• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaos Dragon: SekiryuSen'eki (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about this one... Back when this was announced and I saw that a lot of famous directors were designing characters I had high hopes, but now I see that they only designed the characters. I didn't really like the first episode. I know you're not supposed to judge a show by its animation quality, but man shouldn't a debut episode actually be good?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Lou Chenfa is definitely suspicious imo this episode based on a conversation she had when alone. Anyways, her weapon also seems to have mysterious powers based on what's shown so far.

Lol, finally an episode without a main or supporting character dying! Well, it's 1/3 of the show now but I think the story building so far is kinda mixed. The world fiction is probably one of the better parts though imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Suwarou's page has an ability that a lot of people in the real world would kill to have, the ability to defy physics and compress any amount of supplies into a small suitcase is always handy for journeys.

Now that viewers get to see what Lo can do with her weapon, it should be interesting to see what happens when the main characters pool their strengths against a common enemy or fight amongst themselves. Lo's weapon seems to rely on some kind of illusion or hypnotism and it has no qualms with claiming the lives of Lo's current companions to slake its thirst.

Interesting mechanical figure at the end, plus he/it shows up in the final group photo scene. Since the town is under siege, what role does the new entrant play in helping the group continue its quest?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I probably shouldn't, but Lou is the character I am currently most interested in. She might just try and kill everyone, but who knows. Hmm, with a bit of digging I found out that Gen Urobochi is connected to this project among a few others, he is especially connected to Lou too.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who is curious as to the background of the characters and who played which one:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-19/chaos-dragon-anime-promo-introduces-characters-by-madoka-magica-fate-durarara-creators/.86142

There's digging, and then there's the information on this website promoting the series long before it started.

Since potential viewers have already stopped watching this in droves, I'm looking forward to the point in which it's just a handful of posts on this forum thread whilst everyone vents their spleen/takes the mickey out of the series on the talkback thread.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I probably shouldn't, but Lou is the character I am currently most interested in. She might just try and kill everyone, but who knows. Hmm, with a bit of digging I found out that Gen Urobochi is connected to this project among a few others, he is especially connected to Lou too.

Urobuchi wrote Lou, but she was a male then. Somewhat funny trivia, other players, knowing Urobuchi, were worried that he'll start killing off other characters at some point, so they had to resist the temptation to metagame all the time.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Given that it's kept in a casket-like case at most times, I question to what extent Lou is actually capable of controlling or directing the psychological effects of the weapon. Even perhaps on herself, since it would be an amusing symmetry (to me, at least) to have the representatives of the two opposing superpowers be a man who destroys the tools he uses and a woman destroyed by a tool using her.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
#4:

Surprisingly Ibuki's insistence on the pacifist solution actually paid off this time round, the mechanical Kagura doesn't put too much care into his personal safety but he certainly retains enough of a brain to play everyone into the palm of his hand.

Just as well Swaro also played his cards well with his countrymen which ultimately contributed to the town's survival, but a lot of factors certainly required plenty of luck before they could come together for the best outcome possible.

The way the plot goes betrays the series' origins as a tabletop RPG, but it's light entertainment and does a decent enough job at telling a story provided viewers don't insist on nitpicking every single plot hole and unresolved issue the episodes throw up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel like almost every week, Ibuki is getting tested and he seems to have a hard time making decisions.... especially when Eiha made a daring move in the latest episode.

And anyways, we get the introduction of Gakushou. I actually kinda like her personality especially with her grudge involving Kaguraba. Seems like the two had a bitter past so go figure. Hopefully this buildup is enough to bring more interest for the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of that woman's own failing if she was tricked into buying firearms before being able to get the gunpowder, the guy is a merchant he not just going to give things away. And for her to have a grudge over it, petty.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the first three episodes and am really interested in how the characters will change from hereon. The first two episodes felt very predictable with the sacrifices required but it seems the third episode is where things change. The show became much more interesting at that point. This is a problem I have with Urobutcher shows -- things don't really pick up until about the third episode which works when binge watching.

Anyways, each groups' representatives have their own motives for joining the expedition which makes them interesting characters. I really want to know how their relationships will work out especially with Ibuki's curse required to use the Red Dragon's power. While his distancing of people as a consequence of the curse seems realistic, his character feels quite lackluster right now. In addition, I don't really like his pacifist nature despite myself being one. The two other representatives Lou and Sweallow are more interesting in my eyes. Hints of Sweallow's past intrigues me and Lou feels rather psychotic (I'm attracted to those types in anime).

Will post my comments on episode 4 whenever I get to watching that.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
As awkwardly told as it all is, I'm really starting to enjoy the story come episode 4.

With it being wildly unclear what exactly, if anything, is the vital bit on The Undead Merchant I can imagine a very awkward scene playing out if Ibuki tries to sacrifice him.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Hmm, I'm not too sure what I feel about this week's episode.. Part of it was silly with the bath scenes, then other part got more serious with the revelation near the end. And also, Lou is up to no good like usual....

Curious to see how Ibuki will deal with what he's facing with now.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Tidbits that might be important later:

1. The Red Dragon knew he was losing his mind and left the message with Kagura before disappearing.
2. Two of the factions have artifacts that are game-changing in the way they affect magic on the island, however Ibuki and the natives don't have anything to fight back if the artifacts are deployed.
3. The Red Dragon's "other" power for those who are worthy to sacrifice to it makes its appearance, I don't think Ibuki will be too pleased with swapping his current "curse" for this alternative. Going by the trailer for next week, Ibuki needs to sacrifice again to get out of another hole his team find themselves in.

The concept of the "Returned" might be a cliched one, but I'm curious to find out who has control over the undead army and if there's any way they can be beaten short of asking the Red Dragon for help.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Weird thing about the end is that Garuko was highlighted as if she counts as a friend, and is still alive. Which is odd considering how she is now an "undead" enemy. The preview could be pointing one way, but is that too obvious to say so much?

Also, couldn't "love thy enemy" mean something totally diferent with Ibuki and used as a weapon?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7