• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Awful Great

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeQ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I have a morbid fascination with the 3D Sonic-games. I know they're pretty bad, with mediocre gameplay, annoying characters and awful stories, but damn if I still don't enjoy them. Shadow the Hedgehog is the worst/best IMHO, it tries so gosh darn hard to be Dark and Edgy that it becomes kinda endearing.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Some of the storylines in Castlevania Judgement are actually pretty good, especially for a fighting game. There's plenty of "I want to know which of us is stronger!" schlock but Grant's storyline is an interestingly reflective tale of disappointment and Golem's storyline is quite touching for what looks like a lazy character created to fulfill the "big, slow, and strong" fighting game stereotype that existing Castlevania characters couldn't provide.

Honestly, I think Castlevania Judgement as a whole is given way too much grief. While it's no tournament-level fighter, I still had tons of fun with it. The camera wasn't ideal, but it wasn't anywhere near as problematic as people put it down as, and while Obata's character designs were definitely a start contrast for the franchise I think they were still a cool variant on the characters (not to mention that everyone unanimously agrees that Cornello got an awesome redo). The dialogue was also obviously meant to be a bit cornball, but that's to be expected when the story involves Death coming from 10,000 years in the future to change history; it's not meant to be as serious of a tale as the usual Castlevania.

As for Todd's joke about "flailing away at the controls", I wonder if he ever played CJ with a Gamecube controller, as that was easily the best way to play the game & had no flailing whatsoever. Also, for as much as people stated that there wasn't any depth, fans did eventually find some really cool mechanics. The neatest was easily weapon-canceling, where strategic use of sub-weapons during a combo allowed the player to start up a new combo without ending the first, allowing for longer combos & advanced gameplay. A sequel could have easily ironed out the flaws in the original, but for what it is I really do think CJ is very misunderstood by a lot of people.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I love the so-so F-Zero GX dub, especially the awesome Black Shadow voice and the funny interviews. And also the vocal tracks are very weird, but still enjoyable.

I can't wait for Lucas tho, I missed him since Brawl, as I liked him over Ness.

Can I said the following quote from Ganon from The Faces of Evil?:

"Join me Link, and I will make your face the GREATEST in Koridai... or else you will DIE!"

best line tho.
Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
JoeQ wrote:
I have a morbid fascination with the 3D Sonic-games. I know they're pretty bad, with mediocre gameplay, annoying characters and awful stories, but damn if I still don't enjoy them.

Um outside of 06 (which people remember more negatively for SonicXElise and realistic looking Eggman than it's rushed productuib), not all the 3D Sonic games are bad nor should playing them (some of them) be considered a guilty pleasure.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
I seriously thought about going to Ohio State just because a nearby Subway had a BloodStorm cabinet. Would've made for a great application essay.

The Silverball! I used to play there along with the Flamingo. That part of campus was torn down and big corporate chains and the like were built over the remains of the local shops and nightclubs.

That Subway moved up the street a few blocks and kept an arcade going on to about a decade ago. They even had a Lunar Lander cab at one point. It's all just extra seating now.

As for bad games, I do have a fondness for Evil Zone. It's a two button fighter with all the depth of a bucket, but it was co-designed with AIC in order to make it a nonsense collection of stock 90's anime concepts with dopey dialog overacted by the likes of Paul Eiding and Jon St. John. Hell, the English version even does that 90's localization ass-cover of adding four or five years to the ages of the female characters. It's fun to show it to others.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
I seriously thought about going to Ohio State just because a nearby Subway had a BloodStorm cabinet. Would've made for a great application essay.

Would've liked to see the admissions people try to wrap their heads around that!

Funnily enough, though, I kinda get what you mean. I took an overnight visit to Reed College when I was scouting schools, and one of my scheduled evening activities got cancelled because it rained (no surprise - this was Portland, after all). So instead I hung out in the student center for an hour playing Tekken 2. I didn't ultimately go there, but that was one of the more persuasive recruiting pitches of my visit.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
As far as endearingly flawed games go, Jak II is one of my favorites. Despite being well-received for its time, the game is very, very dated. The sequel traded the original's slapstick comedy for brooding tween angst, involving genetic experiments, torture, and a fascist city-state. The design was similarly muddled, exchanging platforming for an open-world type experience saddled with several modes of underdeveloped gameplay. The difficulty is also surprisingly high, as the mission objectives are invariably stringent and often opaque. Still, the cringeworthy dialogue and thematic schizophrenia keep me coming back for more.

