• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
^
Agreed. I'm a little bummed that the show hasn't been better regarded, but what can you do.

Episode 9 was a nice display of how much Ayame trusts Okuma. It also makes me wonder if Anna is ever going to figure out why the fake Okuma smells like the real Okuma...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

So it was a trap set up for Anna. Sounded like Anna is specifically getting a free pass for her own perversion, especially since the laws seemed set up specifically to protect her beyond others.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, Kosuri up to not good again.

It would be amusing to see Anna's reaction to this if she sees it. I imagine all hell will break loose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
It was like the Inukami elephant all over again. Wait, is that why I was barely effected by seeing Goriki in women underwear? I was soiled by that series since then. Also, Hapsiel.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

That Gathered Fabric vs SOX and Student Council fight scene would be um, what's the right word... interesting uncensored...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
There is a trope called "Getting Crap Past the Radar", and then there is Shimoneta making the character who's hair looks like a penis role around and have white liquid look like it is shooting from the tip of her head. Arguably one of the biggest thing they have managed to sneak past censors.

Actually feels like it would take some time to fully take in all the dirty jokes, especially with stun gun penis.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Glory to the SOX!

Well it's over although I was somewhat surprised at how funny this series. Anna got quite of fun as well in the finale...and by fun, I think it's guessable at what she was trying to do with Okuma.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

As expected, a more of fun last episode that you might find in an extra OVA. Also, looks like Tsukimigusa is hung. Interesting thing about the ending song, if you had been paying attention to it each episode you would have noticed that each episode's has a part it shows the characters looking nude with a censor like thing. The censor is meant to hide in guessing whether the character is nude or wearing any clothes, and the third once changes every episode with a different character being vague of whether they are naked. But this episode removed it showing that Okuma and Ayame are indeed naked, and the third shot was of what I can guess not yet introduced characters.

Also loved Ayamae mistakenly called Kosuri as "wood carved penis", after the series conspicuously used it as way to sneak a penis into the show. Wow this show has actually managed that.

Talking about this series in general, I totally did not expect this show to be so fun. I largely thank it to the character of Anna, who you maybe could complain is a character that is used for rape as comedy, and indeed it did add a funny factor for me. But more than a victim of double standards, I do think the show was actually saying something on the topic.

Rating the series I will give it a Very good, I really quite enjoyed it.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
So why haven't SOX tried blackmailing Anna yet? They're terrorists but they're not interested in being successful terrorists?

Because Anna is Ayame's friend, maybe best friend.

Maybe her only friend, she doesn't seen to be friendly with any other females expect those she can use as members of SOX.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
So why haven't SOX tried blackmailing Anna yet? They're terrorists but they're not interested in being successful terrorists?

Because Anna is Ayame's friend, maybe best friend.

Also it is possible Anna is too far gone to blackmail. Granted she is currently concealing her predatory antics but she is so whacked out who knows what she would do if someone tried to put that kind of pressure on her.

Someone else in the series had commented that Anna is capable of committing murder, and she had put a pair of scissors to Ayame's throat and had threatened Kosuri because of jealousy over the MC. Anna is a scary batshait crazy biatch.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Funny how there was no digital pastie covering Tsukimigusa's bluge as had been done with other males in the series.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12 (finale)

As expected, a more of fun last episode that you might find in an extra OVA. Also, looks like Tsukimigusa is hung. Interesting thing about the ending song, if you had been paying attention to it each episode you would have noticed that each episode's has a part it shows the characters looking nude with a censor like thing. The censor is meant to hide in guessing whether the character is nude or wearing any clothes, and the third once changes every episode with a different character being vague of whether they are naked. But this episode removed it showing that Okuma and Ayame are indeed naked, and the third shot was of what I can guess not yet introduced characters.

A couple of weeks back I had looked up this series on Amazon.com and saw the covers for the light novels, 8 volumes already, and volume 8 had a character that hadn't yet appeared in the series, a very well built young lady with light hair and wearing glasses, who is the first one you had just mentioned. Anyhow I was wondering if this lady was Gortiki's sometimes mentioned but never shown sister, and during the ending credits, the spot where they show a character with no clothes and naughty parts covered up, there she was. However there was another unknown girl with her so I'm guessing one of those is Goriki's sister and the other, well, we'll probably wait for the OVA to find out. If there's only 8 light novel volumes that's not enough for a second season, just enough for an OVA.

Last edited by Papochulo on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Episode 11

That Gathered Fabric vs SOX and Student Council fight scene would be um, what's the right word... interesting uncensored...

I saw this series on another site, won't say where, listed as uncensored, and I couldn't see a difference. I think it's censored on purpose as part of the joke.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But more than a victim of double standards, I do think the show was actually saying something on the topic.

It could have been much better at it than this. Ayame is clearly the most interesting character for, aside from being a very winsome lass, being a true free thinker.

Yet there are only a very few times (once or twice) that she has any insight to offer -- mostly she is onto the tactics of plotting her terrorisim and evading her would-be captors. SHIMONETA would be a star and a half better had it taken more of the opportunities it had to exhibit the upside -- and the downside -- of intellectual freedom.

Nothing wrong with a dirty joke or two along the way, though.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
^ Interestingly HaruhiToy that's the exact reason I've been hesitant about giving this series a chance. From what I could tell from brief descriptions of the series it just seems like one big STRAWMAN. Trying to paint censorship in an overly harsh light without trying to at least talk about the upsides of it. There are indeed things I wouldn't want my kids seeing but it's not like the idea of sex is something humans will always skirt away from. With many people having access to internet (something that can't be censored as much as media) the idea that things could get to the point even making ONE dirty joke could get you arrested is silly. Now i get that the show uses this set up for most of it's comedy but that doesn't mean it's any less pretentious. A smart commentary acknowledges both sides while still trying to prove a point.

Ayame's character seems to be there to present a lot of rape/yandere jokes from what I've seen which is kind of shame. Not only do I hate that kind of humor but she's a passionate character who doesn't know how to properly express her emotions due to how their society is structured. This character could have worked out so much better if she was much more deeply explored instead of just being used as running joke fuel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6