• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actually, I Am… (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Mostly hit for me. I just love watching the screwball harem muck around.

And with the second half, the principal is a good character in how she uses her powers pretty much to throw a tantrum and get chocolate. We got the focus with the teacher too, and I thought that the shot showing how her great great grandmother screws with her, and taking the chance to get revenge with her. A comedy series with a plot on cooking became a world endangering event, unnecessarily too because really she could have just asked. I half expected the chocolate to turn into curry, but Shiagami handled that.

Well Harem anime often recycle the same jokes, this has largely felt like it has not.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a little sad that this series hasn't managed to climb out of mediocrity when I desperately want it to. The early signs were promising, but I'm going to agree with those who find the pure-comedy episodes to be disappointing. They're pretty funny, but not funny enough to survive on that alone, and they throw away opportunities for character or plot development or even just a bit of warm 'n' fuzzy in service of the romantic bit of the romantic comedy.

All that said, the the-world-is-about-to-end montage was fantastic and probably the single best gag the show has done. I also enjoy the idea that Shiho tries to use her perversity to cover up for her weaknesses.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The one joke that actually made me laugh was the sudden appearance of a cake. Unfortunately the joke got immediately ruined by the Souma-like overreaction to eating it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I have become Death, Destroyer of Worlds! Or a chocoholic, one or the other.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have become Death, Destroyer of Worlds! Or a chocoholic, one or the other.

Did you ever have to deal with a deprived chocoholic? DDoW might be the safer choice.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I was kinda bored with this episode at first but the second half made it up. Mostly, it comes from the genuine bonding between Kuromine and Youko at the pools. Seems like that reminded the school principal of something she saw in the past as well.

As usual, Nagisa is more of the comedic relief. Poor her lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I was actually thinking last week that we still haven't had the obligatory beach/pool episode.

Stark700 wrote:
the second half made it up. Mostly, it comes from the genuine bonding between Kuromine and Youko at the pools.

Yeah return to form. This is what I had been waiting for and the show delivered. A sweet, heart warming moment. I was afraid that Akane was going to ruin it, but good thing she just wanted to observe them.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought that this episode was a return to form after two quite drab showings the past two weeks. A swimsuit episode would obviously help to that but hey, I'm not complaining.

I like Akane but I'm not sure they no what to do with her. For me her role should just be tinkering with the group like she did with Nagisa's size, rather than smashing into the episode like a diabetic wrecking ball through a candy shop window.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh? No Akane direct interference? That is excellent news. I was actually considering dropping this series because of the injection of her and Shiho, both of whom I consider annoying intrusions that add little to the comedy.

Aizawa > Shiragami. Too bad Aizawa is forever stuck in the friendzone. She brought it onto herself though.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of weird to think a swimsuit episode, of all things, is probably the best episode so far. At last, some advancement in the relationship between our leads!

I was a little surprised when the three girls came out and Shiho's swimsuit wasn't glaringly more risque. Not a complaint, just an observation. I can only assume they're continuing to observe the line they seem to have set for where and how the show will be lewd.

If only the show as this good all the time.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Where the hell does Yoko hide her wings? Assuming they're physical and not magical somehow, she must have a slit in her back somewhere...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Where the hell does Yoko hide her wings? Assuming they're physical and not magical somehow, she must have a slit in her back somewhere...

They also go through her clothes without damaging anything, so my guess is magical wings or the author just doesn't care
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Of course the author doesn't care... lol

But if they were magical, why would stretching them feel good?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

This was so cute when they were together, Asahi and Youko. But oh that smirk when she think him and Aizawa were having a moment. At the least pretty much everyone was happy for him in managing to get closer to Youko. Really it just felt good that even the fact that this whole gang is involved is actually a good thing for her.

Even the crass part where the pervy friend got taken away for following Shiho's instructions was kind of funny, more so when we saw him with a police officer who was saying that he understood how he feels. Laughing

I would wonder about the difference of swimming for Aizawa who's size I would assume would make swimming in her normal body different.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
What a cliffhanger. Nagisa will have a lot to explain next time. And as usual, Akane and her mischievousness thanks to those clones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7