• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New RightStufAnime.com

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I always hate it when something just worked that someone decides well lets go and change it. Yes I'll just have to get use to it with time.
One thing I will say the site does look more sharper and cleaner which is something you got right.

Now I have probably the fastest internet connection you can get on Cable and it loads just as fast as the old site even with all the images which is a blink of a eye. So no problems their.

One thing I dislike about it yes their is 4 tabs you can choose to select how you want to view the products for sale. But when I select condensed which is my preferred method since it just lists the products title with no images, now it only allows for 48 products at a time.

Like right now I did a Blu-Ray search for all Funimation titles in the condensed view. Now I have to sort through 8 pages to view all the items while on the old site I could view all items on one page. Which was so much easier all I had to do was scroll up or down now I have to open page after page and leave multiple tabs open when ordering.

Please bring back view all items from the selected publisher even if it's just the text listing and no images.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
1. Yea, there's something up with the login. I went ahead and redid my password, so this is what happened. I go to the website and its got my name and "your account" at top with drop down menu. I select order history and it brings me to a login page, which also happens to be the check out page. I put in my email and password then there's some spinning dots to show activity and the only thing that happens when it stops spinning is that my name at the top is now gone. It does not direct me to a new page nor to the page I requested and by removing my name at the top it confuses visitor because it looks like I'm not logged in. If I now go to a new page and go to order history I find that I am logged in and can get in that way.

2. I'm also not too crazy how the order history looks so far. Looking at a bunch of order numbers doesn't tell me what was in that order. It was really useful to see my entire history with specific items and see what was still on backorder and what had shipped in one glance.

I know everything is still a work in progress (heck so far only 3 orders are showing up in history) and there will be bugs to iron out, but I hope you can keep some of the things that worked well on the old site.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'll just say this-change for the sake of change is just shitty and this is shitty. I have to relearn the whole damn site just so I can continue to order from RS? Maybe Deep Discount is gonna get a whole lot more of my business from now on.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I for one think it is greatly a change for the better. The old site was poorly organized and clunky to use. I think there will be a learning curve but it is headed in the right direction.

The "filters" are a bit odd. I clicked on clothing and got a list full of key chains, messenger bags and phone covers but no T-Shirts.

I do have a couple of questions: Will there be or is there any way to get the equivalent to the old "brief listing" of titles. Search functions seldom cope with poor spelling very well. It was helpful just to scan down a list when I knew the first couple of letters.

How long will items be listed under New Arrivals? Two weeks to a month would probably be optimum.

Speaking of T-shirts, a lot were listed as "out of stock". Does the fact that the item is still listed mean we can order anyway pending new stock or does it just indicate that the listing hasn't been purged recently?
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
One thing I would want for the filter categories: Having DVD, Blu-ray, and graphic novels at the top. If I were to search for a big category, say One Piece, that would likely have things in every category, I'd like to be able to select one of those three first most likely. I think people are far more likely to want to look at graphic novels than "clocks". This way, most people wouldn't need to expand that list all the time.

And of course, the return of the newly listed items and such.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
I don't see how the new site is better than the old one, nicer looking yes but better?

Now I have to check so many boxes to narrow my search and have to sift through multiple pages when I use to be able to view all the items from the desired publisher in one page.

Also some people don't have as fast internet because before when it was mostly texted based it loaded much faster. Even though on my connection it takes only a second or two longer to load now for others one guy said it took him 2 minutes which is BS.

The main page looks fine but when you click on a link it brings up too many options to choose from where I have to spend so much time tailoring the parameters when I should be spending my time browsing and shopping.

Also the search function brings up too dam many results. I tried it for fun and before it was dead on with what I typed. Now if any of the words you input in the search box even if you spell it correctly or get the title right will bring up any item with any of those words in it. So not only did it bring up what I was looking for but since one of the words was in the other 1500 other items they stock those too were displayed.

Still Rightstuf is a great company and has the best prices so I'll put up with their new site but I sure hope they are willing to listen to peoples input to tweak it a little. It shouldn't take me longer to be able to find what I'm looking for if this is suppose to be a improvement.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Searching for "Attack on Titan" gives 4031 results.
"Strike the Blood" gives 3895 results.
"Michiko and Hatchin" gives 3695 results.

"Read or Die" gives so many results that it won't even give me a number, but at 24 results per page, and 417 pages, that's somewhere between 9985 and 10008 results.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I'll just say this-change for the sake of change is just shitty and this is shitty. I have to relearn the whole damn site just so I can continue to order from RS? Maybe Deep Discount is gonna get a whole lot more of my business from now on.

