• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Logged off in mid session

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
For the second time in two days I have had a problem. I was able to enter the site with "remember me" function and get part way through my review of forum messages. Suddenly in mid session I'm advised that this is a location for subscribers only and required to log back on.

What gives? I have not changed settings on my end.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the delay responding. Has it happened again since?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the delay responding. Has it happened again since?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Fairly consistently since my prior post. It seems to be time dependent, that is it happens after I've been on a half hour or so. Last night I was working on My Anime and it happened twice in the same session.

On some occasions I come back to where I was with no change. On a couple of times it resets everything. That is, every thread is shown as unread.

On the up side, I now remember my password without looking it up.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to ask Dan to look into this one when he gets back.

A few things that will help him.
Can you tell us what browser & version you are using
Do you have any script, cookie or adblocking plugins running ?
Are you using a proxy server of any sort ?

Have you tried accessing the site in your browser's "safe mode," or another browser, do you have the same problem ?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
I'm using MS Internet Explorer
version 11.0.9600.17843
Update Version 11.0.20 (KB 3058515)
No scripts, cookie or adblocking plugins. At least not that I know of, I wouldn't know one if it bit me. Just plain vanilla IE as it comes from MS.
No proxy server. Just normal internet service from Cox cable.

"Safe Mode"?? I can't find anything of that name in the browser. Does IE call it something else?
Yesterday I tried using Chrome and was not logged off. Today I'll go back to IE and see if I'm still having problems there. I'll update when I find out.

Addendum: Saturday morning
Friday afternoon I started a session with IE. It "remembered me" correctly but after about 50 minutes it insisted I log in as a subscriber. I was shifting to a new page on a thread.

Friday evening I returned using Chrome. It also correctly "remembered me". I was on from about 6:50 pm to 10:30 pm working on My Anime without a problem.

It is apparently a problem with IE.

It happened again Saturday morning after being in the forums for about an hour. This time instead of marking all threads as unread, everything was marked as read when I logged back in. Weird.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Sometime in the last half hour I was logged off without my knowledge.
EDIT 2: I deleted most of this post because I realized that I caused the problem myself by accidentally clearing the ANN cookies from Firefox.
There is a function that does not work quite the way that I thought that it did.

I am going to leave the rest of the post because I am wondering if anybody else noticed this:
EDIT: I had turned off my computer for about an hour and when I came back to the forums I was automatically logged in. Not only do things seem to be normal but I think that I noticed an improvement.

When I click on the "View newest post" button for a thread it actually shows the posts that are new since my last visit. Previously it would not show posts that were made before my latest log on. That had been a problem for a few years, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

"Safe Mode"?? I can't find anything of that name in the browser. Does IE call it something else?

IE calls it "no add ons."
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Since my last post I have been using Chrome with no problems. I was using it rather extensively to complete the My Anime listing which took a few hours.

Tomorrow I'll try a session under IE and check for the no add ons setting. I'll post back when I see what happens.

Edit, Thursday.
I didn't find a button labeled "no add ons" but I did find a place to manage add ons. I disabled the few that were in operation. I still got logged off though.

I'll probably stick with Chrome to view the site as it doesn't seem to have problems.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The "no-add on" should be another button somewhere in your start menu, not a button within the program itself.

If you're happy with Chrome (personally, it is a better browser) then we'll leave it at that. But if you want to move back to IE, I'm happy to continue trying to help you.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, no such button in the start menu. I looked through all of the folders there and while I found a number of accessories and small programs I don't use I didn't find anything related to IE.

I honestly don't see a lot of difference between IE and Chrome other then where they hide the controls. I prefer IE simply since I have used it since it came out and don't have to think about where things are. (like how to print)

It bothers me, mildly, that some thing is broken. If you have other suggestions I'll be happy to try them. I suspect this is due to some automatic update to IE since I didn't change anything myself. The only other sites I log onto for any length of time are Crunchyroll and Funimation. I haven't had any problems with Cruncyroll and I'm not currently following anything at Funimation.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
It's been happening to me too. Most recently just a few minutes ago. Same browser that Alan is using. This is a new problem that appears to have started sometime in the last couple of weeks. I don't use Chrome, or Firefox. All threads in the various fora were marked as unread when I first entered the site. Now they're all marked as read.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
It is still happening to me. I had to go back to using IE because Chrome doesn't play well with Outlook. It is not happening as often as originally but the boards have been slow and I may just not be on that long.

This is irritating to deal with but not fatal.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Alan, are you still using IE 11.0.9600.17843 ?
Cheefner, what version are you using ?

You're both subscribers, is this happening exclusively on fast, or does it also happen when you browse on WWW ?

Also, does this ever happen while reading articles, or only while browsing the forum ?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Sorry, no such button in the start menu. I looked through all of the folders there and while I found a number of accessories and small programs I don't use I didn't find anything related to IE.

Strange that the item doesn't appear in the start menu. You can change to "NoAdd-ons" by typing this in your address bar: about:NoAdd-ons (clicking the link should work also).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3