• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
I still am very concerned about the remaining time, episode 9 should finish Volume 2 of the light novel but that only leaves 4 episodes for them to cover all of volume 3 (390 pages) of the light novel.

Most light novel adaptations are 3-4 episodes per novel, so that's pretty standard.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing a bitch get rekt next episode.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Most light novel adaptations are 3-4 episodes per novel, so that's pretty standard.

True, but the problem is that they are taking 4 1/2-5 episodes to cover Volume 2 which has only 292 pages of text as as posed to Volume 3 which has 390 pages of text.

I guess we will have to see how much of episode 9 is devoted to volume 3? Actually I am hoping a long bad ass fight...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers. If those extra pages are due to excessively detailed descriptions or exposition, that's a lot of time that can be cut.

Plus, this is the studio that in a single show used 7 episodes for 2 novels, then 11 episodes for 2 volumes, and then 8 episodes for another 2 novels.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
Clementine's crazy voice is fantastic. There should be other things, but it really feels like the thing I am focusing on.

Oh, mage boy was actually a girl in disguise. And they are all dead. That was something.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers. If those extra pages are due to excessively detailed descriptions or exposition, that's a lot of time that can be cut.

Plus, this is the studio that in a single show used 7 episodes for 2 novels, then 11 episodes for 2 volumes, and then 8 episodes for another 2 novels.

Thank you for that explanation and believe me while reading the LN's when he started to go on and on about something I would just scan the pages until he got back on track. Although I didn't feel that Vol. 3 had any more than Vol. 1&2 did.

Anyway Madhouse has been doing an excellent job so far, in cutting the fat without missing any of the plot points, fingers crossed.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I kind of wonder why they're trying to build up tension for these fights when Ains is so overpowered that there's no real threat. It's like trying to get everyone hyped for Harry Houdini to escape a wet paper bag.

Clementine is pretty fun but I can see her shtick wearing out so I think we'll be better off if she's killed now, before she gets tired.

The real highlight of the episode, for me, was Ains's cleverness being tested by his batttlemaid. It was nice to see him get intellectually cornered and force to resort to manipulating her undying loyalty to escape the situation without revealing that he had either made a mistake or (far more likely) was actually trying to do the right thing rather than the most profitable thing.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this. Are they trying to make me hate them? Do not like this cliffhanger.
ayanami000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
I've been hearing good things about this series. Guess I have to check this out.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
The episodes do seem to end just as what you have wanted to see is about to occur.
A little frustrating, but I am sticking with it.
Not much competition on Tuesday, so easier for it to stick around.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Lack of Albedo - 7/10

Good episode. The action seems to be similar to 300, Slice... Pause... Slice, rather than in a seemless fluid motion, like SAO for example. Though this had been happening all series, it just stands out more when Momonga fights a vast amount of enemies.

Momon's quite an ass, but I really like that about him. If you're completely overpowered then why not act like one. Isn't he technically already handicapped, fighting in his armour rather than his Necromancer gear? Just shows how poor a challenge this world presents him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say he's an ass, except to people who are bigger asses, and maybe a little to his minions who expect him to be that way. He's been exceptionally polite to people who've dissed him for being a copper, or who were yelling at him for things that weren't really his fault. He was nice to the Swords, and felt a little bad at their fate, he hasn't been nasty to the hamster, and he's been outright kind to some of the villagers.

I think he's losing himself a little in the role, but he hasn't really crossed the line with anyone yet except some people who need to be taught a lesson.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Well that was kinda interesting. We see Nabe fight in her combat gear which has a dangerous style to it when considering its design. They also introduced skeletal dragons as well.

The fight between Clementine and Ainz imo was less impressive and predictable. However, I'm glad to see Ainz defeat her and showing why he is a boss. Pretty action packed episode. I guess it's to be expected with all the buildup up to this point now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Best episode yet for me. If I had one small down point then it would be that the Undead Dragons looked a tad off in 3D when compared to the art style of the world. Not a game changer, but meh.

The scuffle (can't really call it a fight) between Ainz and Clementine was one sided, though he did explain why he didn't take any action and was instead learning of this world's abilities. Though when playtime was over, the way he dealt with her was awesomely sickening.

No Albedo, but Nabe more than makes up for it!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I appreciated that even while he said he didn't care that she'd killed his companions, he was actually pretty pissed off about the girl at least. I also enjoyed all of Nabe's various insults for the necromancer guy. Bagworm seems like one I could use. Red click beetle, not so much. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator mentioned Clementine's fantastic voice a few episodes back. That's actually Aoi Yuki, who I have highly respective in many other roles. Definitely a different sound for her, but I love it. Thought she really knocked it out of the park with episode 10.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 22