• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Super (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AquaVersus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Its literally impossible for there to be filler, as there is no comic to run out of.

You don't understand what filler is. Filler is anything that doesn't contribute to a show's plot, character development, atmosphere/world-building, or themes. Anime-original series can have and often do have filler.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

The word "filler" itself comes from the concept of adding to an anime's pre-existing story in order to pad it out so as to create more time for the manga artist to finish the story (or just that specific story arc). They would literally "fill" the anime with original episodes (meaning plotlines NOT from the manga) in order to allow for the artist to continue, since anime adaptations of manga are usually done in tandem with a manga's publication.

A famous example comes from Sailor Moon. There are a lot of "monster of the day" episodes that were added to extend the plot, though that's not the type of filler I'm referring to -- I'm talking about the Doom Tree arc, which was completely original to the anime and was nowhere to be found in the manga, and only existed in order to give Takeuchi more time to advance the story they would be adapting next.

Like it or not, this is what the term "filler" refers to, and therefore an anime like Dragonball Super which isn't based on a manga (rather, it has its own manga adaptation) has no filler. It may have lighthearted episodes, silly episodes, or episodes that have nothing to do with the overall plot...but since these are all planned by Toriyama himself instead of forced in to allow for more time, they're not filler episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
AquaVersus wrote:
Like it or not, this is what the term "filler" refers to...

Perhaps that's what "filler" originally meant, but you know, language can and does change.

But hey, if you really want to insist that "filler" is inaccurate then I'll use "bloat" instead. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that the story is padded out to a detrimental degree.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Hmm, I will say that the last 5 minutes or so of the episode got me excited for the next one. In particular, the conversation dialogue already gives off the idea that Beerus is extraordinarily powerful. Guess we'll see some of his powers in no time if the buildup follows like the way the PV suggests.

Also damn it Vegeta, he should be at his wife's birthday party D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally not all that interested in starting this until either it's over or dubbed as I'm far too used to watching my DB in English.

#841357 wrote:
I have one question...
Is Dragon ball also production of Manga games?

Dragonball was a manga, as was Dragonball Z. Dragonball Super is not, it's anime-original and doesn't have a source.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm going to ask this of all of the people here that saw up to episode 3.This is actually a two part question.

1.) I've seen the movie so...and I don't know if this is spoiler so I'll put a tah on just in case spoiler[ if beerus woke up in the movie did he wake up earlier in this version because I think I saw him in episode 1 also with that being said am I right in assuming that it was 6 months that pass by in the show leading up to battle of gods?]

If that seemed confusing umm I'm basically asking about events in the show concerning time frame of when stuff happened.

2.) Wasn't in BOG spoiler[ bulma's party was at capsule corp rather than on a boat this time and if that's the case would they include vegeta's brother if he's cannon in the saiyan ritual or is that going to be different as well?]

I'm so sorry if this seems confusing to those that read it I just want a general grasp of what's going on since I saw both movies and super retelling them both is wreaking havoc on my brain ATM.
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
itachi06103570 wrote:
Now I'm going to ask this of all of the people here that saw up to episode 3.This is actually a two part question.

1.) I've seen the movie so...and I don't know if this is spoiler so I'll put a tah on just in case spoiler[ if beerus woke up in the movie did he wake up earlier in this version because I think I saw him in episode 1 also with that being said am I right in assuming that it was 6 months that pass by in the show leading up to battle of gods?]

If that seemed confusing umm I'm basically asking about events in the show concerning time frame of when stuff happened.

2.) Wasn't in BOG spoiler[ bulma's party was at capsule corp rather than on a boat this time and if that's the case would they include vegeta's brother if he's cannon in the saiyan ritual or is that going to be different as well?]

I'm so sorry if this seems confusing to those that read it I just want a general grasp of what's going on since I saw both movies and super retelling them both is wreaking havoc on my brain ATM.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I think that the movies are alternate re-tellings of the same story, but if someone else has better/more accurate information I would appreciate it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I hope they fix the animation quality in the BDs or in the upcoming episodes....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Wow, poor Gohan. I knew he wouldn't stand a chance against Beerus but that God pretty much destroyed his relevance in this season.

And anyways, one thing to be learned from watching this episode is to never mess with Vegeta's wife. Ever. Because right now, shit is about to go down and Vegeta is about to unleash that rage. I hope Toei's animation quality won't drop next time like that previous fight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone,,
A group of villains, instead of just one guy.

Shintani designs pls.
showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/
Some slick direction. Direction is far more important than animation, IMO.

A female fighting villain who isn't just a henchman or a misdirection for a bigger villain. The fact that we would have a group of villains makes this much easier, I suspect.

Good dialogue that flows well.

An arc that finishes without them having lunch on Capsule Corp.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2