• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Super (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Dragon Ball Super (TV)

Genres: Action, Adventure, Martial Arts, Shounen, Super Powers
Themes: Saiyans, Power

Plot Summary: A brand new television anime inspired by Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball manga titled Dragon Ball Super will premiere on Fuji TV and other channels in July. This will be the first new Dragon Ball television series since Dragon Ball GT, which aired from 1996 to 1997.

The story of the anime will take place a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu, when the Earth has become peaceful once again.
----------------------------------

The first DBZ new series in over 18 years.

I'm hyped to see as the story itself takes place after the defeat of Buu. Since Dragon Ball GT was never canon, this will actually be a series that will have Akira Toriyama working on it himself. The series also also has a manga adaptation so it'll be interesting to see how far they will adapt this.

Dragon Ball was the first series I've watched ever as a kid with my friends so it'll be quite a nostalgic to see it again; well the TV series anyways not including the recent movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'll watch it when it's dubbed (since Dragonball still owns my soul), but I'm a little worried this will be nothing but fun fanservice (as in, servicing the fans, not T and A shots) and comedy like the Battle of Gods movie was. I really hope it's a serious story to continue the epic we all grew up with rather than just a quick cash grab for Toriyama.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hmm, I thought that was kinda fun.

It's much much lighthearted with good visuals and comedy. We get the return of Goku (in a tractor..) along with Goten, Gohan, Trunks, Mr. Satan, etc. Since it takes place after the Buu arc, the Good Buu is back as well. They did introduce the new antagonists with some cameo moments so expect to see them more later on.

The OP theme song is alright. Anyways, I'm expecting a lot more from this soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind it when Dragon Ball is focused on comedy. Battle of Gods was genuinely hilarious.

I just ... I didn't find the first episode as funny as I was hoping. There were some sweet moments, but nothing that made me crack up like in BoG.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The episode did it for me in terms of laughs, Beerus's antics and Goku slacking on the job being the funniest. I found Goten and Trunk's quest to give Videl a gift (and her reaction to it) and Satan giving Goku the money heartwarming. Enjoyed the episode a lot.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
According to this link, here's what Akira Toriyama had to say on July 1st about the plot of Dragon Ball Super:

spoiler["“Dragon Ball Super” is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc. It’s got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the “Battle of Gods” arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the “Revival of ‘F'” arc where Freeza comes back to life, and then, I’ve written a strange new story where they finally depart from this universe. They’re fighting against their neighbors, Universe 6! They’ll yell at me if I give away too many spoilers, so I’ll keep the rest a secret, but they’re chasing after giant Super Dragon Balls; I think things will unfold in a bright and simple way, that will be really fun and exciting!]

spoiler["Since it’s another universe, loads of new characters will turn up. I’ll do my best to draw the tons of character designs necessary, so I’m looking forward to this too.]

spoiler["You know, it suddenly occurs to me that somewhere along the line the Dragon Ball anime has become quite a huge story. Since I’m the guy who drew the thing, it’s a bit weird for me to say this, but when I first started out I never dreamed it would have a universe as a setting (laughs). Don’t worry though, it’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always. Please be sure to watch Dragon Ball Super on TV!"]

This seems a little bit boring, to be honest, because it looks like there's going to be a lot of material from the two most recent movies, remade for television.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Giant Super Dragon Balls....so they're going back to Namek? Laughing I'm sorry, I meant New Dimension 6 Namek. Wink I just hope as the series comes out there is good banter between Vegeta and Goku.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
looks like first two episodes are filler
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:

There was more plot development in the first episode than in six average episodes of Dragon Ball Z. If that's your idea of filler, you might want to lower your standards a bit for this franchise. Laughing
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:

Its literally impossible for there to be filler, as there is no comic to run out of.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Its literally impossible for there to be filler, as there is no comic to run out of.

You don't understand what filler is. Filler is anything that doesn't contribute to a show's plot, character development, atmosphere/world-building, or themes. Anime-original series can have and often do have filler.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

You don't understand what filler is. Filler is anything that doesn't contribute to a show's plot, character development, atmosphere/world-building, or themes. Anime-original series can have and often do have filler.

I literally can not think of an example. No show I know of has an episode were nothing happens. Episode 1 of DBS certainly doesn't lack any of that. Do you mean stand alone stories? That's not filler.
Strike105

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
If you're looking for examples, I can think of two examples of filler in a manga-less anime off the top of my head, even though they are both from the same show from the 1970's: "Time, Be Still", and "Kukuruz Doan's Island", Episodes 14 and 15 of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. Both episodes' set ups were very sudden, both were self contained, they had poor animation (which, for a show that was never known for quality animation to begin with, is saying something) and their events and introduced characters were never acknowledged again within the franchise, outside of a handful of video games. Episode 15 itself was even removed from all western releases and both (incomplete) airings of the series, apparently at the personal request of the director, Yoshiyuki Tomino himself. No one was the wiser unless they somehow knew about the episode beforehand, or came across the information on the internet later.

Those examples may be old, and have nothing to do with Dragon Ball, but the point is, filler in manga-less anime does exist.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Lol, is it just me or does Vegeta look pissed during that trip? I think he had some fun though and ate some good food. Looking forward to the upcoming battles but I hope they can maintain a budget for it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
I have one question...
Is Dragon ball also production of Manga games?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2