• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help with Wolf's Rain on DVD!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FargoDog

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I'm new to the forum, though I've been reading the site for quite a while. Feel free to shout at me if I've done something wrong.

I've been wanting to pick up Wolf's Rain for a while now, but almost everywhere it's out of print and costs a ridiculous amount of money to pick up, with a few exceptions. I have the opportunity to buy a used Perfect Collection set from the US, or a set from Madman. However, I've heard bad things about the bootlegged Perfect Collection sets and also bad things about Madman's NTSC-PAL transfers.

Can anyone advise me on how to spot a bootleg of the Perfect Collection, and also how Madman's set of Wolf's Rain stacks up? I have a region free player, so that's not an issue.

Thanks!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what Madman's release would be like. But I've come across an Anime Legends set of Wolf's Rain Perfect Collection at a decent price and all signs point to it being legit.

Bandai Anime Legends set (Region 1)

As always for stuff like this, I advise you snag this quick since I see there are several watchers eyeing the listing as I speak.

EDIT: Looks like someone bought the set unfortunately. I do see a couple listings for Region 4 copies of Wolf's Rain from Madman selling at about $60 a piece. Of course since I have no way of knowing what Madman's legit release of the series is like, approach with caution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Just a few tips to help in your search:

- NEVER trust a stock photo. Always ask a seller for photos of the actual item if you're buying from a third-party (ie - NOT Baidai themselves or a legitimate re-seller).

- You can usually tell a genuine, factory-sealed item by whether or not it has the security sticker along its top edge. ALL Bandai 'Anime Legends' and 'Perfect Collection' titles will have this sticker if they're legit brand-new.

- Bootlegs will almost always be in clear jewel cases.

- Once you've purchased, the easiest way to tell if you have a bootleg copy is to pop it into your computer and check the size of the disc. If it's LARGER than 4.75 gigs, you've got a legit copy. Bootleggers uses DVD-5s, which means they can't put any more than 4.75 gigs on the disc. Bandai uses DVD-9s. Click here for a photo detailing the difference between what a legit and a bootleg dvd will look like.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Also, if it's "Region 0/Region Free" or has "Chinese/mandarin subtitles" that's a huge giveaway that it's not a legit US product. 90% of US anime releases will be region 1 and not many releases from the states would have Chinese subtitles. Of course that's just for DVDs.

For BDs, the US and Japan are both in Region A, so there are more official Japanese releases that include English subs, sometimes even dubs. I also believe there are a few "international" BD produced in Japan that have many languages on them, Gundam Unicorn and Time of Eve: The Movie for instance. This makes the question of whether it's a bootleg even more complicated.
FargoDog

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the help! I have a friend who had one of the old limited edition boxes and I managed to buy it from him for about $90 US. It was more than I was hoping to pay, but outside of Madman's release (which I could find basically zero information on) copies seem unbelievably scarce. I held out for a few years, hoping for a reissue or a blu-ray release, but seems that won't be happening anytime soon.

The advice on bootlegs was great. I've always managed to get copies of stuff from Amazon, Play-Asia or KimichiDVD so it's good to know what to look for in the future.

Thanks again!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
FargoDog wrote:
bad things about Madman's NTSC-PAL transfers

For the record: all recent Madman discs for new titles are converted to PAL (where they are in PAL; for some titles they borrow the US discs so they are NTSC) from the HD masters by speeding up by 4% and pitch correcting the audio. They usually do a good job (I have some PAL speedup discs from other companies where the pitch correction has introduced noticeable artifacts).
For older titles where only NTSC masters were available (and probably interlaced at that) it will be different of course, and I expect Wolf's Rain falls into that category. I don't have Wolf's Rain and being from Beez in the UK they wouldn't have used the same masters anyway. I don't recall any particular problems with older Madman-authored PAL discs, but then I rarely had anything to compare to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1