limited education. High population density and high mobility means a ready job market for professionals, and there are some hints that the capital of Clarines might be a mecca for aspiring herbalists, but it wasn't really developed.

There are other anachronism as well: Shirayuki's pocket gas lamp and friction matches suggest a 19th century setting, but the show is devoid of gunpowder, steam power, clockwork, or other 19th century trappings. I did not point these out for a number of reasons: These anachronisms do not intrude themselves into the story. They are not illogical--there is no need for these technology to have developed at the same time, so they can be suitably dismissed with "it's not our history". And mixing these elements creates a story much like the fairy tales of the brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen that loosely inspired this series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Shirayuki is awesome, she was able to use her own skills to help in her escape, only being barred by eventual physical confrontation, which is what Zen is strong in. She is not living in the palace, and she wants to use her own skills to get a position in the court without relying on her connections. Zen really is not too bad himself, he is a good and open guy.

The first episode was not a fluke. If we continue to have kidnapping events it will get tiresome, but if there are ways to show off these characters it will be great. In terms of the red hair, I thought that there was an interesting moment in the cart that hinted along the lines that her hair has caused her some trouble in the past, but she has moved forward to being more accepting of it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
@Raftina
My point is that if you can ignore other aspects of this world that are not identical to our history, I don't see why that one aspect bothers you. Obviously some aspects of her world are well beyond the point where the apprentice system was that rigid. Not all societies world wide developed in the same way so why should they be the same on another world.

I realize that everyone has their own elements that break the suspension of disbelief, but I find this to be an odd one.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Raftina
My point is that if you can ignore other aspects of this world that are not identical to our history, I don't see why that one aspect bothers you.

I have already answered this question, as quoted below:
Quote:
I do not believe this is a unique characteristic of medieval European society. Rather, it's characteristic of low physical mobility and relatively limited education. [...]
They are not illogical--there is no need for these technology to have developed at the same time, so they can be suitably dismissed with "it's not our history".

To use a hyperbole to illustrate the difference, your issue with my criticism is akin to saying "If you can accept a space elevator, I don't see why you can't accept a perpetual motion machine."

The problem here is not quite so fundamental, but it is analogous: A ready job market for professionals is indicative of high levels of general education and high mobility. Even as late as the 19th century, this was not particularly common. The level of transportation and population density shown in this series suggest strongly against such a level of development. You are asking me to accept a world where something as basic as human reaction is different.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
...nor is she a feminist role model...

Why not? So far she's been shown to be brave, capable, resourceful, intelligent, hard-working, she chooses her own path, and is willing to ask for or accept help when she needs it. Sounds like a feminist role model to me. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Raftina wrote:
...nor is she a feminist role model...

Why not? So far she's been shown to be brave, capable, resourceful, intelligent, hard-working, she chooses her own path, and is willing to ask for or accept help when she needs it. Sounds like a feminist role model to me. Smile

I was going to say that, but some people just have a cartoony idea of what they think feminists are.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Quote:
I do not believe this is a unique characteristic of medieval European society. Rather, it's characteristic of low physical mobility and relatively limited education. [...]

Assuming for the moment that this is characteristic of all human society at some point in their history, a point I'm not prepared to argue. This is not knowledge that is so widely known to be seen as a given. This circles back to my second suggestion. Accept that the author is mistaken about how society works and that the error is not significant to the story. (some people do believe in perpetual motion machines)

It is not unusual when constructing a new world for an author to mix a number of periods and technologies. Especially when making a society the author is not familiar with. I find it is best to just grin and ignore the incongruities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10