• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone seen a canon harem ending?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty much the only way the situation could've ended without pissing everybody off - everybody was adamant on their ship, so declaring somebody else canon would've just been asking for it. Speaking of which, here's an interesting note about the Tenchi ship wars I picked up somewhere: apparently quite a few people ended up shipping him with Sasami despite not being altogether comfortable with the concept. I suppose that's bound to happen when you make the loli perfect wife material and stick her amongst the inmates of an asylum, though(and we all know that she gets the most D out of all of them).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
An omake by Kajishima all but confirms the happy harem outcome of Tenchi. It's set significantly in the future and features spoiler[two half-siblings, children of Tenchi's, born in the same year.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Quote:
quite a few people ended up shipping him with Sasami despite not being altogether comfortable with the concept.

I don't see the problem. Sasami is not going to be underage forever. All that is needed is a bit of patience and Tenchi is clearly shown to be patient. When you live for several hundred years an initial age difference of an apparent 5 to 7 years is not significant.

Both she and Ayeka are a couple of hundred years old. The only reason she is not physically mature is that the ship held them in stasis after they left Jurai. We even know what she will look like when she matures.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Actually, Tenchi's eventual lifespan is speculated at tens of thousands of years. Washu and sisters were searching for a being that could become more powerful than they are and Tenchi is supposed to become that powerful. And in that omake it apparently explains (I haven't actually read it) that Tenchi's son spoiler[marries the sister of the first emperor of Jurai (Azusa's father, the founder of the empire).] When Kajishima ignores age barriers he really ignores age barriers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I never liked the SasamixTenchi ship. Too bro x sis. :/ Sasami's cute but her 'perfect waifu' persona always bugged me a little bit. Why does a very young Jurain princess know so much about taking care of a house of people anyway? Princesses have servants to cook and clean for them! It doesn't make that much sense.

While I don't know which 'waifu' was most popular in Japan, I think the majority of the US Tenchi fans were Team Ryoko or Team Nobody. Anime hyper
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I've always assumed that Tenchi would take everyone, including the new additions from the third OAV series. Keeping the peace in a harem that large would demonstrate that he had the administrative and diplomatic skills to be king or at least crown prince.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's what happens according to 'Word of God'.....but I don't think that's what all the fans wanted.

Is what I'm saying.

Call me old-fashioned but "harem endings for the lose". I never like them....it's just wrong to me. Love should be with two people ONLY!

That third OVA character design was sooo ugly. D: How did it go wrong with the same designer!?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Ah, but Tenchi has a big heart! Think of all the broken hearts if Tenchi did decide on one.

Look at it this way, The King of Jurai has the two of his wives that we see as his equivalent to Prime Minister and Head of the Department of Defense. Not a bad deal. The King gets to claim his portion of space and the women get to run it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Sasami's cute but her 'perfect waifu' persona always bugged me a little bit. Why does a very young Jurain princess know so much about taking care of a house of people anyway? Princesses have servants to cook and clean for them! It doesn't make that much sense.

What I find interesting is that I don't think that was the original plan. Her first appearance in the series was as a mischievous brat, prodding Tenchi to get into a fight with Ayeka. Then suddenly she was a perfect little lady. I think she got stuck with the housekeeper role once Kajishima realized he already had too many mischief makers and Tenchi needed an ally.

But you know what's worse than a harem ending in which everyone is chosen (IMO)? A harem ending where one is chosen but the others are stuck still in love with the male lead and never moving on. The manga endings of Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi both suffer from this to an extent. Both have modest flash forwards but the characters who were stuck on the main character before remain still single and stuck in amber- maybe even actively still hoping they can fit in somehow.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

But you know what's worse than a harem ending in which everyone is chosen (IMO)? A harem ending where one is chosen but the others are stuck still in love with the male lead and never moving on. The manga endings of Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi both suffer from this to an extent. Both have modest flash forwards but the characters who were stuck on the main character before remain still single and stuck in amber- maybe even actively still hoping they can fit in somehow.

Not even close. What's worse is that the "harem breaking" moment was Ai Yori Aoshi's beginning, not ending. The show was just watching other girls show up for no reason with zero chance of breaking the main couple. Tina Foster Forever!

Love Hina though? The only girl I buy with genuine feelings was Otohime and I can easily believe she became a mistress to both of them; It's private though, no need to get into details. In my mind, the absolute worst is Negima and its ending of "Who knows?" Akamatsu teased several different girls in the finale and Negi eventually choose someone as Chao is still his ancestor but who it was seems to be kind of contentious because with time travel involved, he may as well have chosen one in each world; It differs for each medium and they're all canon somehow. There is a followup series but the question at that point is "who cares?" spoiler[The name would seem to point to Konoe. Konoka Konoe? That doesn't even make sense because wasn't she gay? Wait, she and Setsuna got married in the same year but it was never said to each other.] Very contentious, yes.

In general, the more fantastic the setting, the more I accept a harem ending; Shuffle could have gone that way and I would have been perfectly fine with it and I believe the Negima movie went with this ending though I've never seen it.

Is This a Zombie?, is this a harem? Since the entire cast is somewhat immortal, every ending/pairing possible probably occurs, including an "all the above" one. It's their undead/magical garment girl life, who are we to judge?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2