• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: GRANRODEO Concert Demands Swimwear Dress Code for Female Attendees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It isn't "if you don't wear a bikini you don't get to go". It's "if you don't wear a bikini you don't get to sit in a specific section of seats that are likely being used for music video footage or the like".

If you don't like the rule for this small section of seats SIT SOMEWHERE ELSE!! God damnit......

Last edited by 3rdImpakt on Tue May 26, 2015 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
It isn't "if you don't wear a bikini you don't get to go". It's "if.you don't wear a bikini you don't get to sit in a specific section of seats that are likely being used for music video footage or the like".

If you don't like the rule for this small section of seats SIT SOMEWHERE ELSE!! God damnit......

Seriously, why don't people get this?

"Click-bait-article-tiltle is click-baity"
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess the people that brainstormed didn't exactly take into account that such an event is almost wanting for harassment/assault to to occur,
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
First problem might be that they are specifically requesting this for a concert in October, which is not exactly summer weather in Japan. Second that everybody has been getting their panties in a knot tied about is that they specifically requested only females adhere to this dress code. I would imagine though that this cannot be only the group themselves that thought of this, management and concert organizers are most certainly involved.

Lastly, the headliner is INDEED misleading as when you actually read the article, the dress code is specifically for the premium seating. The rest of the seats you do not have to worry about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Araki

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Peter Newell wrote:
Didn't Kana Hanazawa have a concert only for female fans? I also don't see how a swimsuit makes a difference. Any female who wants to go should be allowed to wear whatever she wants, including the required swimsuit. If you don't want to wear it, don't go. No one's asking you to go naked.

EXACTLY. No one is being forced to attend, let alone in a premium seat.
I don't see the problem.

3rdImpakt wrote:
It isn't "if you don't wear a bikini you don't get to go". It's "if you don't wear a bikini you don't get to sit in a specific section of seats that are likely being used for music video footage or the like".

The "sexism!!" crowd likes to be offended first, then think second (if at all).

Last edited by Araki on Tue May 26, 2015 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many girls will do that
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I doubt very many will do this, too many cameras and male Otaku.
javierm885778

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure, I bet a lot of them wouldn't even care. And the band is quite popular, so I think there's going to be enough willing fans to fill the seats.
0seveN

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
From what I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong) not only is the dress code premium seat only but the premium seats are also female only. So this isn't GRANRODEO demanding a dress code but rather them offering seats close to the stage for female attendees willing to go in swimsuits. Reason-wise I would guess they're planning on filming this concert for a BD/DVD release or something.
Imitosis

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I've gone to a few concerts in the US that had required dress codes. Arcade Fire did a few small "secret" shows before the release of their last album that required the audience to wear formal attire or costumes. That was really fun and fostered a cool sense of community. The difference is that everyone was expected to comply regardless of ticketing and gender, and there was a lot of flexibility in what fit in with the dress code.

GRANRODEO's policy only comes off as creepy, weird, and alienating to a lot of fans. Sure, you can still go to the show and not sit in that section, but it doesn't change the fact that the band made an unreasonable request to a portion of their fan base. It even makes traveling to and from the show just a little bit more inconvenient and uncomfortable. And as mentioned by others in the thread, a recipe for disaster in terms of unwanted attention and harassment.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this dress code really is messed up, big time. It makes no difference if it only for the "premium" seats; forcing women to wear swimwear to a concert is wrong and makes GranRodeo look perverted and demeaning towards women.
Mr T And The Van

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
0seveN wrote:
From what I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong) not only is the dress code premium seat only but the premium seats are also female only. So this isn't GRANRODEO demanding a dress code but rather them offering seats close to the stage for female attendees willing to go in swimsuits. Reason-wise I would guess they're planning on filming this concert for a BD/DVD release or something.

Correct. The ANN article makes up some BS about "women fearing men in the premium seats" for some reason but that section is not available to men period. That's actually one of the reasons that fans are angry.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Now we know these band members are just perverts that think they can do what ever they want, their so called popularity went to their heads.
Personally I think I heard one song from them and didn't leave me impressed with their vocals or music.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
My understanding is that a certain area of the seating is reserved for people who go in swimsuits. This area is likely to get wet. People enter the lottery to sit in that area knowing that they must wear a swimsuit.

If someone does not want to wear a swimsuit, they can simply enter the lottery for the regular seating. They are two completely different types of tickets and fans have the choice of which lottery for which ticket type they would like to enter. It's not like they enter in one lottery and if they happen to get tickets in that area then they are forced to wear something they do not want to.

And yeah.... The title of this article is quite misleading. It sounds like every female is required to wear a swimsuit when it only applies to people who choose to sit in a small, specific area who know beforehand what is required to sit in said area.
Color2413

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
If the dress-code were for both male and female attendees it'd be fine (it'd still be icky to demand your fans to dress a particular way if they want to be in premium spots on the concert venue, but it'd be less awful if it was all fans), but this is disgusting and feels like a slap at the female fanbase, especially because they're even trying to force a specific swimwear as opposed to letting the fans (who are bleeping paying for those tickets) choose. Considering the band is very popular among females due to their contributions to KuroBas it feels twice as spiteful and awful. Screw them. I hope no one buys those stupid tickets. Heck, I wish the fans would boycott this stupidity and that no one goes to their "celebration".

Gackt did this gimmick with the "YFC Swimsuit Festival" during the 2010 Yellow Fried Chickenz tour, but swimsuits were required for both genders. Evidently, a splendid time was had by all.

Pity that GRANRODEO not only latched onto a five-year-old idea, but made it sexist as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5