• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Fix] Names with Initials

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I was updating some precision information for Bryce regarding a manga, and when I tried to enter his name as follows:

Given: Bryce P.
Family: Coleman

it told me that the name "Coleman, Bryce P." does not exist, but "P. Coleman, Bryce" does. I'm pretty sure that "P." is meant to be a middle initial and should not be included as part of the family name (and thus alphabetizing him improperly).

Could someone verify this and possibly fix his name if needed?
person#12608

Last edited by Chibi Shoujo on Sun May 31, 2015 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Depending on all the steps required, it might be possible to do along with cleaning-up the old duplicate listing reported for his name.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
It won't let me add "Coleman, Bryce P." so I can't fix this.
He is under both (but not consistently - he's credited here as Bryce Coleman for Asagiri no Miko but the books have Bryce P. Coleman, however Chobits vol.5 does indeed have Bryce Coleman without the P).

I could merge it all into Bryce Coleman, but I don't want to lose the initial altogether.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Can't it be set with "Bryce Coleman" as the primary name, with an "Also credited as" with teh P?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
I think that would make extra work later so I'd prefer to avoid it if possible; it's been like this for long enough that a little longer while waiting for dan (or dormcat if he knows a trick to it) won't hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I posted this in the duplicate persons thread, but figured it might be worth re-posting it here since I came across a similar issue:

Chibi Shoujo wrote:
I was planning to add Monalisa de Asis for Lettering and then Touch-up Art to Spell of Desire for English staff, but noting the nature of her name, I went to check the Encyclopedia first for possibilities. I came across two entries:
person#60977
person#11511

Both entries are listed under the family name "A" for Asis (the second is also listed under "D" for DeAsis). I'm not sure about the first entry, but I see the second one splits the entry into two for "Monalisa J. de Asis" and "Monalisa DeAsis". I don't have any copies of the manga where she is listed as Monalisa J. de Asis, but I do have some of the others.

I found the following:
Demon Diary - credited as "Monalisa de Asis"
Kare Kano - credited as "Monalisa de Asis"
Magic Knight Rayearth - credited as "Monalisa DeAsis"
Magic Knight Rayearth II - credited as "Monalisa de Asis"
Marmalade Boy - credited as "Monalisa de Asis"
Samurai Girl Real Bout High School - credited as "Monalisa DeAsis"

Given the obscure nature of her accreditations, I believe that the second entry should be moved to "D" in family names for "de Asis". Also, I believe it should have a third split for Staff under the name Monalisa de Asis.

Monalisa was credited in volume 8 of Chobits as "Monalisa J. de Asis". When I tried entering her name as:

Given: Monalisa J.
Family: de Asis

it came back with the error: "de Asis, Monalisa J." does not exist, but "Asis, Monalisa J. de" does. Once again, I'm pretty sure "de Asis" is her family name, and "de" is not part of her given name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1