• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snow White with the Red Hair (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Not bad. I like the fact we didn't have to spend 10 minutes learning about the way the world works in flash backs or whatever like Rokka. Given the preview for the next episode, I hope we get to see the love rival and the kidnapper.

Well we got to see the kidnapper and some drama llama. I'm very happy with episode 2 but I would have liked for the episodes to come out on Sundays instead of Monday. Sad Now I have to wait until tomorrow to see episode 3. Given the preview, I'll have to wait a bit more for some more drama llama. More kidnapping please! Snow White just keeps proving more and more she's not the typical damsel in distress and can actually do more than just wait for prince charming to save her.

FLOWER POWER! Twisted Evil WOOOOO!!!
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yep, this time around, I'm not praying for a shounen Deus Ex Machina because, this time around, the heroine isn't useless and isn't a tsundere who doesn't want to do anything but get saved by the hero.

Thank goodness she has willpower and the smarts to walk her own path. Especially if that path means making someone spoiler[withdraw their sword] after they've drawn it. Doing that without even lifting a finger against that someone was very interesting and exciting to see.

I can only hope we still get more of drama llama than the standard spoiler[being locked in a room together with the prince (hint hint)] but that is better than nothing given what was previewed in the next episode. Maybe she'll trip because it's dark and she'll land on him. Twisted Evil *fangirl scream* Very Happy

Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Loved this episode! It showed Shirayuki's confidence as well as her courage when she stood up against Haruka. And Obi is also a mischievous yet interesting character. I liked his role this week and hope to see more of him this season.

The chemistry between Shirayuki and Zen is also nice to see too. I suppose the story will push her own character throughout this season since she mentioned about becoming a professional herbalist. Should be interesting to see how far that will take her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I can't say that is how I would deal with a situation where someone within the court is going behind her friend to keep her away, and has shown dangerous force to do so. It was kind of a situation where she maybe should have left it to Zen since it was someone falsely using his name and attacking his guest. But I guess that it was Shirayuki's way of saying that she is willing to confront all opposition to herself head on, and she will not just hide behind others.

That Obi guy would clearly have been an agent, of that lord, so did he intend to like switch is loyalty to the prince? Also, will we see the Zen's family?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3:
Another great character focused episode with slight shades of Shirayuki taking on "The Man" while visiting Zen. Hope that Zen's two friends/comrades have more to do besides tease the guy for having a crush. Since Lord Haruka might return in the future, he should play a role when Shirayuki applies for the court herbalist exam.

I've been reading some comments from Rebecca's coverage and I'm curious what some viewers might find boring about Snow White with Red Hair. The series, so far, is reminiscent of the slice of life genre which even I find quite divisive.

From my view point there's an internal conflict (Shirayuki finding a "place" for herself) as oppose to the more obvious external conflict like a war or rebellion. It's nothing melodramatic but, I enjoy how Shirayuki is constantly questioned and harassed by others for her not being an obedient, wimpy young woman. While, at the same time, make her a strong, repeatable character without entering Mary Sue territory. It makes the series more believable portrayal of a competent woman driving herself into a prestigious position and it starts to freak everyone out except Zen.

I also want to know more about Zen's family particularity the king and queen.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

That....was sweet.

I don't think it's a a big surprise that Shirayuki passed the exam and became an apprentice since she has a strong personality and already have displayed insightful knowledge about herbs. Then, there's Ryu, the kid who she works with as an apprentice. The Zen/Shirayuki moments in the final few moments of the episode was sweet too.

I hope we find out more about Ryu soon. The kid is quite an interesting character just by his role in this episode alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Finally, the preview is a welcome sigh of relief to some drama that only circled misconception and misunderstanding.

Episode four gives me the impression the spoiler[pandemic, epidemic, or outbreak] (if we'll see it in the anime) will be the disappointing climax. One that is squished into one or two episodes instead of stretching its arms and taking it's time to condense and pool the pure drama with lightly used dramatic irony. Rolling Eyes

But given the two seasons, I'll take a two episode climax over a rushed ending for the second season. It would only leave a bad taste in my mouth if they strung the anime along only to have a sloppy ending to the second season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I like how Shirayuki takes an automatic respect to her senior herbalist, Ryu, even with the fact that he is younger than she is. I think that it acts as a good balance that we have been told not to underestimate Shirayuki in terms of social expectations and that she does the same thing for others. Ryu was surprisingly humble, but it is clear that he is shy and as he put it has trouble interacting with people, which Shirayuki seems ready to give him a hand for.

And also that Shiroyuki cried for what Zen had to go through to build a resistance to poisons. She is the type to get emotional for others. Also Shirayuki made Zen work, putting aside worries that other might see her as getting special treatment if taken a certain way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

That was interesting and cute. Once again, Shirayuki demonstrates that she is knowledgeable at what she is doing. However, some of the more noticeable moments imo this episode were her connection with Zen and Obi.

I sense some romance developing between Zen and Shirayuki in fact..
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I think what the episode provided was seeing a bit more how Zen works with his aides, Mitsuhide and Kiki, along with how Obi and Shirayuki are fitting in.

I kind of wished we got a bit more into the mystery, knowing the details of who and how people showed symptoms first to also be able to come to the conclusion. The wood thing was not bad, indeed that they openly said the guy best off spent a lot of time inside meant pointed to exposure to something, but it felt a bit like hearsay in making the medicine compared to previous episodes.

Oh, Zen calling her cool for clearly so desperately removing the contaminated wood was itself cool, the word "cool" I don't think often gets thrown around in these sorts of shows for the heroine.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
This was a pretty cool episode, especially since I spoiler[correctly guessed that the wood was responsible for the illness pretty much immediately, even before they drew any attention to it or even mentioned that it came from outside or anything. Based both on my chemistry knowledge and experience with some woods being really smoky and some things like poison ivy being known to be bad to burn, I immediately though, "oh, it would be really cool if it were the smoke from the wood that was causing the problem, but I doubt the show will be so cool to do that." I was pleasantly surprised Smile]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Interesting and tense episode. I'm glad to see Shirayuki put on that uniform at long last (looks good on her too!) I'm not sure I like Raj's role in this now though....

But what's more important is Izuma as he is a character that is hard to read. Plus, he has a tense relationship with his brother Zen. Speaking of which, there's some nice chemistry between him and Shirayuki too this episode. Hopefully, that develops more by the direction of this season as it's been so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

From the point of view of berating Shirayuki and Zen, Izana is not very likable. He is pretty much asserting a huge amount of dominance on them for every perceived problem he has with them, showing that he does not want her. But I guess from seeing that his responsibilities, he probably thinks things are suss, Raj really did not help things there.

Weird that Haruka was questioning Zen having Obi when he was previously having Obi as his agent, although perhaps it was just a subtle warning of how having him as a known agent could look.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Weird that Haruka was questioning Zen having Obi when he was previously having Obi as his agent, although perhaps it was just a subtle warning of how having him as a known agent could look.

Haruka didn't seem to realize that Zen's new attendant is Obi. He only heard about it from Izana. Which is what struck me odd about it. Since Obi did a spit take upon hearing the conversation, I guess his working for Zen is supposed to be on the QT.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

That was interesting~

It further bought Shirayuki and Zen closer together including Zen's family issue with his brother, Izana. I don't like the guy much though based on that flashback as shown when he dealt with those lords. Speaking of weird people, Raj's presence in this show is really strange with his unpredictable behavior.

I hope Zen and Izana's relationship improves though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10