• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Square Never Intended Final Fantasy To Be 'Final'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
well at least he didn't wait till the 50th anniversary to lay those rumors to rest. Just 27 and a half years.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
So why didn't he give this explanation before when he gave a different answer.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
So why didn't he give this explanation before when he gave a different answer.

Well, I suppose that's because the past interpretation is more "inspiring", in a way. "This game is our final fantasy" sounds pretty cool.

...though I like the Mega64 interpretation better: Final Fantasy was the last game Sakaguchi was going to make before pursuing a career as a rapper.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Eh, this is one of those cases where you shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Got to give them credit though, they tried to come up with a catchy title, went about it methodically, and nailed it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
So it took him nearly 3 decades to clear than one out but i liked the old explanation better.
Thank Ramuh that the brand started to bounce back as most of the last decade of SE was a washout and that is coming from a true fan. VII or bust! Remake or Half Life 3 when?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Long story short: "we thought the acronym 'FF' sounded cool, so we changed the titles to fit that acronym".

quoting Hironobu Sakaguchi, ANN wrote:
According to Sakaguchi, "Really, anything that started with an F would have been fine for the title."

Fudge Fantasy? Laughing
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if it's a pixel-for-pixel port otherwise, I just want a version of FFVII that has a new translation, dammit. Razz

That said, is it weird I'm infinitely more hyped for Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward than I am for Final Fantasy XV?
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood Lad Staz knew all along.

Lololol
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
It is impressive given how long the series has lasted, though I know not everyone will agree warmly with the results of every entry. Still it's given me some great gaming memories, so I can still praise the titles I love.

Quote:
According to Sakaguchi, "Really, anything that started with an F would have been fine for the title."

Careful there Mr. Sakaguchi, that's a very exploitable quote. XD
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well you gotta give them credits for actually coming up with a really cool name. I doubt "fighting fantasy" would've sounded as cool as "final fantasy". And to think they came up with it on a whim.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Complete and utter bullcrap.

I absolutely do not believe this for a single, solitary second.

This is just another instance in a long line of companies waiting for years to retcon and rewrite their own past history and wash away any slightly negative perceptions about anything that they don't want to be talked about or written in books.

This is exactly what entertainment companies (or companies in general) do all the time. The decision is made to wash away any bits of their own history that the company isn't going to want in squeaky-clean self-published documentaries or repeated in any unauthorized way, even if they are based entirely in absolute fact.

This is last remnants of Square, now Square-Enix, a completely different company identity than it ever was years before, wanting to rid themselves of the perception that they ever financially struggled at any point.

A company can mandate whatever lies they want to become the new perception under the guise of "setting the record straight" when it's far more of a brand identity move, than anything.

the Ford Automotive company does it, Nintendo does it, World Wrestling Entertainment does it (and boy do they ever, watch ANY given self-produced WWE documentary and it's almost so pitifully scrubbed clean of any past guilts, it's amazing), and Disney TURNS IT INTO AN ART FORM.

Square-Enix is just the latest in a long line of retroactive butt-covering historical revisionists.

Anyone who looks at the financial shape that Square was in DIRECTLY before the release of their obvious swan song at the time, can add 2 and 2 together the way any elementary school child with half a brain can put together far better could, especially given how painfully long and harshly sudden this "news" comes screaming out of the blue after decades of having so much time to do otherwise.

Absolute bullcrap.

Not fooling anyone. At least, I sincerely hope not, if for nothing but my sense in the slightest of faith in human dignity and intellect.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing wrong with the story being a bit of both. the company could have intended for the game to be its last, but if it was successful they would continue making them.

It seems odd that two stories would be told, but everything is usually marketing.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Where did the original rumor come from, anyway? I was under the impression that it was credible, but I guess I never did double check that later. It felt like common knowledge, so I didn't bother.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they sure need to wait for decades to tell the "truth".
Effing fantasy...
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fans speculated the title was based on the financial stakes if the original game failed

I'll stick with this theory, it makes for a better story :p
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2