• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
^
I agree that the pacing was very good, but they are too damn close to where the manga is at. Unless the show will be put in hiatus (like that'll ever happen), their only options are fillers, or to pad each character interaction and battle scene as much as possible.

they've been sticking to the "one chapter, one episode" rule for a while now, that's how they've avoided catching up to the manga but at the same time many episodes feel extremely padded.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
I think he was first name dropped all the way back during Marineford?

Kaido was actually first named right after Enies Lobby when Garp was introducing the Four Emperors, over 400 episodes ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Sam Leach wrote:

Kaido was actually first named right after Enies Lobby when Garp was introducing the Four Emperors, over 400 episodes ago.

Well, to be that guy, I don't think either Big Mom or Kaido were referred to by name during that scene. (Though now I'm trying to remember when Big Mom was first referenced. It had to have been before the time skip, right?)
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
Videogamep wrote:
Sam Leach wrote:

Well, to be that guy, I don't think either Big Mom or Kaido were referred to by name during that scene. (Though now I'm trying to remember when Big Mom was first referenced. It had to have been before the time skip, right?)

You're right, it was just their silhouettes shown there. According to the wiki, it was episode 375, which makes sense since Kaido was the one who killed Moriah's original crew in the New World and 375 was right in the middle of Thriller Bark. It looks like Big Mom wasn't mentioned until after Marineford, though. The wiki says she was first mentioned by Kid in episode 490.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:

Videogamep wrote:

Sam Leach wrote:

According to his entry in the One Piece wiki, Kaido was first mentioned by name by Gekkou Moriah during the Thriller Bark Arc, in episode 350. As for Charlotte "Big Mom" Linlin, according to the OP wiki, she was the last of the Yonko to be named; Eustass Kid revealed her nickname after the Battle of Marineford, in episode 490, just before the timeskip, and her real name was revealed in episode 528, post-timeskip.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
^
I was about to say it but you beat me. I guess watching One Piece more 700+ episodes is fun but very difficult to recall everything what happened.

On another note, that fudging beast Kaido,though! This is the greatest character debut to date and how the hell will Luffy & others gonna beat him? Luffy may have beaten notorious pirates, 3 shichibukais, Fishmen & had first-hand experience in battling the Navy Admirals but fighting Yonko is a whole new level. The narrator says it all!

Good luck with him, Straw hat pirates.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I believe the reason why the production for the One Piece anime has been better is because they are done with One Piece film gold. Hoping they keep up the good quality going in for next arc.

I'm so sick of the current opening at this point. Toei needs to change the openings more often. Having an opening 50+ episodes makes you dislike the song even if you liked it before.

Last edited by TheConqueror on Tue May 10, 2016 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
TheConqueror wrote:
I'm so sick of the current opening at this point. Toei needs to change the openings more often. Having an opening 50+ episodes makes you dislike the song even if you liked it before.

Hey, remember when the simulcast began, when the same opening was used for at least 75 episodes? If I recall correctly, it was because FUNimation was getting problems getting the rights to the following opening and had to use that one until they finally got it.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
You know, I actually liked 'We Go!', and its extended stay on the Simulcast never bothered me much. This current opening I never liked from the start. I have always found it to be annoying.

I know people may disagree with me on 'We Go!', but I just think this current opening wasn't really very good to begin with. Surely we'll see a new one soon, we're changing arcs.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the next opening too. This one always sounds like its skipping. It's quite jarring.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
The good news is that Dressrosa will end soon, and Zou is one of the best One Piece arcs imo
Kitsune_the_Demonz

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Of course Dressrosa arc isn't finish yet. Toei probably wait until July. I like waiting for Christmas to arrive after 2 1/2 years, i swear. Anime hyper
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I just want a new opening already. Its been 2 years and I cant take it anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:

I think it's only been like a yeah and three months or something but I feel you, I'm ready for something new.

I find it so strange that shows like One Piece and Naruto get one opening every year or so and Fairy Tail and other A-1 shows get a new opening every 12 episodes.

Fairy Tail is on it's second hiatus and has 20+ Openings, One Piece has been on for almost twenty years and has <20
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:

I think it's only been like a yeah and three months or something but I feel you, I'm ready for something new.

I find it so strange that shows like One Piece and Naruto get one opening every year or so and Fairy Tail and other A-1 shows get a new opening every 12 episodes.

Fairy Tail is on it's second hiatus and has 20+ Openings, One Piece has been on for almost twenty years and has <20

Some people in the production committee for one piece are just being cheap
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 49