• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director Hideaki Anno Laments Over Anime's 'Decline'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selipse

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:

Just to fix your numbers: we have around 60 NEW shows this season, on top of which we have the continuing shows.

I count 50 from FansubDB, including shorts, Robot Girls Z+ (monthly shorts), and Anime Mirai as a whole (4 in total).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

This is what is happening to anime. Not the 1 or 2 series that are broadcast in daytime for the children and which are marketable to the rest of the world. The 98% percent of the industry that caters to asocial Otakus, perverts, pedophiles etc... There is the problem. Those products are not marketable outside Japan. There are even e-commerce Japanese websites that sell figs that are borderline pedophilic in nature that it blocks western visitors. How's that ?

Guess what. That 98% are bringing allot of new fans to anime. Not everybody want to see the 300+ episodes of never-ending shounen anime.
Some people that was thinking that was all the anime had to offer, are turning to watch that 12 episodes shows that are not that time consuming.

Not everybody want to watch a peace of art. Some people just want to watch a light show, with some comedy, action, romance and been entertained

And moe, battle/harem, fan-service attracts an older audience that don't think animation is for kids only, increasing the anime fan base.
And im not saying that all fan-service shows are great. Like in all things. Some are great and some are bad.
But there are no need to offend the fans of that kind of anime just because you don't like them.

Those products are not marketable outside Japan? What world are you living on. There are a big marked for DVD/BD, figurines, LN, VN and seinen fan-service manga. Just a simple search on the net you can find lots of forums and sites were lost of fans can buy and talk about the Moe related products. And if you go to a cosplay gathering there are allot of people that are cosplaying as that fan-service show characters.

If anything finding stuff from kids shows without a high Otaku fanbase is hard. I have options galore to find merchandise from almost every night show I watch. It gets difficult to find the merchandise from a kids show that isn't Precure, Aikatsu, Pripara, or a shounen.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Moroboshi-san wrote:

Just to fix your numbers: we have around 60 NEW shows this season, on top of which we have the continuing shows.

I count 50 from FansubDB, including shorts, Robot Girls Z+ (monthly shorts), and Anime Mirai as a whole (4 in total).

Well, if one was to include TV shorts, kids shows and the likes, we get some 127 TV anime shows currently running, as of today. That's not counting OVAs, ONAs, and miscellaneous.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Hideaki Anno Anime's 'Decline' comment's are about decline because of Moe or fan-service. If that what he means than he is one of the biggest guilty persons.

Let's see: Neon Genesis Evangelion (One of the anime Otaku community loves the most)

-Useless MC: Ikari Shinji (One of the worse useless MC's in anime history)

-Moe Girl: Ayanami Rei (The queen of moe. All other moe heroines since EVA are based on her)

-Tsundere: Asuka Langley Soryu (All the aspects of tsundere characters can be find in her)

What Hideaki Anno are complaining about is lack of funding and less good artists staying in the industry.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed May 27, 2015 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foxaika

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Well, if one was to include TV shorts, kids shows and the likes, we get some 127 TV anime shows currently running, as of today. That's not counting OVAs, ONAs, and miscellaneous.

So to make a long story short, there are a lot of shows out there and it's probably not true that 98% of them are perverted, pedolicious shows that get lapped up by a small handful of fans.

Edit: If that's true though, then man, I have done a lot of lapping up. Actually, maybe I have! Razz

Last edited by Foxaika on Wed May 27, 2015 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Urban Flow wrote:
Well yeah I mean anime is mostly surrounded by Fanservice and moe garbage these days anyways.

I usually don't make the effort, but today I feel like it, so I'll produce some numbers.

Let's see... out of the 40-ish shows airing this season, I count around 6-7 that have a moderate level of fanservice, half of being having it as a prominent component of the show. Some of those, like DanMachi, are actually kind of decent (specially considering later episodes). Now, as for moe shows... well, there are certainly many shows with moe aesthetic, but most of them are either harmless, just to pass the time (like Kiniro Mosaic), or just have the aesthetic for the heck of it (or because they are actually aimed at kids). Some of them are even quite fantastic, like Hibike! Euphonium.

My point is: saying that most anime is based on fanservice or moe garbage, when not even half of the shows a season (in other words, more than 20 shows), lack these elements on a significant evel, is a big generalization of the matter... specially in a season where a show like Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blackade Battlefront) is expected to be a big seller, possible THE biggest seller.

You have to ask yourselves this fundamental question : why is it that in Japan the tv broadcasters are not investing in anime beyond 1 or 2 traditional kid friendly series ? This is the main difference between the 60s, 70s, 80s 90s and the '00s and '10s.

Anime has been kicked out of tv. What you see in late night are for all intents and purposes infomercials paid for by the anime producers. Designed from the get go to sell either the original material that inspired the anime (manga) or fig merchandise. Pillows etc...

This is the situation that Anno laments. And it is this situation that has lead the animation industry towards a thematic and demographic insularization that is not healthy at all in the long term.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
What Hideaki Anno are complaining about is lack of funding and less good artists staying in the industry.

That is true but these problems are result of wrong target audience. If anime industry focuses (outside kid's segment) on extreme niche audience with questionable reputation funding will be scarce and any talent want to run very fast to someplace else not to get tarnished.

Whether Anno now at 55 realizes he has been part of the problem is another story. Maybe he does as he flushed new NGE-movie down the toilet and goes live-action-directing instead.
Selipse

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Well, if one was to include TV shorts, kids shows and the likes, we get some 127 TV anime shows currently running, as of today. Thatnot counting OVAs, miscellaneous.

