• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New RightStufAnime.com

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I know that having multiple pre-order items with vastly different release dates has often delayed shipping when you have free shipping, as there is an attempt to ship them together. However, when there are multiple open orders, and items from multiple orders are available, they had always been shipped together.

Is this no longer the case, or is there specifically a problem with our order, as there were already problems with it?

During the last Yen Press sale, we ordered 4 items on 6/23: Turn A Gundam part 2, Pandora Hearts: Caucus Race 1, Gundam 00F GN 2, and Log Horizon novel 2. Of these, PH:CR1 was released, 00F2 was listed as "out of stock" and back-ordered, and Turn A and Log Horizon were on pre-order (8/4 and 7/21, respectively).

We were initially charged on 6/30, we were charged for all 4 items, not just the 2 that were shipping (PH and Turn A over a month early). We were refunded for 00F and LH on 7/6, and a new order was created with just these two items as a solution to the over charge.

However, it has now been almost 3 weeks since the release of LH2, and despite an order placed during the Viz sale (after the release of LH2) already shipping, there is still no word regarding this order. Under the policies of the old site, LH2 would have been included with the Viz items, and yet it seems to be in limbo. Furthermore, there has been no word on the status of 00F, despite the site's claims that it usually restocks in about 2 weeks.

When an item is available for order, despite it being out-of-stock, with an indication of a timeline for it becoming available, communication is expected in a timely manner. It has now been 3 times the indicated restock period. Is it not going to be available, or is it still being worked on? We need to be told something, not just left waiting.

When I pre-order items, no matter what the item is or where I pre-order it from, I have 2 expectations: 1) that the item is being held for me, and 2) the item will be available to me in a timely manner from the release date. At a brick-and-mortar store, this means I expect to be able to walk in the store on release date and pick up my item. For an online purchase, I expect, at the very least, to have the item within a week or so of release. I understand that an item may not be available for shipping until the release date. When I have other pre-ordered items that are releasing close to the same date, it is completely reasonable for the earliest one to be held so that they can ship together. What is not reasonable, is that 3 weeks after release, with another shipment on the way, there is no indication that the item is even being held for me, let alone if it will EVER ship.

If this is how things are going to be, I might as well take my manga/LN orders to Amazon, where there's a clear indication on when I should expect the item to arrive. Sure, I won't be getting as good of a deal, but at least I also won't have to worry about waiting for sales, and hoping that I have enough for free shipping.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
If this is how things are going to be, I might as well take my manga/LN orders to Amazon, where there's a clear indication on when I should expect the item to arrive. Sure, I won't be getting as good of a deal, but at least I also won't have to worry about waiting for sales, and hoping that I have enough for free shipping.

We are hoping to resume partial shipping here within a few weeks. We have a bug to squash and I want to make absolutely sure it's handled before we would potentially impact that many customers.

Drop me a note and I'll take care of you.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Just pointing out, I'm working with Shawne via PM on my issues, and he's helping. I understand completely the reasons they're having problems (as well as with another problem that I brought up via PM), and my only wish now is that there had been more open communication regarding the issues.
CostlyAxis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
So a new issue I'm having with the site is apparently I'm having new charges retroactively applied to orders I've placed. Orders that have already been delivered, over a month ago. Why weren't these presented upfront to begin with? How can you tack on new charges after the fact?

Depending on how my interactions go with Customer Service, I'm probably just going to cancel all my pending orders and shop elsewhere. The prices are good, but the fact I'm getting new charges for completed orders is beyond absurd.

Edit: Looking a bit more into this on my end it does appear that the expedited shipping was not charged alongside the orders (the charges were indicated as "freight charges") though they appear on the order page. However, they ended up shipping in the same box. I know how this would turn out if this were Amazon, but that's another story. I'll have to see how my call goes.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I really really want to pre-order some Discotek things, but I'm paranoid there will be a sale right afterwards, are you allowed to apply the new promo retroactively to an existing order (that doesn't already have a promo code on it)?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
CostlyAxis wrote:
So a new issue I'm having with the site is apparently I'm having new charges retroactively applied to orders I've placed. Orders that have already been delivered, over a month ago. Why weren't these presented upfront to begin with? How can you tack on new charges after the fact?

Depending on how my interactions go with Customer Service, I'm probably just going to cancel all my pending orders and shop elsewhere. The prices are good, but the fact I'm getting new charges for completed orders is beyond absurd.

Edit: Looking a bit more into this on my end it does appear that the expedited shipping was not charged alongside the orders (the charges were indicated as "freight charges") though they appear on the order page. However, they ended up shipping in the same box. I know how this would turn out if this were Amazon, but that's another story. I'll have to see how my call goes.

We did have some orders a while back where the charge authorized only the product, but the shipping and/or taxes were not billed. We have billed out this shipping/taxes, which you were not previously charged for. We didn't charge you any more than what you originally expected to pay.

