• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Prison School (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote

Prison School (TV)

Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School, Seinen
Themes: Prison, Warden, Dominatrix, Student Council

Plot Summary: Hachimitsu Private Academy was a revered and elite all-girls’ boarding school on the outskirts of Tokyo…once upon a time. But with the new school year comes a revision to school policy: Boys are to be admitted into the student body for the first time ever. But on his first day at Hachimitsu, Kiyoshi Fujino discovers that he’s one of only five boys enrolled at the school. Their numbers overwhelmed by the thousand girls in the student body, is it heaven or hell that awaits these five (un)fortunates?!

Official site: http://prison-anime.com/
----------------------------------

LOL, when I saw the announcement of this getting an anime adaptation, I had to think a bit. But after seeing this preview, I'm pretty confident in this being an adequate adaptation. This also happens to be another J.C. Staff work and the director is Tsutomu Mizushima who worked on Shirobako.

For the series itself, it takes in a prison (duh) and yes, there is a lot of fan service. However, from what I've seen, this is more like a comedy thriller with unorthodox intentions. This series also won an award at the 37th Kodansha Manga Award in 2013. Anyways, very excited for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I shouldn't even be surprised but it has censorship by mist and light beams. I still got the comedy thriller feeling from this though especially with the face expression/reactions. The OP song is also kinda catchy and it captured some of the main characters' personalities.

I'm hoping BDs will probably have this untamed and completely uncensored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Of course it's censored.
Boys will be boys..
Bath time was epic! ROFL
Those girls were merciless.
Not my thing.
Skipping it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I read some of the manga so I knew what to expect.

On the Monster Musume thread we are all busy complaining about comedic violence directed at hapless male characters. This anime pretty much blows that all out of the water and clear out into orbit.

This type of humor really isn't my cup of tea but this is so far over the top that I can't help watch in a state of morbid fascination even though I know this is all about making fun of the tropes we complain about.

One thing to remark on: In what sense is this Student Council "Underground?" Seems to me they operate pretty much above ground.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Gross. This show is gross. The peeping thing is gross in making guys have to do it. The violence is gross. Undue punishment is gross. The lack gender equality is gross. And how it treats its female characters is gross. I feel like I could turn into Midousuji in how this left me. It was painful to finish, I had to force myself to stop pausing to put off finishing it.

If it could have saved itself from being painful to me: Remove the human rights violation of the prison, keep the strict morals people but tone it down and have it equally balanced out. Wait, no I don't think it could have still worked out, how it treats its female characters reminds me of..... Photo Kano, one of my least favourite in that genre.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I mean, I love the cast and have been looking forward to it since the announcement event they had on Nico Nico, but since I haven't read the manga, I didn't exactly know how I would react to it.

I think it helps that I don't particularly have strong political feelings. (That isn't to say I don't have my beliefs, though.) Even though I'm a girl, I am not a feminist, and when I watch anime, I just watch it for what it is without thinking too deeply about it.

I suppose it also helps that I like dirty jokes and Mizushima Tsutomu's humor makes me laugh. I loved Azazel-san, for example.

This was so fast-paced and I found myself laughing from one scene to the next. It's just so absurd that I can't help but be amused. I imagine the seiyuu having a lot of fun during recording sessions.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard about a prison anime, I was super interested. Prison shows in anime are extremely hard to come across. Sadly... the moment I actually saw any promotional images or videos of this, I knew it would fail. I set my expectations as low as possible. They're sinking into the negatives, and so... I still watched episode one.

I don't get it, Japan. Do I need to invite the country of Japan, or the omnipotent spirit of the anime industry into my house so we can have a conversation? Seriously, Mr. Japan. I'd like to know what you find so hilarious about girls abusing guys. I'd especially like to know what you find so sexy about it.

On a serious note...Was this show made for masochists? This shouldn't be a televised anime. This should be some guilty pleasure OVA.

PS: The weirdest thing is that Funimation licensed this. I expected Sentai to get a show this worthless.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
I feel like this is what Shimoneta wishes it had the nerve to be. It seems like a parody of sexual repression by excessive force, rather than any sort of service-fest.

I do like the character designs, but I don't think that's enough.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
In the words of Sven Goran Eriksson "First half good, second half... Not so good."

It was difficult to watch. The first half was kind of fun with the guys hopeless attempts at peeking but then it went down hill faster than, well something that goes down hill fast.

I'll give it another episode but from the preview it looks like it'll be exactly the same if not worse. If anyone complains about Monster Musume again then I will direct them here.

I also kinda want to hear MaxSouth's opinion on this show... Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Me: Jeez, Monster Musume sure was difficult to watch with all that abusive humor.

You: Pfft, you think that's bad, go watch Prison School!

Me: -watches it- Gee, that was worse... but Monster Musume is still bad.

It's like saying "Hey, you think Charles Manson was bad? Get a load of this Adolf Hitler guy."
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
louis6578--

No doubt you mean well, but any Nazi comparisons are, ipso facto, over the top and, thus, inappropriate. Also, you should make it clear about whom you are addressing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
louis6578--

No doubt you mean well, but any Nazi comparisons are, ipso facto, over the top and, thus, inappropriate. Also, you should make it clear about whom you are addressing.

The person above me was who I was addressing. Also, you're absolutely right. Probably should have picked a less objectionable comparison. "It's like saying that if you think Clannad's Dub is bad, you should check out 4kids One Piece." Hopefully that's better and less offensive.

O.o Honestly, I wasn't thinking when I said that. My bad.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
well, that was bizarre, truly bizarre. When's the next episode?

Shikiari wrote:

I also kinda want to hear MaxSouth's opinion on this show... Laughing

you are evil
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Good to see the chairman show up tbh. I find his voice and personality fitting. And oh Hana, you naughty girl. I think the show and episode captured the expressions and humor quite well.

The student council president is also quite badass.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed this episode far more than the first.

I'm not sure if my senses have been dulled, now knowing what to expect. But apart from a few cringe worthy and unappealing scenes, I found it quite humorous in parts.

Also, I quite like the chairman with his brief perverse scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3