• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classroom Crisis (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Classroom Crisis (TV)

Genres: school, slice of Life
Themes: space

Plot Summary: With aims to one day reach out into the stars, humanity has colonized all the planets of the solar system. This story of young high school hopefuls is set in Fourth Tokyo in a Japanese Martian prefecture. Iris Shirasaki is a third year student/aspiring test pilot. Mizuki Sera is her peer/mechanic and Mizuki's brother Kaito is their homeroom teacher and the young director of the program developing their talents.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Character Designs: http://www.classroom-crisis.com/character/

An original project with some school life themes and apparently has Gundam Build Fighters' director, Kenji Nagsaki involved. I think the series has some promise and the character designs are by Oreimo's Hiro Kanzaki. And also, Maruto (same person who worked on White Album 2) is doing the series composition so I'm expecting something special if he can pull it off again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote

spoiler[That Iris sure know how to make an entrance.
Kidnapped transfer student problem dominated throughout the episode.
The prototype, space fight and setting in the future give this a chance.
Well, at least they do with me.
So far, not bad with some fun parts.
Will decide after seeing more.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
From the opener, this series hasn't decided what it wants to be yet. I'll probably stick around a bit longer to see if they figure it out.

I just want to know how Iris got the ransom money. Last we knew they hadn't even decided to pay it, and even if they had, why would they hand it over to her?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I just want to know how Iris got the ransom money. Last we knew they hadn't even decided to pay it, and even if they had, why would they hand it over to her?

Out of their budget, which the show has already said has been a bit too much?

I can dig this, they created an interesting setting interplanetary transport where companies are a big thing. Then they focused more on a classroom filled with eccentric genius made for research and development, and now we have a savvy business guy that will try and make them efficient. My clearly flawed opinion thinks Bodacious Space Pirates meets Amagi Brilliant Park.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
So few get the show, even if the last classroom shot was everyone but the teacher dead white after Kiryu said why he was there?

Ok, this is Kiryu's key line about his role there at A-TEC. spoiler[ "The task I've been entrusted with is the dismantling of A-TEC. In other words, I'll be downsizing you."] Even the next episode title, "Classroom of downsizing"... well, there's the classroom crisis, right?

Wait, maybe not all of you speak businessese so I'll translate: spoiler["You're all fired. We'll be assessing your value in the upcoming period in which you'll either stay with the company or you'll be cut loose."]

"School-work-romance comedy" indeed so it'll be interesting so see where it goes from there. Kind of the opposite of Servant x Service and its use of civil servants and their job security creating a certain personality.

Anyway, I'm in. By the way, I'm betting on spoiler[Kiryu x Iris] because the idea's just too fun to pass up.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Meeeeeeh, maybe if the show was smart I'd be interesting, but it's not, it's clearly going for wacky high school, except not particularly funny and with too little joke since they spend too much time on the more serious stuff. Interestingly enough the serious part were the better part, the beginning where they were switching between the different perspective was pretty well done.

Sadly, it's just too dumb for that (dunno if they're aware of that). The biggest problem is that they just wasted billions of yens (millions of dollar I guess) for pretty much nothing since I'm pretty sure the company would have been able to get the kidnaper to wait longer if they gave them 10x what they asked. Then there's also that the kidnaper apparently weren't aware that the trip was impossible to make in time. Then that student were somehow able to scrap together 7.5 millions in cash (try to go to a bank and ask them for 750 000 $ in dollar cash, even if you have the money it's not gonna happen in a few hours). Then there's quiet girl (probably going to be the main heroine, shame since she's by far the least interesting) who apparently break the law every morning and never get caught. And this time too she'll just get away scott free after stealing company property and wasting billions. I could go one, but it' just not smart enough for that, so there only hope is too go 100% comedy, but I doubt that'll happen.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2...

Well it's still a slow paced story. However, I would like to say that the show really brings out Nagisa not just on-screen but some of his background info as well too. I mean, the part about him being elite....is interesting to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
"Caristo"? Rolling Eyes

Ok, despite some major info-dumpage, the second ep was better than the first. For some reason I'm kind of getting Planetes vibes now.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
Characters roles and the big picture got explained.
Felt like a documentary of sorts..
1st episode was much better.
Had higher expectation from this anime.
Dropping it after all..
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"Caristo"? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, that got me too. Surely someone in the staff or voice direction should have known the name but, nope, that's what they said. On the other hand, since it's Kirishima Heavy Industries, maybe they bought the naming rights and changed all the L to Rs. Or not.

Episode 2: Exposition City.

I like the set up, I like the details, I like Kiryu, I love Iris though I could take or leave the Sera siblings at this point.. and that's kind of the real problem; One's the teacher and the other is the class president so they have to be there but they don't add anything and they ultimately just take away from Kiryu and Iris's screen time.

I like the fact that Kiryu has no qualms with ATEC and if they can prove him wrong, he'll... wait, that's the plot of Major League or, just to be a little stranger, Gung Ho, a film where an American car company has to prove itself to its Japanese masters or face being shut down.

To simplify, the show is like a lot of things; It could reach being something on its own if it decides who the main character is.

If I stopped watching now, I wouldn't get any more Iris... not a good trade off. Yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Angelina is awesome, I thought that all the points she made were good ones. It might just be because I am an accounting major, but there is a lot to make me happy with her character, and in fact I did have thoughts about budget earlier. When the guy got angry at the teacher for only giving a list of prices for equipment without, I was totally with him at the need for accompanying reports to explain those explain the expenses.

