• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: GRANRODEO Concert Demands Swimwear Dress Code for Female Attendees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
I'm looking at the chart for acceptable and non-acceptable swimwear and one thought comes to my mind.

"What's NG?"

"No Good?" Why not just put "No"? Same amount of letters, more easily understood by non-English-speakers, and doesn't leave room for interpretation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Well, I read the article and I, for one, am outraged ... OUTRAGED!!!

...that the perfectly fine blue bikini on the right got a NG.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
Heck, if we do a panel, wouldn't mind requiring the front row on the right to have that dress code sign on each of those chairs. Smile
kanracarli

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Clickbait title aside, seriously, why is this writer still allowed to post articles? I mean, he's the one and only author of this gem here: http://i.imgur.com/gGRy60u.png

Seriously? I doubt that this writer has even a working knowledge of the Japanese language.

Had he researched the article he wrote, as expected of a journalist, he'll discover in the rules for the premium seats, that:

>NO MALES WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE PREMIUM AREA.

>EVERYONE IN THE PREMIUM AREA MUST BE OF AGE (18+)

>AUDIENCE IN THE PREMIUM AREA MIGHT END UP IN FOOTAGE FOR THE DVD/PV SO CONSIDER THE FACT BEFORE APPLYING FOR THE TICKETS.

Oh wait, he has troubles with the Japanese language. My bad.

And oh, sourcing Yaraon? A mostly rumor blog? Really now, that's one fine example of journalism.

Another point, most of you people saying that this is sexist obviously have not been in a Granrodeo live nor even know anything about the band and their fans.

Quote:
disgusting and feels like a slap at the female fanbase

LOL

Most of the female fanbase actually already go the the concerts in their bra tops/bikini, just like the ones pictured on the article, without anyone telling them to. Hell, they're even on the same area as men but they don't mind that all.

Quote:
the band made an unreasonable request to a portion of their fan base

See this?

Those are some of Granrodeo's female fans. No one told them to wear bikini tops to that concert but they did anyway. It's not a women only area, they're with the male fans there, but did that stop them from wearing the bikini tops? No.

@CrowLia
Quote:
It's occurring to me that maybe this is a gimmick from the band hoping to sell more tickets to men that buy them knowing they'll be in close-proximity with girls in bikini. I don't know if that's the intention, but it's gross regardless.

You don't know yet you're putting words in the band and the fans' mouths?

As Titania said, the premium area is a tip of the hat, a way to honor those fans already wearing bikinis to the concerts. They've properly told the would be applicants of the rules that no males, minors are allowed and in the area and that they need to consider getting filmed before applying for the tickets.

Hell, that area is not even the best seat in the house.

The fans who will apply for those tickets know what they're getting themselves into. And knowing the management of the band, everyone getting into that area will be strictly ID'd to enter. [/b]

Oh please those of you crying wolf of sexism, go take take a hike and increase your reasoning skills. Also, shame on ANN, resorting to this style of writing, have you no editors?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I read the article and I, for one, am outraged ... OUTRAGED!!!

...that the perfectly fine blue bikini on the right got a NG.

My sentiments. Guess you can go too far in meatspace, but for anime that would be the right bikini.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
@kanracarlo I didn't know about the premium area being female-only when I posted that, but I stand corrected and take back my skepticism about it being a gimmick to attract male fans.

That being said, I still think it's awful to force the fanbase to dress in a particular way to be in the premium area. Someone said it already, it's different when they choose to it themselves (and the photo you showed has girls in bikini top but wearing jeans, so they're not quite according to the dresscode for this concert) to completely imposing, not only the swimwear dresscode, but a specific kind of swimwear
kanracarli

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
@CrowLia

IDEK why you are so hell bent on the "forcing" of the dress codes. Nobody is forcing anyone. It's not like the management has not published the rules ahead of time. They did precisely that so that fans can think about their choices.

And honestly, if "getting close to the band" is your concern, that area is not even the best one. The one right in front of the band will be the standing area, and there's no dress code there. And I am sure as hell most of the ladies who'll end up there will be in swimsuits anyway.

The area, is only a "premium" area because the ladies there would be given drinks and would, most likely end up on a PV/MV, hence the no minors allowed and the consideration of being on tape before applying for the tickets.

Besides, every event has its dress own codes, you want in, you follow the code.

Say you are invited the Oscars, or the Cannes, you think you'll be able to go in to those events if you didn't follow the formal only dress code? Hell, the Cannes has even turned women who are wearing flat shoes away, because they didn't follow the dress code.

The management has even show concern not to overly show skin by pointing out the wrong kind of overly exposing bikini and have given the option of wearing the bra top only. Again, had anyone properly read the rules, the fans who will be in the area can just wear a bra/bikini top and they can wear whatever shorts/skirts and the like for their bottoms.

Again, because you seem not to understand, that one of the main points of the premium area is to be a tip of the hat, a small way to honor those fans already wearing bikinis to the concerts. No girl who has not worn bikinis to previous concerts will forced to be there, they have other even better options of seats, should they not want the premium area.