In terms of "they ended up shipping in the same box" if you want to give me some detail in email I am happy to look into this. We're not looking to charge anyone more than what they had agreed to pay for, and I am happy to work with with anyone on any issue and resolve it to their satisfaction. We didn't upcharge you.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I really really want to pre-order some Discotek things, but I'm paranoid there will be a sale right afterwards, are you allowed to apply the new promo retroactively to an existing order (that doesn't already have a promo code on it)?

We can work with you on this if the item has not already shipped. Can't apply retroactively though.
CostlyAxis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:

We did have some orders a while back where the charge authorized only the product, but the shipping and/or taxes were not billed. We have billed out this shipping/taxes, which you were not previously charged for. We didn't charge you any more than what you originally expected to pay.

In terms of "they ended up shipping in the same box" if you want to give me some detail in email I am happy to look into this. We're not looking to charge anyone more than what they had agreed to pay for, and I am happy to work with with anyone on any issue and resolve it to their satisfaction. We didn't upcharge you.

I can understand that it makes sense that I would pay for the shipping I requested, but this order was delivered over a month ago (July 8th). If the issue had been brought up at a more reasonable time (like before the transaction showed up in my printed monthly statements) and with better clarity then I'd have no issue paying. It was only ~$10.

I just don't agree nor will I put up with the fact you'd go after the shipping costs over a month later for what was ultimately a mistake on your part. I already had my call with Customer Service and my business is going elsewhere.

I've dealt with full charges on partial orders, having to get my order split so I wouldn't have to wait until October for an item, and now this. Fix your bugs.

I know it's not a particular person's fault, but these things have added up and I'm done with it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

We can work with you on this if the item has not already shipped. Can't apply retroactively though.

Cool, because I wanted to pre-order Little Mermaid and Orguss, which don't come out until late september. So if there's a Discotek sale before then, I can apply it to the pre-order, at least until it's ready to ship?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
shawnek wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Cool, because I wanted to pre-order Little Mermaid and Orguss, which don't come out until late september. So if there's a Discotek sale before then, I can apply it to the pre-order, at least until it's ready to ship?

In general, yes. If it's an issue, you can contact me.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
CostlyAxis wrote:
shawnek wrote:

I can understand that it makes sense that I would pay for the shipping I requested, but this order was delivered over a month ago (July 8th). If the issue had been brought up at a more reasonable time (like before the transaction showed up in my printed monthly statements) and with better clarity then I'd have no issue paying. It was only ~$10.

I just don't agree nor will I put up with the fact you'd go after the shipping costs over a month later for what was ultimately a mistake on your part. I already had my call with Customer Service and my business is going elsewhere.

I've dealt with full charges on partial orders, having to get my order split so I wouldn't have to wait until October for an item, and now this. Fix your bugs.

I know it's not a particular person's fault, but these things have added up and I'm done with it.

I'm sorry you feel this way.

We have corrected the shipping bug and it's squashed. Won't recur. The full charges on partial orders is why we stopped partial shipping until we could squash that one and make sure everything flows properly.

While I realize that we've had some issues with the switchover, we have made great progress and we should be back to a normal shipping schedule in the near future. No company is perfect, and I realize that there have been some frustrations. I think I've been pretty transparent about the process, and a massive system change will have bugs. Even Amazon has had them.

I hope that you'll consider shopping with us in the future. We will continue to work on improving the site and processes.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I was finally able to access my account on the new site, but my order history from the old site is not there.
Are you still bringing over the old order histories?
Or is that gone forever?

Actually, the last three orders that I made on the old site are showing as "Recent Orders," but there is nothing under "Order History."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RightStufTenguMinion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I was finally able to access my account on the new site, but my order history from the old site is not there.
Are you still bringing over the old order histories?
Or is that gone forever?

Actually, the last three orders that I made on the old site are showing as "Recent Orders," but there is nothing under "Order History."

When was the last time you had made an order before those three orders? We have currently only imported over orders from the beginning of 2014 onward.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
RightStufTenguMinion wrote:
When was the last time you had made an order before those three orders?

If I had access to my order history I could answer that. Razz
Quote:
We have currently only imported over orders from the beginning of 2014 onward.

It is possible that those three were the only orders that I made last year.

Will you eventually be bringing over older orders?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
@Touma

Maybe you can answer this. Why are so many people upset about the order history? I realize that it is something that was there and is no longer, but was it really that useful.

Before the change I looked at mine a couple of time out of curiosity. It was interesting but nothing more. Even before the change mine was not complete. There was only a couple of years history and I've ordered from them since 2000 give or take a couple of years.

I have the same question about the "you previously ordered this" business. Is it that hard to keep track of what you have ordered?

My primary concern is the difficulty in finding a specific item I wish to check out. The search is still a bit funky. I recently ordered the first half of the non import Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. I tried search and ended up with only the Archer figure. Apparently you have to get a title exactly right. With Japanese titles this can be a bit problematic. In this case, I finely found it by wading through page listings until I got to the right part of the alphabet. That was a right pain in the neck.

TLDR: why are people so worried about what they bought in the past and not about the difficulty of buying something now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 17