• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's my thing... if Megu is spoiler[dead], then why where they showing scenes of her by herself? If she's spoiler[only a figment of Yuki's delusion], wouldn't she never be on her own?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Here's my thing... if Megu is spoiler[dead], then why where they showing scenes of her by herself? If she's spoiler[only a figment of Yuki's delusion], wouldn't she never be on her own?

The episode started with static/old film like effect often used as symbolism of a memory from the beginning of the episode when we saw Megumi writing down her story, the implication being that not only was the story the past, but so was her writing. When we see her writing at the very end of the episode when the girls are in the tent, the scene seems completely different from the teacher lounge, all I could give would be theories about what it could mean so far. This might have been a flashback to perhaps somewhere she was stuck towards the end, symbolism that she is buried, or actually a scene representing inside Yuki's mind. The last one is my favourite due to there being files. Also the mention that the girls will be graduating whil Megumi will stay behind seems to be direct acknowledgment that she literally cannot leave the school while they will have to, or that Yuki will have to eventually leave that part behind.

Vaisaga wrote:
I think they're using the "don't show" element well. We never see close ups of the zombies feasting on people, or a clear view of a zombie period. We don't see Kurumi striking down her senpai, and we don't hear it either for that matter. That just enhances the impact. The situation is horric enough on its own, we don't need in your face gore.

Absolutly favourite part of the episode, people often forget that in horror what you don't show can be far scarier than what you do, so purposely leaving out those parts make the impact really powerful.

I repeat that I love this series. For those who feel that the moe slice of life is getting in the way, I think you should think about it a bit. Those sort of shows are almost purely made for escapism from stressful life, and that is entirely the point of the scenes in this series. These girls need some level of escapism from their situation, if they do nothing but stress about their situation they will go crazy. I am sure a few of us are The Walking Dead fans, I have seen 4 seasons, and I will say my favourite character from that would clearly be Michonne. It has not come just from her kicking zombie butt with a katana, but a number of scenes that show her doing things to distract from the situation. The shows are not just a zombie horror, it is about trying to live in a world that has fallen apart.
Badge304

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

It was a flashback to day one of the apocalypse.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I repeat that I love this series. For those who feel that the moe slice of life is getting in the way, I think you should think about it a bit. Those sort of shows are almost purely made for escapism from stressful life, and that is entirely the point of the scenes in this series.

I understand that, I just hope they don't overdo it. Those moments can be sleep-inducing and my worry is that there are going to be lots of em.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

I understand that, I just hope they don't overdo it. Those moments can be sleep-inducing and my worry is that there are going to be lots of em.

It is probably time to jump ship as they say if you are not already enjoying the characters.

Even if the characters are in peril, if the audience isn't giving the personalities on screen notice, or worst disdain, then the show simply is not "entertaining" to the viewer.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
I never said I don't like the characters, I said I don't like the mundane, cutesy everyday life in a zombie apocalypse. I don't dislike it enough to drop the show though. Just because I'm criticising the show doesn't mean I don't like it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
If you asked me which bored me more, cutesy slice of life or zombie stuff, I'd definitely say zombie stuff. But this show, while not doing much original in either aspect, does make the two work together. Like I said before, I appreciate the psychological aspect of the show and understand how important it is for the girls to keep their spirits up and not give into despair. If Yuki wasn't around to give them a reason to act cheerful, the other girls probably would have been crushed by the hopelessness of their situation by now.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well my opinion may be a bit biased since I really like the zombie apocalypse setting and on the other hand I've never really been able to get into the moe slice-of-life, cute-girls-doing-cute-things, whatever it's called genre. I do also like the psychological aspect of the show and I do understand that the cutesy stuff is kind of important to the plot.

I originally expressed my concern about how much cutesy stuff there is going to be on this show. I think it's fine when it's done in moderation kind of how it has been done up to this point though episode 1 and 2 were just a little bit boring at times while episode 3 was peachy. I like the show so far even if my previous posts may have made it seem like I'm not enjoying it. I'm just hoping that there isn't going to be an episode or two along the way in which the girls just eat, play cards, do silly stuff and nothing else. Even if an episode like that ends up happening then... I'll just sleep through it.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
With all the inherent tension, I wouldn't mind an episode that turned out to be all slice-of-life. I've always loved it when a show has an undercurrent that contrasts sharply with what's happening onscreen. Plus, it'd be kind of fun to be trolled like that - waiting all episode for a zombie confrontation or dramatic flashback only to have it all pass by calmly.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed episode 3!

I'm rather glad I took some of your advice and didn't drop it. I just have the overhanging feeling that I would have been more involved with the show if they had opened the series with this episode instead.

Looking forward to seeing how they progress from here. I'm all for the cutesy slice of life moments as long as they balance it with the tension that a Zombie outbreak requires.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Looking forward to seeing how they progress from here. I'm all for the cutesy slice of life moments as long as they balance it with the tension that a Zombie outbreak requires.

Agreed 100%, and if they keep on like this, I bet the next episode will show how Yuki got to be... like this.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Thrilling episode! This one had a more serious mood despite the comedy of it coming from Yuki. I'm not sure I like Kei as much as I had hoped though since I don't find much interest in her even through the relationship she had with Miki.

However, Kurumi took a nice amount of spotlight with her shovel and driving skills :p

And that ED theme song is quite something...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit confused because the very first scene before the opening took part in the present, but everything after that took part in the past. I was kinda wondering where Miki was during the school part, until I realized near the very end that part took place in the past as well.

In any case what Kurumi did seemed pretty dangerous just to play along with Yuki's fun idea. Couldn't they have just waited until nightfall when the zombies go home? I guess they wanted to protect Yuki's sanity.
batou37

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
@Cam0
I think that they had mentioned needing supplies when they were having breakfast and Yuki was excited about having the last beef. I simply took it as balancing risk with reward where while it would be more dangerous, it would be much easier to find supplies when it was light out. Especially if it turns out that the infected all go bed down or something and they could inadvertently walk into a huge problem while fumbling around in the dark searching for supplies.
I have been holding onto a thread of hope that spoiler[megu-nee might still be alive, but there were a lot of indications that she wasn't this episode. The fact that Yuki went by herself to ask for permission to go on the outing, the state of deterioration the staff room was in, and i pretty much had to give in when they jumped in the car and she appeared in the back seat next to yuki. It was the first time in a while where a show made me pause and just depressingly mutter "damn...." ]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I too wasn't completely sold on spoiler[Megu being dead], but this episode seemed like a confirmation to me, especially when spoiler[Kurumi volunteered to drive the car]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14