• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New RightStufAnime.com

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Shawn, I just listened to the latest ANNCast in which you were a guest. Liked it a great deal. I just posted something to the forum thread regarding the episode...

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4677873#4677873

I didn't know there was this forum here existed.

I'm concerned about the new website, and the ability to *easily* see what items are part of existing outstanding orders, and what items someone may have already ordered, or actually received. This was seen automatically in the past when you would select an item anywhere in the store.

This feature no longer existing, combined with the current method of looking up existing orders which for me has not been very pleasant, has led me to stop per-ordering anything from TRSI. In the past I'd pre-order several dozen items at a time, and simply track the progress towards release dates. Additionally, now that NO items from an order are shipped until the ENTIRE order can be fulfilled makes pre-ordering merchandise almost foolhardy. I had to phone TRSI and cancel a half dozen pre-orders so that I could re-order the items in groups of two or three, grouped by release date. That doesn't come across to me as very "customer-friendly" since these are procedures that actually inhibit the desire to place any order that is more than modest in size.

I'm sitting here with two copies of Nobunaga the Fool vol 1 (and only one copy of vol 2) because of the new difficulty in keeping track of orders/past purchases. I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar incidents I haven't come across yet. I'm not looking forward to having to compile an alphabetical database of the 4-5000 discs/graphic novels I have.

Hopefully the evolving website has rectifying this on its future agenda.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
We like the new website, except for one big thing - the past Order History list.

We've had some correspondence with Rightstuf about it that goes something like this:

• I see that our Order History now goes back up to 2013. Would the rest of our Order History be added? And if so, is it soon?

The reason I'm asking is because I have Order History that goes back a decade, and for the Rightstuf Holiday Sale, I want to avoid unintentionally ordering the same item twice. But Rightstuf's website can't let me know if I already ordered something in the past unless my whole Order History is available. That's why I really appreciated Rightstuf's old Order History list since it showed all my past orders all at once (especially quick with a web-browser keyword search).

• So I take it that no more past Order History beyond 2013 will be added
    anymore in the future?
    That's quite unfortunate - Rightstuf's old Order History was very useful
    in double-checking past purchases and avoiding duplicate purchases.

This actually makes me more reluctant to buy some Holiday Sale items
    because I have to make sure first that I didn't already purchase it before
    (and that entails having to search through my boxes of anime stuff,
    when before I could just easily search through Rightstuf's old
    Order History list that goes back many years to a decade).

I hope you guys reconsider and add the rest of all our past Order History.
    Please let your boss Mr. Shawne Kleckner know it'd be greatly appreciated.
    That complete list of past Order History makes us coming back to shop at
    Rightstuf year after year because we know we can rely on it.
    (For reference, Amazon keeps all our Order History through the years.)
joepz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
We like the new website, except for one big thing - the past Order History list.

We've had some correspondence with Rightstuf about it that goes something like this:

I'd like to add that another aspect of this "new" TRSI is that it is extremely discomforting to deal with the new packing lists that accompany a shipment.

In the past, the list would detail what was shipped, in addition to what items from that order are still back ordered (now irrelevant since TRSI only ships an order if it can be shipped complete). But what was also listed was the total charged for that shipment.

I've had up to 4 or 5 shipments in transit from TRSI to me at the same time, and with these new packing lists that don't even note the COST of an individual item, let alone the total cost of the shipment, I have to do the additional work of looking up at the website every item shipped on the list, jot down the unit cost, then add it up, and try to match it against credit card charges. In the past I only had to look at the end of the shipment list, see the total cost, and match it up with CC charges.

I don't know who sold Shawn on this new system, but it is MARKEDLY inferior to the previous one.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
@joepz

It also annoys me that the invoice packed with the order no longer contains cost information. However, this was most helpful with partial shipments. Did TRSI actually come out and say they were no longer making partial shipments?? If so there is an easy solution. The order acknowledgement E-mail you get includes the cost of the order including the price of each item. I find that hits my inbox within a few minutes of placing the order. Use that.
joepz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@joepz

It also annoys me that the invoice packed with the order no longer contains cost information. However, this was most helpful with partial shipments. Did TRSI actually come out and say they were no longer making partial shipments?? If so there is an easy solution. The order acknowledgement E-mail you get includes the cost of the order including the price of each item. I find that hits my inbox within a few minutes of placing the order. Use that.

