• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
So the mystery begins, Adlet now has to play detective to figure out which one of his companions isn't telling the whole truth. Short of the series playing the Roger Ackroyd card, it's safe to say that the red-haired trickster isn't the traitor in the midst.

If it is a mystery series, then the first thing viewers are invited to figure out is who actually activated the barrier and for what purpose. Adlet already starts off at a disadvantage being the hermit of the group and with less raw combat ability than his companions making him the clear outsider with the most to lose. Fremy did confess to killing prospective candidates and has history with the swamp sage making her candidate #2. We know little about the 3 newcomers outside of their names and their emblems, so hopefully the next episodes will give more clues as to their backgrounds and abilities.

New ED animation for this week featuring the princess, I wonder if they'll do the same for the other heroes in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Initial Info: I have not read any manga or any other solid info about what happens in this series beyond what the anime has shown us.

My guess for the false brave is that it is spoiler[Princess Nashetania], if anyone. When she "freaked out" and destroyed part of the controlling mechanism of that device... well, that was one too many artful coincidences for me. Bodyguard guy is too stoic and devoted. Fremie already confessed to having killed possible Braves, so I find the idea of it being her pretty much non-existent. The new peeps are too new for us to feel any shock at it being one of them, plus some of them seem to know one another, which makes it less likely. The fact that several of the Braves have been mildly surprised that she was chosen also seems suspicious.

If it isn't her, then my guess is that it isn't any of them. I'm still not convinced (though some of them seem to be) that the number chosen is as fixed as it is believed to be. OTOH, I'm pretty suspicious of the whole set-up. It'll be interesting to see what sort of twists and turns are in store for us.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote
That spinning around scene was the worst, the frame rate did not help and made the entire thing feel nauseating.

I am going to keep to my theory that Goldov is the fake, specifically I thought the part where Adlet talked to him was raising flags for it, that he feels somewhat guilty about his part.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Considering we just saw a fiend transform into a human, it does raise the possibility that one of them is a fiend, if they can change there appearance then they can probably make a fake mark appear. Initially I figured it would be pretty easy to figure out the fake since apparently the only advantages of the mark is being able to survive the poison, but if the fake is a fiend they'll be able to survive it too. Although I'm still in the spoiler["the princess is the fake"] camp.

Th spinning scene was a good idea, it was just too fast with too little frame. If they could have made the scene longer and slower it would have worked really well. The production quality did go noticeably down, but the plot and character are picking it up nicely, so it's still is enjoyable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Right now I'm in the spoiler[Goldov] camp as well. Smile spoiler[He was gone for awhile, doing who knows what, perhaps finding a way to survive the poison (or as a guard already had that ability?). But I think he's not a demon. I think he faked his way into being a Brave so he could stay next to the princess. It seems an unlikely coincidence that both the princess and her closest guardian would be chosen. And there was at least one potential Brave who was not killed by Fremie, so maybe he was also out killing Braves to try to avoid there being seven of them.]

But that still doesn't explain who set off the barrier. Smile It would seem like that needs to be one of the last 3 to show up, since the others besides Adlet were together fighting. Unless it was activated by none of the seven...

Also, I can understand why the temple needed a key to get in - but who has the key? They got in before he unlocked it, since the enchanted armor came out. Since Maura got to the city first and was supposed to be the one to send up the signal, she seems the most likely candidate. But why wasn't she already there waiting when Adlet arrived? The mystery deepens. Very Happy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Maybe the idea was to get the audience to be as disoriented and confused as the braves are regarding their situation.

That's the feeling that I was getting from the scene.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I think "disoriented confusion" is a different feeling than motion sickness.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
The production quality just goes down every episode. Really wish they could've gotten a few more frames in... and also a better 3D department. Episode itself wasn't bad, but I have mixed feelings going into this.
- Since when do demons have bombs? I would expect spitting fire/poison or tearing up the landscape but bombs?
- So demons can talk now. Really didn't see the point of including the demon dialogue there.
- Nashetania's outbreak was really badly done there, almost no lead up with her mental state. If she went crazy that easily she would've went bonkers long before this.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

- Since when do demons have bombs? I would expect spitting fire/poison or tearing up the landscape but bombs?
- So demons can talk now. Really didn't see the point of including the demon dialogue there.
- Nashetania's outbreak was really badly done there, almost no lead up with her mental state. If she went crazy that easily she would've went bonkers long before this.