I've always had a soft spot for Boogerman, too. The game is another disposable, floaty platformer with overly long animations and uninspired design. It would be completely forgettable were it not for it's scatological theme, whereupon enemies are disposed of through belching and flatulence.

EA's Road Rash and Skitchin' are also pretty shallow games that have survived based on the absurdity of their premises, but there's something so satisfying about taking down fellow combatants on the street. Lots of tactile satisfaction in spite of shortcomings.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
As far as endearingly flawed games go, Jak II is one of my favorites. Despite being well-received for its time, the game is very, very dated. The sequel traded the original's slapstick comedy for brooding tween angst, involving genetic experiments, torture, and a fascist city-state. The design was similarly muddled, exchanging platforming for an open-world type experience saddled with several modes of underdeveloped gameplay. The difficulty is also surprisingly high, as the mission objectives are invariably stringent and often opaque. Still, the cringeworthy dialogue and thematic schizophrenia keep me coming back for more.

I don't think Jak 2 properly fits in with Todd's piece about Good "bad" games.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
I can say that a game I played way more than I logically should've was Iggy's Reckin' Balls. That game totally needed a stage customization feature, as it looked like just the sort of game to have one. The characters were funnier than they ought to be though, probably because the voice work was actually pretty good.

The flapping mechanic was really frustrating though. A couple of stages in World 7 (Sun Canyon) required them, but the AI was stupid in those courses so you could just keep trying again and again. The AI got a lot smarter in World 8 (Patchwork), however, and usually got across the large gaps that required flapping in one try, so the best I could do was be way ahead by that point (though in one of the stages, I found a slightly longer alternate route that didn't require any flapping).

Fronzel wrote:
Some of the storylines in Castlevania Judgement are actually pretty good, especially for a fighting game. There's plenty of "I want to know which of us is stronger!" schlock but Grant's storyline is an interestingly reflective tale of disappointment and Golem's storyline is quite touching for what looks like a lazy character created to fulfill the "big, slow, and strong" fighting game stereotype that existing Castlevania characters couldn't provide.

I also personally felt that Castlevania Judgment was an interesting experiment on how to translate various Castlevania characters into a 3-D fighting game environment. I tells you how non-traditional it is when some reviews say certain characters are overpowered while some other reviews say those same characters are underpowered, namely Maria.

Castlevania Judgment continued to have people playing it online all the way until Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, so certainly, a number of people genuinely enjoyed it for what it was.

JoeQ wrote:
I have a morbid fascination with the 3D Sonic-games. I know they're pretty bad, with mediocre gameplay, annoying characters and awful stories, but damn if I still don't enjoy them. Shadow the Hedgehog is the worst/best IMHO, it tries so gosh darn hard to be Dark and Edgy that it becomes kinda endearing.

Some of them are genuinely good, most notably Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. The gameplay is largely considered by Sonic fans to be good (and this is the Sonic fandom we're talking about). The main point of contention is the stories as written by Ken Pontac and Warren Graff, who had no prior experience with Sonic and were hired based on their past work on Saturday morning animation.

Lord Geo wrote:
Also, for as much as people stated that there wasn't any depth, fans did eventually find some really cool mechanics. The neatest was easily weapon-canceling, where strategic use of sub-weapons during a combo allowed the player to start up a new combo without ending the first, allowing for longer combos & advanced gameplay. A sequel could have easily ironed out the flaws in the original, but for what it is I really do think CJ is very misunderstood by a lot of people.

Regarding that, after a few years, a handful of people managed to absolutely devastate using Golem, who was previously considered a joke character, at least enough to put him over Dracula. The fact that it took this long to figure out how to use Golem indicates there is a good amount of depth.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
Heh, thought Todd was gonna talk about the revival of the classic dungeon-crawler-RPG-before-there-were-J-RPGs The Bard's Tale IV at Kickstarter. That and Wizardry influenced all dungeon-crawlers we know today.
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
I really hope Velvet will have a warm personality and not be cold and distant like Lightning.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
To add on to what was said about Judgement, there were, at least for some time, some small competitive scenes going on in various places. The most visible scene that I know of were a bunch of dedicated players in Venezuela holding tournaments and the like for the game and they have a lot of match videos on Youtube.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I don't think Jak 2 properly fits in with Todd's piece about Good "bad" games.

Yeah, it's not as poorly designed or memetic as the other games he was talking about, but it's also one of the few games for "kids" where you can ostensibly shoot cops. That's a pretty dubious honor in my humble opinion. I was mostly mentioning it because I enjoy it in ways the developers obviously did not intend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2