You must be getting different emails. Mine most certainly do *not* include any mention of price/cost of any item being sent. I just received a shipment email for Sword Art Online vol 3. As is now the practice, no mention of any cost associated with the shipment.

I found out that TRSI doesn't ship anything from an order any more until the entire order can be fulfilled when I wondered why I hadn't gotten some items that had been released *months* prior. I called customer service and was told that the *one* item on the order that was still not released was the reason, and that they were no longer sending partial orders. *This* is what makes pre-ordering from TRSI now foolhardy. In the past, when there was a manufacturer sale (Viz, Funimation, etc.) I'd go through the entire catalog for that manufacturer and order up a storm, but then go to the pre-order list and possibly add one or two items from a DVD/Manga series I was collecting. It would be silly do anything like that now.
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
If you go back a page, Shawn says they are in testing to resume partial shipments. Even further back he mentions they had a bug causing problems with partial shipments. No mention of when it will be back, but it is not gone for good.

I was also told by customer service that they can ship any in stock items from an order, you will just need to pay shipping, even if the order was enough for free shipping.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
@joepz

I didn't say the shipping notice. When you place an order, you should get an acknowledgement e-mail within a few minutes. That details the items ordered, cost of each and any shipping charges and tax along with a total. It should be easy to check this against any charges, the shipping notice and the order when received. They all should match unless they resume partial shipments or some item is unavailable.
joepz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
If you go back a page, Shawn says they are in testing to resume partial shipments. Even further back he mentions they had a bug causing problems with partial shipments. No mention of when it will be back, but it is not gone for good.

I was also told by customer service that they can ship any in stock items from an order, you will just need to pay shipping, even if the order was enough for free shipping.

Thank you for the "heads up." Nice to know partials are at least being considered. Just got off the phone with customer service 'cause I was charged *full retail* for the Ladies vs Butlers DVD I received that was the last item from an old order that *was* sent in partials since it was placed under the old system.

I was afraid that I was charged shipping because it was the last item from an old order and when the new system went into effect it had somehow gotten transformed into an order-of-one-item-no-longer-qualifying-for-free-shipping. Customer Service was very friendly and helpful.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
joepz wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@joepz
The order acknowledgement E-mail you get includes the cost of the order including the price of each item. I find that hits my inbox within a few minutes of placing the order. Use that.

You must be getting different emails. Mine most certainly do *not* include any mention of price/cost of any item being sent. I just received a shipment email for Sword Art Online vol 3. As is now the practice, no mention of any cost associated with the shipment.

They are still ironing out the bugs in the system and looking to bring some features back. I had like 3 orders arrive since August(?). In 2 of them I got confirmation emails with the price and any discount applied. One of the orders was a pre-order from the previous system and I only got a ship notice on that one, so that maybe why you didn't get an email with a price if it came from previous system (maybe?). One of the 2 orders that I got a confirmation email didn't go thru correctly and I had to contact them to straighten it out. As I said these are bugs that they are trying to squash, hopefully they will all be sorted out soon.

That said I definitely feel your pain. I've been avoiding placing more orders at RightStuf and focusing on picking up OOP stuff because the system is not quite all smoothed out yet. I really need counters brought back (I think they said its on a list of things to bring back), its gotten better but still doesn't work great in FireFox, GotAnime doesn't always seem to be applying the right discount on the website. In time things will get better and people will get used to the new site.
joepz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Alan45, if you've been getting emails/packing sheets with costs listed, then there's definitely hope for the future.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
joepz wrote:
Thank you for the "heads up." Nice to know partials are at least being considered. Just got off the phone with customer service 'cause I was charged *full retail* for the Ladies vs Butlers DVD I received that was the last item from an old order that *was* sent in partials since it was placed under the old system.

I was afraid that I was charged shipping because it was the last item from an old order and when the new system went into effect it had somehow gotten transformed into an order-of-one-item-no-longer-qualifying-for-free-shipping. Customer Service was very friendly and helpful.