Okay, then. There are 7 shorts (plus Anime Mirai and RGZ+). That leaves us with 41 new shows.

There are 6 kids shows. That leaves us with 35.

If you want to further separate the midnight shows, there are 5 series airing in the afternoon. So 30.

The fanservice shows still make up only less than a sixth of the midnight series.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
I don't think Hideaki Anno Anime's 'Decline' comment's are about decline because of Moe or fan-service. If that what he means than he is one of the biggest guilty persons

Actually, there's this pretty good post about the rebuilds being a response to the otaku reception of Evangelion.

Anno's not talking about that, though. He's just concerned about the business side of things.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

That is true but these problems are result of wrong target audience. If anime industry focuses (outside kid's segment) on extreme niche audience with questionable reputation funding will be scarce and any talent want to run very fast to someplace else not to get tarnished.

Whether Anno now at 55 realizes he has been part of the problem is another story. Maybe he does as he flushed new NGE-movie down the toilet and goes live-action-directing instead.

Anime changed target audience because is been removed from daytime mainstream TV.
TV channels has been funding this mainstream anime, but now are removing many shows from air except the Kodomo and the big shounen shows putting more live shows instead.

Because the Late Night shows are payed by the productions committees, the TV stations are putting them on air. And this productions committees are dominate by the LN and manga publishers and DVD's/BD company's like Pony Canyon.
And because this products are bought by the Otaku, that is what the target audience are. There are few mainstream anime that can compete with this kind of shows at late night slots.

The way to help anime with no-otaku audience is to find a way to fund them without the TV-stations money. Maybe the solution is in streaming.

I think i talked about this before but anime is not that big in Japan. Kodomo and card games based kid shows are big, but if is not some anime based in a famous manga, most people don't know about it.

Japanese been kids, teens or adults love manga but not care much about most anime.

Selipse wrote:

Actually, there's this pretty good post about the rebuilds being a response to the otaku reception of Evangelion.

Anno's not talking about that, though. He's just concerned about the business side of things.

Nice post.
After watching the Rebuild series i had many questions about the changes but this post give me the answers. Thank you.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed May 27, 2015 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
why is it that in Japan the tv broadcasters are not investing in anime beyond 1 or 2 traditional kid friendly series?

That question doesn't make any sense because they already are. Either you're going by a woefully incomplete TV schedule, or just completely making stuff up.

Here's one example with the series for younger kids helpfully marked, and you will surely find there are more than just one or two of those alone. There are also several day and evening series aimed at the shounen and shoujo demographics, plus a few late-night shows that would appeal to people who don't fit the "creepy otaku" stereotype.

Last edited by Parse Error on Wed May 27, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Japanese been kids, teens or adults love manga but not care much about most anime.

And the problem in the nutshell is: if everybody (and not only the horrible otaku-creeps) love manga, why do they not love anime made based on that manga?

TV-channels should not be the problem, they will send anything lot of people want to watch, they are run based on viewership numbers.
Urban Flow

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Urban Flow wrote:
Well yeah I mean anime is mostly surrounded by Fanservice and moe garbage these days anyways.

I usually don't make the effort, but today I feel like it, so I'll produce some numbers.

Let's see... out of the 40-ish shows airing this season, I count around 6-7 that have a moderate level of fanservice, half of being having it as a prominent component of the show. Some of those, like DanMachi, are actually kind of decent (specially considering later episodes). Now, as for moe shows... well, there are certainly many shows with moe aesthetic, but most of them are either harmless, just to pass the time (like Kiniro Mosaic), or just have the aesthetic for the heck of it (or because they are actually aimed at kids). Some of them are even quite fantastic, like Hibike! Euphonium.

My point is: saying that most anime is based on fanservice or moe garbage, when not even half of the shows a season (in other words, more than 20 shows), lack these elements on a significant evel, is a big generalization of the matter... specially in a season where a show like Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blackade Battlefront) is expected to be a big seller, possible THE biggest seller.

Yeah but do you realize what people actually buy the most. That's right you guessed it.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

And the problem in the nutshell is: if everybody (and not only the horrible otaku-creeps) love manga, why do they not love anime made based on that manga?

TV-channels should not be the problem, they will send anything lot of people want to watch, they are run based on viewership numbers.

Manga can be read everywhere, in trains going to work and school, between classes, lunch breaks. But not anime. Only on TVs. (im not talking on streaming on pc's).

Anime don't have audiences like variety shows and dramas.
The TV channels prefer to spend money on that kind of shows with the biggest audience.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Urban Flow wrote:
Yeah but do you realize what people actually buy the most. That's right you guessed it.

You mean, all those fanservice oriented LN adaptations that sell like shit most of the time? Because they do. Last season alone, the show that sold best out of that kind was Shinmai Maou no Testament, with less than 6000 copies, while shows like Jojo and Kuroko stand above the 10.000 units mark (though the latter is for different reasons).

Of course, if we add different types of merchandise, it may be a different story... but I believe it'd be just slightly different, at least with such a difference in numbers.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Manga can be read everywhere, in trains going to work and school, between classes, lunch breaks. But not anime. Only on TVs. (im not talking on streaming on pc's).

Anime don't have audiences like variety shows and dramas.
The TV channels prefer to spend money on that kind of shows with the biggest audience.

I had a solution to that a few pages back where I said that mobile needed to be utilized for anime streaming services.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12