• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Avengers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
So, thanks to Free Comic Book Day, I have now read the short "Attack on Avengers" comic. As soon as it had been announced, I'd been interested in reading it. I'm not a huge AoT fan, nor Avengers fan, but something like this isn't something all that common, so it was worth looking into. I'd even considered buying the magazine it came in in Japan. So, obviously, I was happy when it was announced for an English release for FCBD.

Before FCBD came around, I already was disappointed. I couldn't find it on the list of books being offered, until I google searched and found out it was INSIDE the Secret Wars #0 book, with no indication that AoA was in it. Then I found out it was only 8 pages long, so I was a bit worried.

Getting the book in my hands, it was both easy and hard to find. Easy, in that turning 2 pages from the end found it. The end of it. For most multi-story FCBD books, they flip the stories, so that you just flip it and can read from cover to middle. This, though, starts a little after halfway through, so you have to flip through to find it.

The second thing that bugs me, is the introduction, which reads as follows:
Quote:
Originally commissioned for BRUTUS Magazine in Japan, the following story postulates what would happen in an encounter between Marvel's AVENGERS and the Titans from Hajime Isayamas popular manga ATTACK ON TITAN. It is presented here in English for the first time.

The problem with this is that, in the original publication in BRUTUS Magazine... the story was printed in English! All of the word boxes and bubbles were in English, with the Japanese translation on the side.

As for the story itself, it automatically assumes that you know and at least understand the basics of how the stories work for both Avengers and Attack on Titan. You're given absolutely no backstory, and dropped directly into the action. It's also very much the comic book Avengers, as a) Spiderman is present, and b) the Hulk is much more eloquent than he is in the movies (not that that means much). From the Avengers line-up, we've got Iron Man, Spiderman, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Hulk. The Guardians of the Galaxy match the movie.

The other problem I have with the story, is that it feels less like a story, and more like an idea. With only 8 pages, you knew it wouldn't be much, but it ends right when the climax looks like it might be in sight spoiler[with the colossal titan and the Guardians showing up]. Even a few more pages would have given a better conclusion to it.

So, in conclusion, it was a lot of hype, and the story didn't live up to it. I'm not disappointed I got the book, but it definitely makes me glad I didn't waste money buying the Japanese one.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I got it, too, and you left out the worst parts: Spider-Man's quips were both really lame, and not easy to understand for non-Americans. How many people in Japan know where Cleveland is, or how big it might be?
OTOH, I got a kick out of Iron man calling the female titan a teenaged beauty queen.
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what's weirder: the Attack on Titan/Avengers crossover, the Yugioh/One Piece crossover, or the possibly canon XStar Trek TNG/X-Men crossover? Wow.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Sadly,my search for "Attack on Avengers" wasn't as successful as Dessa's was. I went to a comic book store hoping to get it but I guess I got there too late. A shame. I'd have loved to see the Marvel superheroes beat the Titans into pudding. That would have something I'd have enjoyed reading.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1