We were one of the people caught in the partial shipping glitch. It was one in-stock item, 2 pre-order items (different dates), and one backstocked item. They sent out the in-stock and one of the pre-order (early!) items, but we ended up charged for the ENTIRE order, not just what was shipped. I know there were problems with shipping charges being wrongly applied, too, but ours didn't have that problem.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
@joepz

As of the last package I got, the shipping notice and the sheet packed with the items did not contain prices. Since both of those used to I consider that a problem. However, the confirmation notice that is automatically issued when you order does contain that information. My last order was filed on the ninth. So far they haven't shipped so I can't say what will happen on the new shipping notice or packing invoice.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
joepz wrote:

We were one of the people caught in the partial shipping glitch. It was one in-stock item, 2 pre-order items (different dates), and one backstocked item. They sent out the in-stock and one of the pre-order (early!) items, but we ended up charged for the ENTIRE order, not just what was shipped. I know there were problems with shipping charges being wrongly applied, too, but ours didn't have that problem.

Just verifying this was all fixed up for you. I think we've reached the point where the bugs are handled, but if we made an error I want to make absolutely sure it has been corrected.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

• I see that our Order History now goes back up to 2013. Would the rest of our Order History be added? And if so, is it soon?

The reason I'm asking is because I have Order History that goes back a decade, and for the Rightstuf Holiday Sale, I want to avoid unintentionally ordering the same item twice. But Rightstuf's website can't let me know if I already ordered something in the past unless my whole Order History is available. That's why I really appreciated Rightstuf's old Order History list since it showed all my past orders all at once (especially quick with a web-browser keyword search).

• So I take it that no more past Order History beyond 2013 will be added
    anymore in the future?
    That's quite unfortunate - Rightstuf's old Order History was very useful
    in double-checking past purchases and avoiding duplicate purchases.

This actually makes me more reluctant to buy some Holiday Sale items
    because I have to make sure first that I didn't already purchase it before
    (and that entails having to search through my boxes of anime stuff,
    when before I could just easily search through Rightstuf's old
    Order History list that goes back many years to a decade).

I hope you guys reconsider and add the rest of all our past Order History.
    Please let your boss Mr. Shawne Kleckner know it'd be greatly appreciated.
    That complete list of past Order History makes us coming back to shop at
    Rightstuf year after year because we know we can rely on it.
    (For reference, Amazon keeps all our Order History through the years.)

Amazon also didn't make a change from one system to another. Sad

If you'd like, customer care can dump you a spreadsheet of every item you had ordered before June 2015 that you can have for reference. We're also looking at perhaps adding a list to the site where you can mark what you already own regardless of whether you purchased it from us or not. Would that be helpful?

We're continuing to work on lots of items for the new site, but I don't know that I'm going to go back in time to try to run imports pre 2013, want to focus more on getting features for people they are looking for in terms of development hours.

Last edited by shawnek on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
joepz wrote:
Shawn, I just listened to the latest ANNCast in which you were a guest. Liked it a great deal. I just posted something to the forum thread regarding the episode...

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4677873#4677873

I didn't know there was this forum here existed.

I'm concerned about the new website, and the ability to *easily* see what items are part of existing outstanding orders, and what items someone may have already ordered, or actually received. This was seen automatically in the past when you would select an item anywhere in the store.

We have added back the "you have already ordered this" to the site, although it will not provide data for pre-2013. Customer care can provide you in spreadsheet form a list of every item from 6/15 and before that you had purchased if that is helpful.

Quote:
This feature no longer existing, combined with the current method of looking up existing orders which for me has not been very pleasant, has led me to stop per-ordering anything from TRSI. In the past I'd pre-order several dozen items at a time, and simply track the progress towards release dates. Additionally, now that NO items from an order are shipped until the ENTIRE order can be fulfilled makes pre-ordering merchandise almost foolhardy. I had to phone TRSI and cancel a half dozen pre-orders so that I could re-order the items in groups of two or three, grouped by release date. That doesn't come across to me as very "customer-friendly" since these are procedures that actually inhibit the desire to place any order that is more than modest in size.

We have partial shipping running again, and have enhanced it by also dragging along anything else you have on open orders. We're not holding until complete unless you request it. (Note, we were holding orders before due to an issue with partial shipping code, which has since been corrected.)

Quote:
I'm sitting here with two copies of Nobunaga the Fool vol 1 (and only one copy of vol 2) because of the new difficulty in keeping track of orders/past purchases. I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar incidents I haven't come across yet. I'm not looking forward to having to compile an alphabetical database of the 4-5000 discs/graphic novels I have.

Hopefully the evolving website has rectifying this on its future agenda.

We are working on a number of things as we move forward. The new platform gives us a lot of room to grow. Feel free to drop me email and we can further discuss, and I can take the use cases and add them to our development roadmap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 17