• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ushio & Tora (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'll keep watching this one once my summer break is over (and I thus have far less free time), as I already have eight series higher on my priority list, but it is actually keeping my interest so far. The stories have been pretty good, and Tora is just awesome fun to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
If Ushio and Tora's character designs had been updated and modernized to meet today's aesthetics (like the recent Parasyte anime), would this have compromised the 90's atmosphere the anime was trying to capture?

I know older anime fans will have no problem accepting Kazuhiro Fujita's art, but the concern is this could turn away legions of younger fans who are more accustomed to today's softer anime style without knowing the merits of the story beforehand.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Another solid episode imo.

It had good comedy especially with Tora. I love how he annihilated those youkai that were going after Mayuko even though he was also trying to eat her lol. I find it interesting that she is able to see him though.

Anyways, good action as well this week. This show continuously maintains to entertain me each week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Evil heads] in search of revenge.
Tora spoiler[and traffic] = ROFL
His time spoiler[in the city] was full of unpleasant surprises.
spoiler[Tora vs Evil heads for the girl.].. such selfishness..
Well, this proves how strong Tora really is... scary!
Nice episode.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I haven't got caught up yet but I've surprisingly been really enjoying Ushio and Tora so far. I know a lot of fans don't like the 90s art style but I personally enjoy it a lot and I think it's a nice refreshing break from the typical modern moe art styles we see in a lot of new anime. It kind of reminds me of how the Rebuild of Evangelion movies have kept the old school 90s character designs but updated the animation. Even though Ushio is your cilched shonen action hero, I am loving seeing how Ushio and his partnership with Tora is playing out and Tora is just a really fun character and I love his character design. The action is pretty good and it's just nice to have a new long running shonen action show to watch that isn't Naruto or One Piece.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I find it interesting that she is able to see him though.

He mentions he'll stop hiding himself after his last face-slam on a window. I think he went corporeal after that instead of his usual spirit mode that didn't allow people to see him
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Well this is no longer a fun little shounen series, people were straight up murdered this episode and we lots of dismembered limbs.

And it was merely chance that Tora has not killed and eaten any human yet, even by antihero standards listening to how he would eat things like children is a bit much.

And we can confirm that the setting is modern day with the appearance of mobile phones.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
As of episode 3, this show is pretty bad -- and not because of little things such as annoying miscast of main lad voice actor (who sounds thirty, not teen) or lad's prosthetic nose, but content-wise: this is "monster of the week" project, which is bottom of the barrel for anime. The curse of not having big-scale story is maybe the gravest crime a show can have (except for unique cases like Kino's Journey and few others).

I wish all shows in ANN database would have an option to explicitly labelled/tagged on how much "episodic" they are (or not), so viewers could see beforehand if it will be a waste of time of not. I would almost never watch episodic shows because I want to be engaged in continuous story that would grasp my attention for a long, long time, not in petty formulaic episodes.

My utter disdain for episodic shows comes from the fact that such concept usually pertains to cheap projects that have no true author vision, no plan, no thought, no development, no ending. It is just a vehicle to get viewers attached to an endless chewing gum routine that has nothing and leaves nothing, that is only created for money. Unless an episodic show is done exceptionally well and is clever (as only happened in very few cases ever), it is repulsive to me.

I hope this particular show will come to a story in later episodes, though; it is still not impossible at this point.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has read the entire manga I can assure you that it does pick up an ongoing story.

It does dip in and out of the monster of the week formula for a bit, but there is an ongoing story, a major conflict, and a main villain.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks; then it makes sense to watch the anime; I am glad.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Now that...THAT was a sick punch to the face.

Nice episode overall with Ushio showing the wrong ways that Hyou went about to get his revenge. Well it wouldn't of been a successful attempt anyways since Tora isn't his family's killer. Loved this week's episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
"These are not the knives you're looking for."
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ushio meets an interesting guy.
spoiler[Hyou seems to be on the path of revenge against Tora.]
He was also full of interesting info.
After realizing there could be spoiler[more than one Tora, Ushio was torn about his decision.
Tora got quite a beating..
That Ushio stood up for him was a bit surprising, but not totally unexpected.]

So Ushio-Tora relationship improved once again.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
We need more Tora and Inoue. I hope we get to see more of them together given Tora flys off to spoiler[steal/eat some *steak-e* steak] at the end of episode 5. Tora deserves some happiness too. C'MON INOUE! Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Tora tried to eat a kid last episode, are we meant to think he should be protected because he has not done it yet. I am also pretty sure you can take away a life debt if the one who did it tried to kill you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9