People demonize those reports and mindset of accounting, but effective budget control and documentation is the life blood of any business. And some find it to be fun. Anime catgrin But this won't be staying an accounting anime, will it? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

My guess so far, the CEO is funnelling funds into something, like manufacturing weapons. Bringing that to light should help push business student up. But that half the class left already is not very happy.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well we pretty much know the half that left will come back… otherwise it's was really dumb of the anime to introduce them just to kick them out…

I'm in research and development, and man budget are brutal. The brand new equipment you brought out 3 year ago is now just rubbish you have trouble giving away for free and now there's a new model that you need otherwise science just leave you behind in it's dust. Of course that's not true of all department/equipment, there's still some interesting research to be done with decades old equipment, but there's less and less and the competition is fierce. Of course I doubt this anime will start talking about writing paper and impact factor.

At this time I'm mostly on the accounting side, if a department was bleeding money for years and then just trash there new equipment they'd not just be kicked out, they'd probably be sued. So for them to just waltz in and ask or more money and then complain...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
The thing is though, when you're talking about technical fields, real proper research is best done with two things: time and an open chequebook policy.

In the 1940s America spent today's equivalent of twenty-six billion dollars (over three-point-two trillion yen) on the Manhattan Project which allowed it to produce an entire weaponised nuclear program from the ground up in less than three years.

In 1966 nearly four and-a-half percent of the federal budget was spent on NASA, and it was in the 1960s that America made enormous technological advances in spaceflight culminating in the moon landings. It is telling that due to decades of budget cuts, America's space program is actually less advanced and far less capable than it was fifty years ago. That's what pinching money does; it hurts you.

In the noughties, Google allowed and even encouraged its employees to spend twenty percent of their time working on whatever they wanted to, on ideas that personally interested them. While the company gave its employees few financial resources on these pet projects (at least until the programs were well advanced), simply allowing employees to spend time on them is a form of resource-allocation. From these ideas the company developed projects such as Gmail and Google News, as well as internal-review methods to increase company-wide productivity.

My point is that while accountants are important to keep track of money, for an entity (whether a country or a company) to be successful it needs to innovate, both to maintain technological prowess and promote its brand. And real innovation is pricey and requires time (which is also expensive, considering the cost of salaries for many years).

If you're going to constantly question everything that your employees do and withhold funds from them until they jump through hoops, then they're going to be less productive. After all, they can't do the work that you have hired them to do if they are spending hours filling out irritating forms that have no meaning except to keep the paper-pushers happy. And no-one likes to work with someone leaning over their shoulder to make sure the

Heck, the penny-pinching culture has even extended to normal employees. A janitor shouldn't have to fill out a purchase order form just because he needs a new roll of duct-tape, yet that is what happens in many organisations. It's madness.

Accountants don't know how to build a rocket engine, or when genetic manipulation experiments will succeed, or what use a latest-model electron microscope can provide, or why a physicist might want to jot down their ideas on a chalkboard rather than a computer. So accountants should be as unobtrusive as possible instead of constantly second-guessing their fellow employees. Ultimately a company has to in good faith give people the resources and time that they need to do their jobs.

----------

Anyway, Angelina was a great addition to the cast and really carried the episode. She reminds me of hell: immensely hot (physically attractive, in her case), yet dangerous to anyone who comes near. Only someone as cold as Nagisa can withstand her.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This week episode… I'm all for anime tackling on complex issue, so long as they bother doing them well. The union side felt pointless, a long 10 minute joke with a middy amusing punch line. But on closer inspection, why can't Sera just turn down the promotion? Also why is the union suddenly leaving? It's not like all the student also got promoted to executive? And why was the union trying to protect them in the first place, the department is bleeding money for 11 job, how many manufacturing job could be supported with there budget, hundred maybe thousands?

And how come Nagisa never realize that promoting someone give them more power… And how did a big corporation ever keep a rule that pretty much give a big blank check to anyone in the executive to spend as much as they want, so long as they fill multiple paperwork? Oh and what happen to the whole "Nagisa is a student" aspect, he's clearing not attending any class, so why did they ever bother introducing this elements in the first place?

If this show just wants to "cute girl doing cute engineering things" that's perfectly fine, but then leave the serious topic aside.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
This week episode… I'm all for anime tackling on complex issue, so long as they bother doing them well. The union side felt pointless, a long 10 minute joke with a middy amusing punch line. But on closer inspection, why can't Sera just turn down the promotion? Also why is the union suddenly leaving? It's not like all the student also got promoted to executive? And why was the union trying to protect them in the first place, the department is bleeding money for 11 job, how many manufacturing job could be supported with there budget, hundred maybe thousands?

Weren't you paying attention, what the heads of the union wanted was the teacher, they wanted to use him as a political figurehead in upcoming elections to promote the interests of the people leading the union? Sure they cared about things like underage overtime, but the reason they helped here was largely for him to help them with his public image.

Indeed it was kid's own fault that the teacher could then circumvent him for money for equipment, but at the same time it is not all that terrible, in fact it looked like he was actually using his position to block them from buying the equipment that was needed. He pretty much actually gave praise in how money was spent, that work had to be done to separate and justify the purchases. The quote they gave earlier was likely over extravagant, and I wonder what their mode for purchasing everything they needed in one large sum might have cost rather than working on each deal. And then there are questions of expense vs asset, although I would probably see a high depreciation rate in R&D, some smart choices might save the on book expenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4