• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, one thing I've noticed is that the more under the radar a franchise is, the more civil its fanbase tends to be. With the case of One Piece, the most outspoken anime fans tend to avoid it because of how it looks while it's failed to achieve anything close to mainstream in the west. You can see it with other fanbases of things that either stay under the radar or are universally considered inoffensive as to not be worth insulting to, like Criminal Minds with the former or Wallace & Gromit with the latter.

The "asshole level fanboyism" tends to be found in fandoms that are under attack or feel like they're under attack, like the ones for Sonic the Hedgehog and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Because their fanbases get mocked a lot, a number of them become defensive and make a lot of noise, akin to yappy dogs or, in the case of the furry fandom, shut themselves off from the public eye. That being said, there are also a few fanbases I've observed that become like this not due to influences from outside, but fans from within determined to spread as much negativity as possible, though whether or not they're trolls or just extremely opinionated is debatable. This seems to be what happened to the Transformers fanbase and the Batman fanbase. (This is, unfortunately, happening to the pinball fanbase right now due to the biggest forums for the hobby, Pinside, being almost completely unregulated, allowing a few people to come in and whine about everything, then fanning the flames.)
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. I've seen a stupid amount of arguing lately, though. The more people actively start complaining about something (this happened during Fishman Island too), the more you get "blind fanboyism" for lack of a less stupid term, and then it just turns into something akin to yowling cats.

Anyways, enough of that. The anime and manga are both finally where I want. I should quit bitching about bitching. Laughing IT'S NEVER ENOUGH Razz
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Am the only one getting annoyed to all the changes and censorships in the anime? The latest episode (702) was quite important and they could have made it more faithful tot he manga... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Am the only one getting annoyed to all the changes and censorships in the anime? The latest episode (702) was quite important and they could have made it more faithful tot he manga... Sad

What changes are you thinking of? I know 701 didn't explicitly show Law hiding in the dead bodies, but I can't think of anything from 702 that was changed. I know spoiler[Doflamingo killing his dad comes later.]
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

It's a kid's show so some stuff needs to be cut, kids watching the show don't need to see someone laying in a pile of dead bodies, the point of the trauma gets across.

You don't need middle fingers or stuff to accentuate your point. If the fact that we're not seeing a kid hiding amongst dead bodies bothers you get over it.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Not really a kids show...but whatever.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
How is One Piece not a kids' show?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
It shouldn't be a kid show but a teen one, and even then around half of the manga readers, if not more, are adults.
Problem is, the anime airs in the morning. Even biggest problem, now they censor much more than in the past (I think the politicians are to blame for this), when we had the Devilman TV series and anime like Bem (both were horror shows aimed at children).

Anyway, I was talking about episode 702, not 701.
Do I still need to mark as spoilers its content, I can I write freely?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
It shouldn't be a kid show but a teen one, and even then around half of the manga readers, if not more, are adults.
Problem is, the anime airs in the morning. Even biggest problem, now they censor much more than in the past (I think the politicians are to blame for this), when we had the Devilman TV series and anime like Bem (both were horror shows aimed at children).

I imagine talking about stuff that has aired in the anime is fine, but maybe spoiler tag stuff that's manga-only so far? (I don't actually know the rules for that stuff on this site)

I double-checked 702's corresponding manga chapter and didn't notice any changes in content. It's actually super rare that anything gets changed or removed for the anime version, but the execution (art, pacing, etc.) often makes the blow feel a lot softer, I've noticed.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

I imagine talking about stuff that has aired in the anime is fine, but maybe spoiler tag stuff that's manga-only so far? (I don't actually know the rules for that stuff on this site)

I double-checked 702's corresponding manga chapter and didn't notice any changes in content. It's actually super rare that anything gets changed or removed for the anime version, but the execution (art, pacing, etc.) often makes the blow feel a lot softer, I've noticed.

Yeah I only ever remember of two "big" censorship in the anime, Law middle finger on Sabaody, and during the original airing of Thriller Bark Sanji getting stabbed was altered for TV because of a murder at a wedding just prior, but the latter was fixed for DVD release.
Punk Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Sam Leach wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Yeah I only ever remember of two "big" censorship in the anime, Law middle finger on Sabaody, and during the original airing of Thriller Bark Sanji getting stabbed was altered for TV because of a murder at a wedding just prior, but the latter was fixed for DVD release.

Those aren't the biggest censorships in the anime. Whitebeard getting half of his head blown off was censored:
vs

And probably the one's that bug me the most are that they never animated Luffy stabbing himself in the anime series. They also hid the fact that red leg Zeff ate his own leg.

Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Punk Hazard wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Sam Leach wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Those aren't the biggest censorships in the anime. Whitebeard getting half of his head blown off was censored:
vs

And probably the one's that bug me the most are that they never animated Luffy stabbing himself in the anime series. They also hid the fact that red leg Zeff ate his own leg.

Well again I repeat this is a kids show, we don't need to show a dude eating his own leg or a guy with have his brains spilling out of his skull.

Also the scene from Romance Dawn was later added in during on of the Specials (Episode of Luffy)
Punk Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Punk Hazard wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Sam Leach wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

vs

Well again I repeat this is a kids show, we don't need to show a dude eating his own leg or a guy with have his brains spilling out of his skull.

Also the scene from Romance Dawn was later added in during on of the Specials (Episode of Luffy)

Not sure I agree with you. The anime has actually made several scenes much more gorey than the manga counterpart, Doflamingo vs Smoker for example was much bloodier in the anime:

vs

The truth is, much of the censorship in One Piece is random and inconsistent. They have no problem throwing tits and ass infront of your face, but they can't show law throwing a middle finger. Nami can stab her arm in Arlong Park in the anime, but Luffy can't stab his face? Kyros can cut his leg off, but Zeff can't? Smoker can be blood soaked, but other characters can't? If Toei Animation is trying to keep some sort of censorship quota, they have failed immensely, as it is all too inconsistent to even measure what level of censorship they even want in the first place.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
That's a result of there being several teams at Toei working on One Piece all at once. They have different ideas about what to put in them. I'm sure Toei has at least some basic guidelines, but beyond that, its all up to whatever team is responsible for that episode.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
First of all (and I'll never grow tired repeating this), One Piece isn't--or better--shouldn't be a "kids show".
Shounen are manga aimed at teens, not kids, which are a completely different demographic.

I think the problem with One Piece is its air time (in the morning), and Japanese current politics in general.

That said, I think I can talk about episode 702 content freely at this point, so here you are what I've to complain about, in no particular order (I could've forgotten about something):
- the "bar" title instead of "war" in one of the books given by Doflamingo to Law to study war tactics and history;
- Law and Baby 5 drinking orange juice instead of red wine as the rest of the Donquixote Family (Oda was smart here--in the manga, you can't see their heads but only their arms, so them drinking alcohol was more implied than actually shown, and yet they censored this anyway);
- they removed the only "private" scene between Doflamingo and Rocinante, when the latter was stitching the wound after Law stabbing him, to just show him bleeding before everyone (I hate this change also because we don't get to see Rocinante's scars all over his back and arms, which spoke a lot about the character and the hard life he had, in the manga);
- they changed Doflamingo/Rocinante's flashback a lot, not only with the unnecessary added scenes but also making Doflamingo weep (and even smile) when he wasn't in the manga, and implying that it was totally Homing's fault--and not Doffy's--that people found out they were former Celestial Dragons;
- when Homing begs the Celestial Dragons to take at least his wife and children back to Marijoa, in the manga only Doflamingo saw him doing that, while in the anime Doflamingo is on the background and his mother and Roci witness Homing's naiveness too (this is a huge change, if you think about the characterization of both Doflamingo and Rocinante is deeply intertwined with how much they were aware of their father's mistakes--in the manga, it's implied more than once that Roci, being younger and all, but also because he didn't see this particularly scene, never fully understood to what extent Homing put them in danger, albeit he had the best intentions when he wanted to leave Marijoa with his family);
- more importantly, they didn't show an arrow actually hitting Doflamingo as a child, and only implied that the second one did (which is confusing for who don't read the manga since they could think that the arrow hit Doflamingo's left eye);
- overall, the pacing of their flashback was poor, too slow and without the tension you could feel in the manga.

As you can see it isn't only a matter of censorship, but of content adaptation too. In general, the anime is dumbed down.
They could do a much better work with this manga, which deserves the best. I hope for a future anime adaptation of OP when the manga will be finished, really faithful to the manga from start to finish, with consistent character design (albeit Oda himself changed it since the manga is quite long, but it can be done in the anime), and good pacing.

Rocinante's voice and his seiyuu's acting was great though, at least (not that I expected less from Yama-chan Wink ), same as Doflamingo's, especially when he wakes up from the nightmare (albeit I still think his voice is a bit too deep).
Child Law's voice is ok, but his seiyuu struggles a bit with it and it's a little too deep as well, at least when he's 10 years old (I can understand a slightly deeper voice later in the flashback, when he's 12/12 and half).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 49