• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
So couldn't Kagame plead insanity and get off (even if he doesn't want to)?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

If true this is f-ing messed up. I had read some articles at some time that said something along the lines insanity pleas actually often result in even harsher (longer/stricter) sentencing. There would have to be something seriously messed up that people deemed dangerously insane could be let back into public like this. That someone could openly say that they would receive the insanity plea like that should actually make it less likely to pass.

And where are the lawyers in this anime? The guy who should be at questioning and put in the insanity plea.

I just don't feel good after this episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So couldn't Kagame plead insanity and get off (even if he doesn't want to)?

On what grounds? Insane people don't take the trouble to prepare mixers and conveyer belts for the express purpose of turning a human being into offal.

Considering the whole series is based on the horror writings of a long-dead writer living in a different age to this, the adaptation still has resonance with viewers today.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
On what grounds? Insane people don't take the trouble to prepare mixers and conveyer belts for the express purpose of turning a human being into offal.

I dunno, sounds pretty insane to me. The guy kidnapping girls and turning them into walls if they didn't join his family got off for insanity and that was certainly a lot of premeditation and trouble he went to.

If getting out of a murder rap is as easy as being drunk, being driven over the edge as Kagame was would seem to be a slam dunk.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I dunno, sounds pretty insane to me. The guy kidnapping girls and turning them into walls if they didn't join his family got off for insanity and that was certainly a lot of premeditation and trouble he went to.

If getting out of a murder rap is as easy as being drunk, being driven over the edge as Kagame was would seem to be a slam dunk.

It might have been the case in the Showa era, but not so today. If the Aum Sarin gas incident in the 1990s is any indication, insanity as a mediating factor in the Japanese courts was tightened up after Edogawa wrote his novels.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
If that's the perspective you're taking, then none of these characters would have gotten off and the story wouldn't have had a plot. Within the framework of the story as the story was presented, he should have as good or better case for an insanity plea as any of the criminals he saw being released did. He wanted to be punished, but within the story's legal system, it's unlikely that he would be.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If that's the perspective you're taking, then none of these characters would have gotten off and the story wouldn't have had a plot. Within the framework of the story as the story was presented, he should have as good or better case for an insanity plea as any of the criminals he saw being released did. He wanted to be punished, but within the story's legal system, it's unlikely that he would be.

That's perhaps the point of the whole arc, insanity pleas AT THE TIME OF WRITING probably allowed criminals of that sort to get away with what they did, the fact that Kagami isn't bothering to enter a similar plea nor would he be diagnosed as mentally ill if they forced it on him adds an extra level of poignancy to the character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
But Kagami is in the same time frame/universe as the criminals who did get off with an insanity plea. Arguing that they got off because of when it was written but he wouldn't get off because of how things are now makes no sense.

My point is that Kagami would get off just like his victims did, for the same reason, which is the irony of the story.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But Kagami is in the same time frame/universe as the criminals who did get off with an insanity plea. Arguing that they got off because of when it was written but he wouldn't get off because of how things are now makes no sense.

My point is that Kagami would get off just like his victims did, for the same reason, which is the irony of the story.

Even in the story, what makes you think Kagami would get treated for insanity? His sister is murdered in a horrible manner by a serial killer diagnosed with mental disorders, he seeks no help nor is given counselling by his department and continues on with his work. Now that he has been found guilty of mimicking the 22-mask killer, the sentence given to him WON'T be reduced on account of insanity, especially since the person himself has refused to offer that plea nor will the psychiatrists play along with an appropriate diagnosis.

Fat kidnapping otaku: Guilty of his crimes but the "psychological disease" he suffers from is very plain, problem being the society in the series not locking him up in a mental hospital.

Shadow man: Same problem, but to a lesser degree and he hasn't been caught yet.

Black Lizard: She IS incarcerated in the Shinjuku underground prison, yet going by her appearance and mannerisms you would think she'd be diagnosed with some form of psychiatric disorder.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Even in the story, what makes you think Kagami would get treated for insanity?

Because he's insane? I don't think we'll get an answer either way, so see it as you choose.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The way her dress moved in the wind Anime cry
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Hmm, I had to skim through the latest episode a bit. I think it's the weakest one so far from the season especially with the amount of humor involved. I mean, the case involved a timed bomb on Shadow Man but I just couldn't take it seriously with the way the episode was directed.

Nice to see Kagami make a cameo at the end though but I didn't find it more appealing than that. Hopefully the show gets back on its track soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Surreal. Considering this episode too is based on a short story in one of Edogawa's anthologies, I spent more time laughing at the absurdity of the situations rather than focusing on the episode's mechanics.

The scene at the end does point to the series going back to basics, since the motif appears to be the hunt for the real 22-mask and Akechi's secret which the Shadow Man appears to have sniffed out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

A cat, a baby, a lolicon strapped to a bomb, and terrorist extremist. That is one eventful day. I laughed when it seemed that the bomb was a present from black lizard to him for her birthday, but again that the other incidents were not caused by her at all.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
I laughed a lot during the episode, which is exactly what was needed after what happened last time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5