• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is binge watching (marathoning) bad for watching anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Might be the wrong place to post this, but it was something that occurred to me last night after watching Hibike! Euphonium.

Do you think that binge watching (or marathoning) a show (any show, anime or not) is a bad way to watch it?

My main one is that, at least for me, when I start binge watching a show, it no longer becomes about the tiny details. When I commit to watching more than four episodes at a time, at that point, I no longer try to focus on the small details that can make or break a show. I only care about the big moments.

Why? Because I don't have the luxury of watching the same episode two or three times with nothing else to do. Instead of sitting back, thinking about what happened, and just enjoying the experience of the episode, I immediately start watching the next one. I feel that this takes away so much from the experience.

So, out of curiosity, what do you think? Is it good to binge watch a show or bad?
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
I think that it is bad to make a commitment to watch all of it, because then it can seem like a chore rather than entertainment.
But there is nothing wrong with watching a show in whatever way you enjoy.

I usually watch only two or three episodes without taking a break, and I almost never watch more than four or five episodes, whatever is on a disc, at a time. But that is just what I am comfortable with.

Just do what you like.
If you realize that what you are doing is interfering with your enjoyment of the show then yes, it is bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
It depends on the type of show. Marathoning a comedy is horrible. On the other hand, more story-driven shows (especially those with multiple story threads) can improved by marathoning, as it's easier to connect things from one episode to the next when you just watched it, rather than having watched it a week ago and not necessarily understanding what was important.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
While it does depend on the type of show, I generally speaking prefer to marathon anime because for some reason I gradually lose interest to a show as time goes by. This is why I like to marathon all the "good stuff" because I can sort ride on the excitement the first episode gave me. When I watch a show weekly I lose the unique feeling I got from the first episode and the following episodes will feel kind of mundane and will be difficult to get into. So the shows that I do watch weekly are the shows that I feel like won't be interesting enough for me to marathon. That being said, some shows are not ideal for marathoning, however those are the kind of shows that I usually don't like anyway, like (strictly) comedy or cute-girls-doing-cute-things.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to agree that it depends. Rule of thumb is that the more slower-paced or episodic the show is, the less episodes you'll want to watch a day. (Princess Tutu, as much as I love it, is just one of those shows you just CANNOT binge watch.) If the anime in question is arc-based or has incredibly fast-pacing, you'll want to binge watch it. (Attack on Titan is a good choice, as well as most shonen anime out there.)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Something like Haibane Renmei, which is sedately paced (even when the plot gets into gear) should not -- in my opinion -- be marathoned. Something like Attack on Titan -- with all of its cliff hangers -- definitely can be marathoned.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Short answer, no, not at all. This all depends on the individual watcher. If you enjoy a marathon of a given show I can't see how it would be bad. I'll admit though, that I'm good for a maximum of six or so episodes a day regardless of the number of shows involved.

I have trouble maintaining enthusiasm for a lot of shows on a week to week basis. As each season starts I'll try several shows but by the end I'm down to one or two. Usually there will be a couple of additional shows that I will wait and watch all at once either streaming or when they come out on disk.

As far as the question of watching an episode several times. Most shows don't stand up to that sort of scrutiny. Any way I haven't that much time. There is too much other good stuff to watch.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Binge watching is always better (I do it frequently), you complete something faster and the impression is probably better if you do it all at once. Sometimes I can watch an entire one course series in a single day, no matter how bad it is. Never found a downside to it and it is part of the reason I rarely watch something while it is airing.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I usually watch 3-4 episodes at a time. And I usually wait until a series is mostly finished, if not completely finished before I start watching it. I've never been a fan of the one episode per week schedule.

As others have said, it's a good idea to only do a few episodes at a time when watching more thoughtful, slower paced shows. I only watched 2-3 episodes at a time of Serial Experiments Lain so I could stop and reflect on what I just watched.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel like if I could marathon Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works from start to finish, I wouldn't be stuck complaining about the little things I noticed with individual episodes, instead judging it as a whole.

Of course, I can also only stomach a few episodes at a time of Ranma 1/2.

Strangely, a story doesn't have to be a shounen action show for me to marathon it. I watched all of Princess Tutu in one sitting (and loved it).
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
It depends on the show. It is not like every anime has interesting massage, themes, etc. wroth thinking about. Sitting and contemplating series such as Death Note, I consider a waste of time. Series like Utena, on the other hand, are a different kettle of fish.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
Another person who marathoned Princess Tutu first time around.

These posts actually tell me what times I started and finished it. That's 18 hours 53 minutes so clearly I had some breaks. Maybe even a short sleep. It sure got its hooks into me.

(Almost 4½ years ago. Crying or Very sad )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
It depends. Normally I'll watch an hour of an anime TV show every weekday, but I'll watch an extra episode if that next episode is a continuation of the last one. If I'm watching an OVA that's split into separate episodes, I'll try watching the entire show. I don't find OVAs to be enjoyable if I'm watching just one episode of them a day since they usually last only three episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
It wasn't specified if we're talking about a first viewing or any viewing, so I'll say it depends on the series. If it's complex with a lot going on, I'd rather marathon it because of my swiss cheese memory. A prime example is Kyousogiga. Try as I might, I could not make heads or tails of it on a weekly basis and finally gave up in frustration after about 4 episodes, then marathoned it after it was done. It made infinitely more sense without the week between episodes during which I forgot half of what I'd seen, and I really loved it.

Still, I try to watch stuff as it airs just to avoid being spoiled while I'm waiting, and if not enough of the plot is sinking in, I'll give it a concentrated viewing afterward. There are very few anime I don't enjoy more the second time through, unless I really hated it the first time, in which case I probably won't rewatch it anyway.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
I never go into a show with the intention to marathon it, but I always keep the idea open that I may indeed marathon it. If I'm really into a show, I think marathoning is a good way to watch it, so long as it never feels like a chore. If a series compels me to watch more of it, then that's what I'm going to do, even if I went in expecting to watch maybe a few eps. This happened for Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, Princess Tutu, a lot of my favorites really. Once the series compels you to finish it no matter what, then watching anything else, no matter how good, becomes the chore instead.

Except on episodic series, then, marathoning is almost always a chore no matter how much I like it (like Dirty Pair or Mushishi, I love them, but some things are better in short bursts).

Also, binge-watching is totally what got me into Game of Thrones. It takes a few episodes to really get what's going on with that many characters and stuff, but now waiting a whole week is like torture (with about ten months being even more painful)

Last edited by zawa113 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2