It's great and all that you have this sense of righteousness, but all the girls applying for those tickets know what they are getting themselves into, so just take your misguided social justice rant elsewhere.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
@CrowLia:

They're not forcing fans to do anything. If women don't want to sit in a special area then they don't have to; they can still attend the concert just fine as a regular attendee. This "premium seating" business is an extra option, it is not the only option that women have to attend the concert.

It's not like the band is demanding that all female attendees wear a bikini. If that were the case, then there'd be a problem. Rather, the dress code only applies to those women who want to sit in this very specific area put aside specially for them.

The stipulations about what type of swimwear is acceptable are oddly specific, I'll give you that. Perhaps the band wants to maintain the image of bikini-clad female fans but it does seem weird. However, the women are allowed to wear a parka as well over the top of their swimsuit, so if they feel self-conscious they can cover themselves up. Or, you know, they can choose not to wear a swimsuit and still attend the concert normally. Or wear a non-bikini swimsuit they are comfortable with (like a one-piece) and stand in the regular audience. So many choices.

I think the reason why you hate what the band is doing is because you mistakenly think they are limiting women's choices. However, looking at it dispassionately and ignoring the click-bait headline and incendiary article, what this boils down to is giving female fans an extra choice. They still have every choice they had in previous concerts and therefore nothing has been taken away from them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know who GRANRODEO are, and I know almost next to nothing about the Japanese music industry. But the statements made by the GRANRODEO supporters seem to illuminate the situation, and it appears to be much ado about nothing.

Though it is so funny to hear the cries of sexism. Really is this breaking news. That is what the music industry is all about, sex and sexism. It's like crying fire in a fully engulfed building, that is also lighting up the underside of the clouds.

If some rock band wanted their female fans in string bikinis at their concerts, its going to happen and there will be no shortage of female fans attending in string bikinis.

Perversely for some reason, the music industry and spring break are sort of immune to charges of sexism.

It is much easier to beat up anime for sexism, than beat up the music industry.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
"If you want to be in this area, you have to be dressed like this"

Sorry, but that's forcing. Sure there are other areas in the concert venue, but if they want to be in the part with the drinks and the MV stuff or just generally want to be in that area for whatever reason they are being forced to wear a specific type of swimsuit. Yes, most of those who would want to be in that area are already wearing bikinis, and probably those who will end up getting the tickets are those that do, but surely there are fans who would like to be there without having to go half-naked. Someone else in this thread commented to taking part in such event and not having to wear a swimsuit, even if most of the crowd was. Good for the girls who like wearing bikinis to the concert, but it's still alienating towards those who don't and would still like to participate in whatever they're doing in the premium area

Quote:
Say you are invited the Oscars, or the Cannes, you think you'll be able to go in to those events if you didn't follow the formal only dress code? Hell, the Cannes has even turned women who are wearing flat shoes away, because they didn't follow the dress code.

And there was an outcry recently (and rightfully so) about celebrities being turned away from Cannes for wearing flat shoes. I won't say I'm especially gung-ho about dresscode in any situation, but in the case of a concert, the attendees are paying to see the band -more so if you're applying to a lottery to get premium tickets-, it's different from the Oscars were people are invited by the organizers. I find it cocky and assholish to deny those who don't want to show skin the chance to participate in something with the band they're paying to see
kanracarli

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
@CrowLia

[Edit]: removed uncalled for snark.

Shame on those women who paid extra to have drinks, wear bikini and have an area close to the band all to themselves. /s

As the other commenters say, there is literally nothing to discuss here. I wish you a good day.

[Edit]: keep it nice. Argue your opinion as much as you like but please don't snipe at other posters. Errinundera
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
^I never said the women who like to attend the concerts in bikini should be ashamed, if they're happy and have fun more power to them. Shame on the band for alienating those who don't want to wear a very specific type of swimwear to a public venue from participating in whatever special stuff is going to take place in that premium area is all I'm saying.

[Edit]: keeping this post consistent with my edits above. Errinundra.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Sorry, but that's forcing.

*sighs*

I've done my best trying to explain why no-one is being forced to do anything. Looks like you're just not going to understand.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Sorry, but that's forcing.

*sighs*

I've done my best trying to explain why no-one is being forced to do anything. Looks like you're just not going to understand.

Nah, she just understands your "reasoning" is garbage. You are the one who doesn't understand. Crowlia gets that the clothing restrictions only apply to fans who want to sit in the premium section. Your insipid and irrelevant observation that no one is forcing female fans to sit in the premium section misses her simple point by a country mile.

If you want to sit in the premium section you are FORCED to accept clothing restrictions. Personally, I think the restrictions were designed to be a joke. I find it hard to believe there is actually going to be security personnel on hand to make sure swimwear meets the approved conditions. However, if it isn't a joke and the conditions are ENFORCED, then the whole thing is stupid and gross.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
C'mon, guys. By all means extol the virtues of women in bikinis at concerts. By all means take a stand against the objectification of said women and their lack of choices.

But just do it politely towards each other. Veil your rage with a serene expression.

Thank you. You may return to your rhetorical combat.

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5