• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly ASCII Magazine Ends Print Run, Goes Digital

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what the words on the front cover say, but the image says bullying or domestic abuse.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
How so? Lots of Japanese magazines will have women on their front covers, many with more revealing attire. I am really interested how you came to that conclusion. A lot of what is being said on the cover is related to the magazine thanking its readership and explaining that it will be digital from the next issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:
...the magazine has serialized manga, including Nawoki Karasawa's short gag manga Dennou-Nawo-San. The series began in 1993, will end in the magazine on June 9.

I bought and read the final print issue of Weekly ASCII (No.1030), which started to be sold on May 26.
Actually, the Dennō Nawo-san manga ended in the 'No.1030' issue in question. The ANN staffer may have seen the date 'June 9' regarding the end of the manga somewhere, but 'June 9' is the date printed on the cover of the 'No.1030' issue, which started to be sold on May 26.
In the magazine publishing industry in Japan, it is not a rare thing that the 'release date' printed on the cover of a magazine is different from the actual street date.
Dennō Nawo-san moves from Weekly ASCII to a website which is run by another company and carries articles and manga.

Anime News Network wrote:
The magazine also publishes four-panel comics online under its ShūAsu Comic imprint. ...tugineko's Kare to Karetto.,

I bought tankōbon of this manga, too. Actually, the name of the author is tugeneko. Not tugineko.

Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
By going digital, it might help the authors/illustrators to not be as rushed with deadlines and ideally help them get more sleep.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
And they finally move to the distribution model that matches their name.

...except for the part where it's in Japanese. Change it to "Weekly Unicode Magazine"?
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
In "Dennô Nawo-san", a parody of "The Tree of Life" is pretty funny.
I have seen a gaijin boast about his manga collection and say, "I have four thousand volumes of manga blah blah blah." I wonder whether his great collection includes the book that contains the first version of "The Tree of Life".www
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:
In "Dennô Nawo-san", a parody of "The Tree of Life" is pretty funny.
I have seen a gaijin boast about his manga collection and say, "I have four thousand volumes of manga blah blah blah." I wonder whether his great collection includes the book that contains the first version of "The Tree of Life".www

I have the tankōbon which includes the first version of 'The Tree of Life'.
Certainly, the first version is different from the later versions.
'The Tree of Life' is a classic. I still see people quote from 'The Tree of Life'.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1