• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aoharu x Machinegun (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Aoharu x Machinegun (TV)

Genre: Comedy, Action, Shounen
Themes: survival game

Plot Summary: Hotaru Tachibana is a girl disguised as a boy. Through strange circumstances she finds herself drawn into the world of survival games by a host, Masamune Matsuoka. The two form a team with ero-manga artist Tohru Yukimura and aim to be the be the best in Japan.
----------------------------------
Survival game adaptation with a gender bender twist Laughing

From what I recall, the original series isn't that bloody and has more of comedy. I'm not sure how they will adapt this but they definitely chose quite a diverse voice cast for the main leads. Then, there's also the the actual story that focuses a bit of the survival game trope. Not expecting anything too serious but rather a load of fun from this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I know there's a survival game trope involved in this series but it's portrayed more as a comedy rather than something serious such as Akuma no Riddle, Btooom!, etc. Anyways, first episode has my attention so far with Hotaru as the main female lead. Yes, she looks like a guy because of the way she looks/dresses.

Action felt a bit fast and I guess, we'll meet the other guys (in the promo image) eventually. Masamune is a funny guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Tachibana looks like an interesting character.
Pretty impressive too!
Things got complicated rather fast.
That Masamune sure is a hottie O.O
Well... this looks like fun ^^
Will be watching it!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Comedy from this really isn't doing it for me. I do like how the action scenes are, though. The somewhat slowmo focus on each step/move with the strong sound effect are pretty good.
From the OP I almost thought this was going to be a Boys Love anime, then I remembered it's girl->boy crossdressing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Hotaru is really annoying. Her only redeeming feature right now is that she can back up most of her bluster.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get to see the "hero" get saved by the insecure pretty boy (IPB). Twisted Evil The drama should be as thick as syrup if the IPB is the knight in shining armor I'm hoping he is.

Hopefully we get to see some real "villians" and "evil."

I'm so excited! Twisted Evil
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I know there's a survival game trope involved in this series but it's portrayed more as a comedy rather than something serious such as Akuma no Riddle, Btooom!, etc. Anyways, first episode has my attention so far with Hotaru as the main female lead. Yes, she looks like a guy because of the way she looks/dresses.

Um, are you familiar with the anime Survival Game Club (Sabagebu), it is airsoft, a game where people play survival combat. Also see C3-bu.

People don't like the heroine, I think she is awesome. She started off chasing a bunch of thugs tried to bully someone out of their money, and tried to defend the honour of her friend who she thought got ripped off by hosts. Her friend should have done a better job at making sure Tachibana knew what actually happened to her money. Reverse trap character like this is kind of rare, and I did that there so far is not a freak-out in saying she is totally weird because she dresses in a male uniform, she just like to dress masculine.

I can count an amount of times a guy looks far too much like a girl, just look at the also current airing Laplace, it is refreshing to have this. It is kind of like Ouran's Haruhi, but she actually has the will to do something.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Count me as one of the people who likes Hotaru. I thought she was great.

I enjoyed most of the humor and thought the action was engrossing. So far, this is my favorite of the season.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I also really like the main character, although the way she refers to herself in the third person sounds very strange. Usually in anime it's the cutesy or eccentric characters who do this, so it really doesn't suit her, in my opinion. I guess they just needed some way to allow her to avoid gender-specific pronouns.

Anyway, none of the previous survival game themed anime really grabbed by attention, but I found myself pretty entertained by the first episode. I hope that continues.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

It is not that I am forgetting, that Hotaru is a girl, but I keep referring to her masculinely (him). But I am really liking this, my sister apparently decided to start reading the manga when I showed her the first episode.

This is fun, even the shy guy was an interesting addition, and I thought it a bit funny when he was calling her a pervert. And then his manga. Laughing
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:55 am Reply with quote
Time to meet other members.
Seeing them in action was nice.
That Yukimura guy is a true hentai & weirdo.
Still Hotaru managed to get on his good side.
Nice episode!
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I liked the episode but thought that spoiler[Yuuki's insecurity about friends was addressed a little too quickly. I'm not saying that it should drag for the whole series, but at least more than one episode. ]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm disappointed that Masamune really didn't realize she was a girl from the moment they met and was just playing it cool. It seems a little out of character for him to be that unobservant given that he's a host and supposedly very tuned into people. Oh well. Smile

Hotaru wasn't so obnoxious this time, so I could grow to like this.

Did my ears deceive me, or did Mattsun introduce her to Yukki as "Huutara"? Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm disappointed that Masamune really didn't realize she was a girl from the moment they met and was just playing it cool. It seems a little out of character for him to be that unobservant given that he's a host and supposedly very tuned into people. Oh well. Smile

He is so much like Tamaki that you think he would have found out super quickly. Right.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
While the set up unavoidably invokes Ouran, I don't see Tamaki when I look at Masamune. So yeah, I expected him to be a little more perceptive than he's turned out to be (not in comparison, because he didn't conjure Tamaki in my mind), because that's how he was presented in the first episode. And if not for that reason then at least as a plot twist down the road.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3