• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actually, I Am… (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
She needed a friend, he in the show might not have liked the distinction, but he should be happy that he is making her happy.

If he lets this situation go on too long he has only himself to blame if he has been friend-zoned. I can understand putting it off given all the curve-balls being pitched at him but ultimately he is going to have to make a move or just forget about it.

Easier said than done I know, but not impossible.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Well she definitely needs a friend or two before she's ready for a boyfriend. So I'm glad he's the sort not to push for it too quickly.

The second episode was a lot of fun. I'm a little surprised at how much I'm enjoying all the inadvertently stabby banter among them and the reaction faces. Normally I'd be sighing and ready to bail by now, so I guess it speaks well for how they're putting this all together and making all the characters so likeable (with the exception of journalist girl) when their archetypes are ones I usually can't stand.

I almost did a spit-take when Aizawa popped out of the hatch. Laughing I knew the screw was important, but I didn't see that coming. I hope that, unlike Show by Rock!, we eventually get to find out what specifically she's here to investigate.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So Kuromine cannot keep a secret but as I see it at the end of the first episode he is already keeping two: 1) that Shiragami is a vampire and 2) he has romantic feelings for her.

Undermine-able premise is undermined.

Item 1 works because the fact that Shiragami is a vampire is so outlandish that there's no way to accidentally spill the beans. Surely people will be able to figure out there's something going on between Kuromine and Shiragami but who is going to make the logical leap to vampire? Kuromine's tells combined with secrets too strange for people to guess is comedic misunderstanding fodder.

Item 2 works because Shiragami is dense, at the very least when it pertains to herself. I assume this is due to her general lack of interaction with people on account of being a vampire. He's already been unable to keep this secret from anyone but Shiragami herself.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Item 1 works because the fact that Shiragami is a vampire is so outlandish that there's no way to accidentally spill the beans. Surely people will be able to figure out there's something going on between Kuromine and Shiragami but who is going to make the logical leap to vampire

If I understand Kuromine's affliction correctly, all someone has to do is ask him something like "is there something strange about her?" and it will be pretty much game over. His friends seem pretty grounded and perceptive as well as actively curious. Sooner or later they will take the opportunity to drill down on the relationship status.

It was cute, however, how it ended up that spoiler[Shiragami spilled her secret before Kerosine did. ]

But by the end of Episode 2 Keromine now has yet another big secret to keep so the risk factor for him goes up again. I am thinking by the end of the story he will turn out to have master skills at discretion but never knew it.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
If I understand Kuromine's affliction correctly, all someone has to do is ask him something like "is there something strange about her?" and it will be pretty much game over.

Nope, Kuromine is not a blabber mouth, he is honest to a fault. So if someone asks the above question, it will become apparent he is not telling them all the little details about why Shiragami has been a total loner, but unless they ask Eromine something very specific like "Is she a vampire/undead/bloodsucker/supernatural" to learn the truth ... or hide an usb device to hear what they were talking about Anime hyper
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

LOL, Mikan in a nutshell this episode. I actually thought it was funny considering how much she took the drama with that photograph. As for the characters, I kinda enjoy seeing their over exaggerated expressions.

Same with those delusions including that prince-like scene Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Man, Mikan's an ass, and not even the entertaining kind. The harem aspect is starting to annoy me, too
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it was pretty obvious when we saw what she did to him in the past is that she really wanted his attention. So is she a sadist, or a tsundere? Or some other Freudian reason like that he is naturally bad at lying, and she wants to know a lot about him?

Other parts I enjoyed included Aizawa's imagine sequence with him as a prince. and Shiragami's imperfection of hiding her mess in the closet, which now that I think about it there is probably a joke that could be made in relation to secrets.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Ugh I hate glasses girl. She deserves a good slap in the face.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Little boys pull the hair of girls they like because they don't know how else to express their feelings, or so the cliche goes. Mikan, on the other hand, is far older, and yet she is even worse because she wants to be close to her crush by spreading very personal information about him and ruining his reputation. Not cool.

"So long as I'm such an awful person, I can stay childhood friends with Asahi forever."

Teenage girl logic at its finest.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So is she a sadist, or a tsundere?

Quote:
"So long as I'm such an awful person, I can stay childhood friends with Asahi forever."

Teenage girl logic at its finest.

Actually her behavior is criminally actionable. Harassing Asahi is bad enough but she doesn't seem to care at all who she damages in the process.

I get the feeling the author wrote this character with the idea of sending radically mixed signals in an attempt to make her interesting. For me it isn't working. And then the talking glasses. So it seems pretty obvious that whatever else each girl needs a "secret" to become part of the harem.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
^
Her behaviour is definitely wrong. Taking humiliating photos of his friends just to punish them for not spilling the beans is several dozen steps too far. While gloating and cackling while she makes Asahi's life miserable rubs me the wrong way.

And the attempt at the end of the episode to humanise her fell flat. Giving her sapient glasses is just bizarre, and having her want to stay friends with Asahi by bullying him is facepalm logic.

But even worse than all that, her antics aren't even all that funny. I can tolerate mean characters if they also make me laugh but Mikan is just nasty full stop. Rather than being entertaining she just made me cringe.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy Mikan's running animations, they're delightful. She's like a kid pretending to be an airplane. I'm also a fan of the talking eyeglasses (that no one else seems to be) - they're clearly trying to correct her shortsightedness.

Despite all this she's still pretty annoying and I hope that she settles down a bit in the coming episodes to a more tolerable level of cruelty.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Oh poor Nagisa this episode. I mean, getting stuck in her miniature form is one thing but getting played by as a "figure" is another. Obviously, there's also something weird going on with the school's principal from the background.

Felt like a flag was triggered for Nagisa towards Kuromine though; like the romance kind. As for Mikan, I was almost expecting her to go yandere-like this episode lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I had been wondering since the first episode why only Shiragami is allowed to use heels during school time but only in this episode did I realize that pretty much nobody but the Class Rep uses the standard school shoes.
As for the episode itself, why in the flying hell didn't Class Rep ask Shiragami to help her with the body? She doesn't have a problem lying (so the teacher would just let her go to the bathroom without her needing to pretend she was about to poop herself), she obviously has access to the girl's bathroom with no issues, and it's much less of a problem if she's found carrying the body to the nursery (something like 'I found her collapsed in the bathroom' could easily work as an excuse).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7