• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Nintendo Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
I'm seeing a lot of talk about a Super Mario adaptation, and the thing is that...Mario's kind of quiet as a person. Making a TV series with a protagonist who never says more than four words at a time would be really difficult.

Perhaps someone can experiment with making a movie about Calvin Coolidge to see if it can be done.
KowKow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I've been waiting for an animated adaptation of Super Mario RPG for over a decade. Probably not going to happen. Chrono Trigger, too. ESPECIALLY Chrono Trigger, I should say.

Actually, there WAS a Chrono Trigger adaptation, dubbed "Time and Space Adventures Numamonja". I can't believe that YouTubestill has it up.

Granted, it wasn't very good (Where's Marle? Magus and Frog? Ayla even? The characters you care about don't show up until Part 2 and like Crono, they don't even talk), but at least you hear the old school soundtrack (which is the best part, since the dialogue is so annoying).

BTW, this article is da bomb (and I meant it in a good way).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of talk about a Super Mario adaptation, and the thing is that...Mario's kind of quiet as a person. Making a TV series with a protagonist who never says more than four words at a time would be really difficult.

They had Mario speak whole sentences before actually, like when they were doing those events promoted via the long since defunct Nintendo Channel. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to pull off.

KowKow wrote:
Actually, there WAS a Chrono Trigger adaptation, dubbed "Time and Space Adventures Numamonja". I can't believe that YouTubestill has it up.

Granted, it wasn't very good (Where's Marle? Magus and Frog? Ayla even? The characters you care about don't show up until Part 2 and like Crono, they don't even talk), but at least you hear the old school soundtrack (which is the best part, since the dialogue is so annoying).

I don't think anyone considers that hokey mess to be an adaptation of Chrono Trigger in any way at all. It has nothing to do with the game itself other than throwbacks and cameos, and even calling them by those terms is a stretch. Would it have killed them to try and make an anime centered on the game's actual story and events?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
KowKow wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I've been waiting for an animated adaptation of Super Mario RPG for over a decade. Probably not going to happen. Chrono Trigger, too. ESPECIALLY Chrono Trigger, I should say.

BTW, this article is da bomb (and I meant it in a good way).

Heh, I knew about that thing, but I meant a full adaptation of the story, not that little nothing. Like the cutscenes of the PSX/3DS version with the Toriyama designs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
The Chrono Trigger, FF V, Panzer Dragoon and Tokyo Revelation and .. OVA are all utter ballZ.
The FF Gonzo one, the unfinished Fire Emblem or Xenosaga are better but not worth it ether.
The "even better" ones would be the perfectly unimpressive Bayonetta movie or Street Fighter V and the "good" Street Fighter 2 film which should be the best game anime but none are stellar.
Chun Li vs Vega is a 10/10 fight btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8MG_Plw0U

Video game anime suck and the best japanese adaptation i can come up with on the spot would the the "very good" Utsurowazarumono - Breath of Fire IV manga but that does this mean? Back to the drawing board Japan as you made DMC lame!

The 2 MGS motion comics are pretty cool so have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHReMw0zVE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
What about Dragon Quest? IIRC, that one was pretty popular.
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
ChrisKun2K5 wrote:
First-time poster, long-time lurker. Smile

I was a subscriber to Nintendo Power for several years in the early '90s and the Zelda manga was the first time I ever heard of Shotaro Ishinomori. I had no idea he was a legend on the other side of the Pacific then, and I suspect it was other Americans' first exposure to his talents as well.

Who remembers Charlie Nozawa's Super Mario manga that was also serialized in NP around 1992? Those character designs, especially Peach's, were what I had always pictured in my mind a Super Mario anime to look like. And as a kid already being captivated by the art style of the anime I saw on Nick Jr. at the time, it made a big impression on me. The situations and ESPECIALLY the sometimes weirdly translated dialogue were quite corny, but I enjoyed it nonetheless and used to fantasize about it being made into an anime.

Likewise! First time posting on the forums after being a member for literally forever.

I subscribed to Nintendo power in the late 80s and kept my sub until the late 90s. My favorite issues had the comics in it. Although Ishinomori's A Link to the Past will hold a special place in my heart, the Mario one was excellent! I remember when a small "players guide" version was released (essentially it was a graphic novel, but looked like a player's guide).

My favorite part of the Mario comic was Peach locked away in the cell, but she ninja-hid on the ceiling and then drop kicked the Koopa Trooper jailer. At that moment the comic Peach became my iconic Peach.

Here's hoping that it is released eventually, at least thanks to Ishinomori's Zelda comic doing well. =)
Haruji-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, the Bob Hoskins Mario movie! So many memories of watching it over and over as a kid!
In hindsight, it's pretty freaking bad, but I still love it.
My fiance keeps telling me to watch the Mario anime. Guess I'll check it out soon.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I was SUPER jazzed when I picked up a copy of the Nintendo Power Legend of Zelda comic at Anime Boston this year. I just hope they follow up with the Super Mario comic by Charlie Nozawa and the Star Fox and Super Metroid comics by Earthbound/Mother character designer Benimaru Itoh!

Someday, someday...
O-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
You know I did a blog post studying the Mario art style over the years:
http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/2014/03/super-mario-bros-art-style.html

...one of the things I noted doing a little research is it seems the anime movie seemed to be the first piece of Mario media that solidified Luigi and Peach's modern design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

He had that Italian Simlish thing going on in the DS RPG games, if that counts.

What I really want to see is an Ace Attorney series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2