• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Studios' Success Calculated Based on 10 Years of Disc Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
Huh I thought Kill La Kill saved the Anime industry or did it just prolong the ineffable only time will tell. Confused
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Huh I thought Kill La Kill saved the Anime industry or did it just prolong the ineffable only time will tell. Confused

The only thing it seems it saved was Trigger's pocket books.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I just thought of this, but doesn't the success of anime also depend on which manga (or light novel, game, etc.) the studio decides to adapt? The more popular the original material is, the more popular the anime will be, right?

Look at Seven Arcs. They do extremely well with their two original anime, Nanoha and Dog Days.
Bleack

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

And disc sales aren't purely what make something successful. It can require merchandise, a boost to light novel/manga sales, etc. Ever notice how many shows that sold like crap on disc got another season? But sometimes those things are irrelevant.

That's true, but how much do the people that worked on the show get from merchandise? I'd imagine that most of the money goes to the people that make the merchandise.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty impressed with the transparency of home video sales from all of these companies. Well, that was one of the first thoughts that went through my head when I saw that list. I must wonder if the reason why Toei is not on that list is that they keep their home video sales numbers a secret.

In any case, there definitely is way more to an anime franchise's profitability than Japanese home video sales. You have multimedia, merchandise, endorsements, royalties, international interest, etc.
scchan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
I think the table is somewhat incomplete. While DVD sales are important, it is not the only source of profit and revenue of the studio - namely, it is the licensing rights (including but not just DVDs) that are most valuable.

If that correlation is correct, it will be saying Gainax is struggling. Also Toei and Ghibli are missing from the list (the most profitable and most prestigious studios respectively).
None of the three need DVD sales at all. People give them money, so they can sell Eva, Torotro and DBZ toys.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
Kyoto Animation right now is special. They don't just make shows based on LN, they change things. They remove things they didn't like from the LN and add things they do. Their adaptations are almost always BETTER then the source material (Chuuninbyou, Euphorium). They are my favorite studio.

What the hell has Sunrise No.9 made anyway?
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm pretty impressed with the transparency of home video sales from all of these companies.

These are not the real sales numbers, but numbers from company called Oricon which collects sales data from retail outlets they have contract with. Real sales numbers are known only by the anime production companies involved and rarely published.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
You have multimedia, merchandise, endorsements, royalties, international interest, etc.

It is important to note that profitability calculation from the point of view of anime studio and from the point of view of production committee are usually completely different things. Royalties from merch, revenue from licensing rights, etc, go to the rights holder which rarely is the anime studio.

Even though it has its weaknesses I would say that comparing anime studios based on disk sales is probably still the best way to get a gauge on their relative performance, anime at the end of the day is their contribution to the cake.

What would be most interesting is to calculate the same numbers based only on anime original series. Then we would see the studio capability at its purest form, stripped from the blind source material fanboyism.

DmonHiro wrote:

I can't understand the reason to separate Studio 9 from rest of the Sunrise. Maybe they run out of number to count all what Sunrise has done.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
On the other hand, as a IG fan (pretty sure I am in a very small minority Embarassed )

Why? Production I.G is an awesome studio and I assume they have tons of fans.

@ Jackanapes - great posts, I found them very informative. I sensed that the tables were probably telling a somewhat skewed story but just didn't have the data and understanding to articulate in specifics why I felt that way.
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Kyoto Animation right now is special. They don't just make shows based on LN, they change things. They remove things they didn't like from the LN and add things they do. Their adaptations are almost always BETTER then the source material (Chuuninbyou, Euphorium). They are my favorite studio.

KyoAni just homoganise everything they make into cute x doing cute y, they got a formula and have repeated it across three series now. Also that's not even necessaryily true (that they change the source material) as Hyouka is almost a carbon copy of the book. Coincidentally I would argue Hyouka is the best thing they have ever made.Tamako was bad, Kyoukai no kanata was pretty bad, Free is at least entertaining but is barely more than an entirely average sorts anime. Chuunibyou was killed by the second season and I can't comment on Yuri Euphorium.

See the only thing that's consistent across their shows is pretty art and good character design. The shows themselves vary in Quality a lot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
edited post that was put in the wrong thread.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu May 28, 2015 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
Perhaps they do vary in quality, but they are always exactly what I want. Whenever I see Kyoto Animation, I know I'm going to enjoy it one way or another. There is not one KyoAni show that I actively dislike. I even enjoyed Munto. While the story was pretty bad, the visuals were great. The only one I don't really care for is Nichijou, and even that one I don't dislike. KyoAni panders directly to people like me, and I thank them for it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
Only 7 of those studios analyzed even managed a 3k rate above toss-up 50/50.

The list isn't about profitability; just how often (or lack thereof) there are sales of 3k+ for each studio. It says more about how often consumers buy (or not buy).

Counting all the titles listed and how many of those were bought 3k+, we got:

Cumulative Titles Produced: 700
Cumulative 3k+ Titles: 250
Percentage 3k+ Titles: 35.7%

So, at least 3000 fans only buy about 1 in 3 titles. Seems there aren't enough fans who buy often enough.

(Note: we are missing data between the 15th bottom studio (ARMS) and the 10th top studio (Bones), but the difference between them is not much (37.5% to 42.3%), so the missing data likely won't make much of a difference in the final calculation.)
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The list isn't about profitability; just how often (or lack thereof) there are sales of 3k+ for each studio.

The reason they use 3k as the threshold is due to historical anecdote that this is the disk sales figure above which anime production turns profitable.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
When you have successful companies like KyoAni making only a handful of series a year, it can help that they might not overload their workers as much. However, working on other series as a support studio (in-between animation and things like that), I would question how they treat their animators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7