-Viewers are not told about the origins of gunpowder in this world setting, there is no reason why demons don't have access to the same technology.
- Just the one demon, the big and important looking one probably was the commander of the non-speaking grunts and so was capable of giving orders.
- People panic in ways that always seem irrational. Her little scene has already been flagged by other posters here as a possible clue regarding the identity of the traitor. Perhaps more will be revealed over the coming weeks?
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
-Viewers are not told about the origins of gunpowder in this world setting, there is no reason why demons don't have access to the same technology.
- Just the one demon, the big and important looking one probably was the commander of the non-speaking grunts and so was capable of giving orders.
- People panic in ways that always seem irrational. Her little scene has already been flagged by other posters here as a possible clue regarding the identity of the traitor. Perhaps more will be revealed over the coming weeks?

- Ok, fair enough, but why do none of the Braves seem surprised? Considering that the demon king has been sealed for years and demons have been isolated on the island, there should have been no way for them to obtain gunpowder, much less manufacture bombs out of it. This means its likely there was someone on the human side who gave the demons bombs. A look of surprise on the Braves would have solved this.
- He could've just spoken in demon language though. Viewers could've guessed the "They're here" and "Surround them" part.
- Good answer.spoiler[ It's hard for me to take it as a piece of information since I was spoiled who the fake brave was.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

- Ok, fair enough, but why do none of the Braves seem surprised? Considering that the demon king has been sealed for years and demons have been isolated on the island, there should have been no way for them to obtain gunpowder, much less manufacture bombs out of it. This means its likely there was someone on the human side who gave the demons bombs. A look of surprise on the Braves would have solved this.
- He could've just spoken in demon language though. Viewers could've guessed the "They're here" and "Surround them" part.
- Good answer. spoiler[It's hard for me to take it as a piece of information since I was spoiled who the fake brave was].

-How's this for a wild guess? Demons originally came up with the concept of gunpowder and the humans (plus appropriate sages) picked up the technology through warfare and appropriated it for themselves. I think we've seen one type of demon with opposable thumbs, so creating it on their end should be possible with enough organisation and materials.
-For the convenience of viewers who happen to be tone-deaf and incapable of understanding random grunts and growling, some vaguely understandable subtitles and speech were provided. How nice of the animators to be so considerate.
-Well, that's your problem. Just let the rest of us who don't bother looking up spoiler youtube videos our fun at trying to figure out what's going on without resorting to reading the actual novels.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
There is also that the person who seems most attached to demons in some way, she was apparently killing people earlier with the plan to revive the demon king (or whatever he is called), and she happens to be the hero of gunpowder. Also add in that Adlet himself is surprised by the rifle being so advanced compared to the cannons or weaker arms he had heard of. We cannot be sure where the boundary of things is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
- Good answer. spoiler[It's hard for me to take it as a piece of information since I was spoiled who the fake brave was].

You couldn't have just said "Good answer"? ::sigh:: smfh
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:
- Good answer. It's hard for me to take it as a piece of information since I was spoiled who the fake brave was.

You couldn't have just said "Good answer"? ::sigh:: smfh

Harleyquin wrote:
-Well, that's your problem. Just let the rest of us who don't bother looking up spoiler youtube videos our fun at trying to figure out what's going on without resorting to reading the actual novels.

Woah, calm down here. I was just expressing an opinion I had that differed from yours since the amount of knowledge we have about the show is different. It's not like I don't like the show, I just pointed out some inconsistencies with how it was, and which I was also corrected in.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Woah, calm down here. I was just expressing an opinion I had that differed from yours since the amount of knowledge we have about the show is different. It's not like I don't like the show, I just pointed out some inconsistencies with how it was, and which I was also corrected in.

I'm just aping another user on this forum who went ballistic having been given a minor spoiler on plot for another series by me in a similar manner to what you have done. Differences in opinion are one matter, actually pointing out a potential clue is a likely red herring in a mystery is quite another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 21