• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actually, I Am… (TV)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote

Actually, I Am...(TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, supernatural
Themes: vampires

Plot Summary: Kuromine is a guy who does not lie, hence his nick name "a bag full of holes". But everyone has secrets, and even Kuromine has one. Meet the very lovely, elegant, and mysterious Shiragami whom Kuromine has new found affections for... But what is this? Why does she have humongous wings when no one's looking and super long canines? something is very different about this girl...
----------------------------------

Another monster themed series. It's also a rom-com with some supernatural twists. Now, the artwork is something I have mixed feelings on but I like the VA castings so far. I think Yuu Serizawa is one of the more lesser well known VA choices for the series so I'm curious to see how she will play the main girl, Youko.

Looking forward to the comedy aspect of this adaptation though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I have a bit of problem with Youko's voice. I think it'll take some time to get used to...

Comedy was alright I guess. The best parts imo are probably the face expression/reactions though. So far, it seems only slightly above average for me. Comedy saved some bits of the show but others not so much.

I'll have to give the show a few more episodes to see where it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly alright. I didn't like the art style at first but it sort of grew on me. While I can't say I find it pretty, I don't find it bad, either. Sort of unique, maybe.
The friends are actually pretty fun too, and so was the comedy, most of the time.
The only thing I'm sort of on the fence about is the harem-ish feel the OP gave me. Not having read the manga I don't know if it'll go that route but I hope not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

The OP promises some raunchy ecchi added in, but this first episode actually felt quite inoffensive. And in my opinion it feels like using that inoffensiveness for kind of honest look at these characters as a foundation might make this interesting. There seems to be hints that we will probably get some crazy fiction of other girls, and that can be kind of fun.

Some people apparently don't like the animation, but I kind of like it, I can deal with something like this every so often that looks a little different to others.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
I didn't really mind the bland character designs, but all is forgiven every time Shiragami smiles. She's positively radiant.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

I have a bit of problem with Youko's voice. I think it'll take some time to get used to...

I find her accent adorable.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote

A new kind of MC.
Can't lie & can't keep secrets.
Had higher expectations..
So far nothing that special.
I'll give it one more episode.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving Youko's fangs - they seem so natural and they're adorable. Maybe it's just my limited frame of reference talking, but they're the best rendition I can think of at the moment. I'm liking the art style in general, but the fangs stood out to me.

I'm also really liking the MC's friends, which is kind of a unique thing for me when it comes to series of this type.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
I really like the manga. Not a fan of them rushing the introduction of Mikan and Nagisa's introductions though (Mikan didn't even appear until the end of the first chapter originally), nor the medicore production values. Nagisa's voice is also a bit too high and soft for my liking.

Still, though, I liked what I saw, and hope to see more.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I liked this first episode.

For the record, "leaky sieve" is a better translation for "anazaru."
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

So Nagisa is a tiny alien. Reminded me of spoiler[Men In Black]...lol.

Anyways, funny episode. I'm getting used to Youko's voice now. The humor is quite pleasing from the facial expressions of the characters to the conversation between Nagisa and Asahi. I think the show has a fun way of getting characters to express their thoughts in a very direct way; mostly from Nagisa this week though.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Poor Asahi found himself in tough situation.
Shiragami really likes to eat...
Now even Aizawa... spoiler[an alien]... weirdness..
Pretty unbelievable stuff going on.
That Asahi.. he's just too nice.
Will give it one more episode before my final decision.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So Kuromine cannot keep a secret but as I see it at the end of the first episode he is already keeping two: 1) that Shiragami is a vampire and 2) he has romantic feelings for her.

Undermine-able premise is undermined.

Shiragami is cute but I don't know if that is going to be enough to sustain this story. I rather like Kerosine's friends; they are taking a more prominent role than that character type usually does.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So Kuromine cannot keep a secret but as I see it at the end of the first episode he is already keeping two: 1) that Shiragami is a vampire and 2) he has romantic feelings for her.
Undermine-able premise is undermined.

What I got from him not being able to keep a secret is that he has his emotions on his face, not that he's a blabbermouth. I don't know how someone would find out about the first from him short of directly questioning him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Fun. This was kind of fun, so far they are avoiding some pitfalls of the genre. Must admit I had Men In Black on my mind that she is a tiny alien inside a robot suit, so I found it funny when it was revealed that her planned tool of memory erasure was a hammer.

A problem I am having with some comments I have seen from people on the show, shouting out things like he got "friend zoned", kind of rude. She needed a friend, he in the show might not have liked the distinction, but he should be happy that he is making her happy. Her saying that she would support him before the other two got angry at him was funny.

As long as no one actually questioned him if his classmates are a vampire and an alien, it is not like others would find out easily. But with what we saw at the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7