This change was not for "the sake of change." The previous site infrastructure was very creaky and was really showing its age in terms of being able to move forward. Some components could no longer be updated based on architecture. The back end was also not at all mobile friendly and frankly mobile, especially with Google, is something we simply had to address. Many items were batched rather than real-time. GotAnime pricing we couldn't immediately display. We were able to add a lot of features we simply couldn't have with the old site, such as Paypal, and brought back the faceted search that people have missed.

Like anything it's a work in process. There are some things that are missing and some things we need to clean up how they display. We couldn't run both at once and we had to make a decision when to make the switch. This gives us time to listen/learn/hear comments and continue to focus on improvements before the busy holiday season. I realize it's not perfect, and frankly "change" is scary to people regardless. There are lots of great things here, and the stuff that people are unhappy about we'll get moving on updating and/or fixing once we finalize imports and open orders. Every site change is rocky, and this one came with huge changes also on the backend so that we can do pretty much everything real time. No more waiting until the next day for a tracking number, updates are immediate to the site.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Searching for "Attack on Titan" gives 4031 results.
"Strike the Blood" gives 3895 results.
"Michiko and Hatchin" gives 3695 results.

"Read or Die" gives so many results that it won't even give me a number, but at 24 results per page, and 417 pages, that's somewhere between 9985 and 10008 results.

Hmm. Will need to look at this. My guess is that it is including the description when search is happening which means it is looking for those terms also in the description of every item.

You can pull it down with facets, obviously, but I need to check that.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Also some people don't have as fast internet because before when it was mostly texted based it loaded much faster. Even though on my connection it takes only a second or two longer to load now for others one guy said it took him 2 minutes which is BS.

It was bad on the first few hours because the CDN was not configured properly. Seemed to take <3 seconds on load, mostly less now.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi shawne,

Thanks for your continued great customer service and activity in this forum and others to respond to people's concerns.

Overall, I like the new website. Most issues I have are minor annoyances that just come with change, but nothing that'd keep me away.

• Being able to see my discount as a member immediately
  • Real time processing
  • Wish lists that can be customized
  • Paypal option
  • The way the entire site looks

Suggestions for Improvement:
  • While there is a condensed version to view while browsing, I would like to see a list view option, like on the old site, that's just a basic text-based list of all of the items one company sells on one page (an expanded view). It's easier to scroll through one whole condensed page that lists the name of the item and the price.
  • Viewing order history that doesn't require you to enter dates. Personally, I'd rather have all of my history load up instead of just showing me the most recent ones.
  • New/Changed Items.
  • I'd like to see the feature added again where if you click on the page of an item you previously ordered that a message shows up on the top that it was ordered by you on a certain date.
  • A minor nitpick that I also had with the old site, but is there a way to sort volumes like this (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11...) instead of this (1,10,11,2,3...)? Probably no simple way that wouldn't slow down loading times if it's even possible, but I thought I'd ask. (Dang you computers and your logic strings).

I'll add more if I think of any. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much what Willag said.

Please for the love of god bring back the list view option.

I tried to see what Yen Press titles I would like to order during the current sale and didn't realize that their are over 1016 books to choose from. Even at 48 search results a page that's 22 pages I have to click on and scroll through.

After getting tired and frustrated I gave up and will check back again because I can't remember every title Yen Press has the license to off the top of my head. And to have to shift through that many pages arrghh.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Shawne, I appreciate you reading what I wrote, and I feel bad for how I put it. Drinking and posting is bad, and I should be a lot more calmer. But if you listen to anything, I implore you to please change the site so there's a "list all" function. Only 48 items max is not a good way to list things. Sometimes my bandwidth is at a premium, and I'd much rather everything load on a single click. Even if that weren't the case, I'd still rather be able to look at everything I can buy with a single click. Having to click through 20+ pages just to get through the current sale is no fun.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
^From what it looks like, the maximum amount of entries it will allow you to display on one page is 100.

Here's the link for Yen Press: http://www.rightstufanime.com/publisher/YEN-PRESS?order=displayname:asc&show=100&display=condensed

You can edit yourself in the address bar. Select 48 from the drop-down list and you'll see the 48 show up in the address bar. Just change the 48 to 100 and wallah! I tried several other combinations (101, 108, 192), and 100 seems to be the highest range it will allow.

Code:
http://www.rightstufanime.com/publisher/YEN-PRESS?order=displayname:asc&show=48&display=condensed

http://www.rightstufanime.com/publisher/YEN-PRESS?order=displayname:asc&show=100&display=condensed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, that's still not acceptable. The old site allowed me to view everything on one page. Not allowing that on the new site is not an improvement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17