• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokemon Heroes DVD

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolHerald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
So a few months ago I bought "Pokemon Heroes: The Movie" from BestBuy, I didn't watch it until recently, I noticed that the DVD only had the movie, none of the special features that are advertised on the back of the case. Did I buy a late print that didn't have the specials on it, or (although unlikely) a bootleg ? For reference it's this version: release#27360
I looked all over the web and couldn't find anyone who mentioned this issue.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
The first review on page 2 of the Best Buy reviews also notes the lack of bonus features.

From the brief research I've done, there seem to be 3 main DVD versions of the movie available in the US (discounting the multi-movie packs).
Release 1, by Miramax, explicitly states on the front that it includes the Camp Pikachu short.
Release 2, also by Miramax, does not state on the front anything about the short.
Release 3, of course, by Lionsgate, is the one you have.

Without any way to check the backs of the releases, my only assumption is that when Lionsgate took over the release from Miramax, they just changed the relevant company info, and left the packaging the same as the second release, which I'm assuming has the short in it. So the packaging is inaccurate, and the release was never intended to have the short and other special features on it.

Which then, of course, begs the question: if they kept the packaging the same, why did they go through the trouble of re-authoring the disc, unless they couldn't get the rights to the special features and the short?
SolHerald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Which then, of course, begs the question: if they kept the packaging the same, why did they go through the trouble of re-authoring the disc, unless they couldn't get the rights to the special features and the short?

^That's what confuses me too. Well anyways thanks for clearing up the confusion.
It's only a Pokemon movie, but it still bothers me that they were too lazy to change the back cover. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1