• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Canon of Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And /m/ is even worse; have you seen the titles they worship over there? You don't want a zillion super robot shows (most of them aimed at young children or manchildren, and almost all of them subpar) to contaminate your aggregate list, do you?

I'm one of the main contributors to that place and I enjoy a lot of the titles mentioned there (Dougram, Zegapain, Da-Garn, J-Decker, Ryu Knight, Gravion, Godannar, Dancouga, Combattler V, Fafner, Shin Mazinger Z, New Getter Robo, Gundam 0083, VOTOMS, Gaiking, Gundam X, Gun X Sword, Escaflowne, RahXephon, Braiger, and many others), I feel genuinely offended right now because I've seen most of those super robot (and real robot) anime, most of them are quite awesome. Cool I will admit they have a few misses I wouldn't recommend to people (Rayearth, Patlabor, Daimidaler, Gundam 0080, and Macross Plus come to mind).
Quote:
Ultimately, one hundred is just an arbitrary number.

Doing list by 10 times tables tends to make them more neat, having it ten squared means plenty of information was collected.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
OK, people: The sniping stops now. If you are attacked, then do not respond in kind -- report the posting. Also, consider PMing a moderator.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Would it not be better to have, for example, a discussion about which anime are exceptionally good in their genre? It would be more interesting than having tables, a list of series etc., which don’t say anything apart from the fact that X number of people gave anime Y highest grades.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Not to belittle your commendable effort, but you've basically just made a list of popular anime. I could have made something very, very similar to your list - without any statistics at all, and in about twenty minutes of thinking - just by going on what got sufficient fan buzz throughout the years.

Indeed. That is a list of stuff that is popular among fans. Someone who is a fan for several years would know well the reputation of all these shows among fans.

Still I think it's a good list of anime to watch before you die. Gives you a nice overview of the medium as well. I plan to watch at some point all the shows in there and I already have watched 65/80 titles in there.

Alan45 wrote:
@errinundra

I, on the other hand completely glaze over when I see a list or a table. I guess it is something inherent in the individual.

I like to use lists to watch movies and series or listen to music. I think it's a good way to get recommendations (for me at least).

Quote:
I have a couple of problems with this approach to setting up a "Canon" list of anime. The first is the idea that watching a mass of anime makes you a better reviewer. The ability, or even the inclination to review, assess and evaluate shows is not specific to anime. If you have it viewing thirty to fifty shows should give you a good view of the medium. If you do not have it watching a thousand shows will not improve your assessments.

There are specific cultural elements and aesthetic principles particular of Japanese animation. Someone who only watches, for example, American TV and films will not be able to understand why something like Utena, Gunbuster or EVA is well regarded among anime fans without significant experience with the medium. Now how much experience is significant? I guess the more the better, not only with animation but also Japanese culture in general as well as manga and film in particular.

So I would guess also you need to watch a lot of stuff from the specific genres you are reviewing before rating/reviewing anything. Because ultimately the quality of something is determined by how well it manages to be what it tries to be and one gets the notion of that by comparing it to similar titles that try to do the same.

Quote:
Secondly is the assumption that most people are approaching the criteria with the same understanding and putting the same amount of effort into arriving at the evaluation. In many cases it may not even be consistent from year to year from the same person.

True but I am not making that assumption. The purpose here is just to get an idea of what is "hot" among fans. Fans who differ in many aspects and indeed of the nearly 50 lists I used people differed a lot in their tastes and experience (some listed as watched 300, others 1,500-2000).

Quote:
Third is availability. A little know show may be highly evaluated by everyone who has watched it and should be better known. This system will miss such a show because it is not shown on enough lists.

Hence the reason why I though only computing lists from people who have watched around 3,000 titles or more would be ideal, since little known gems will be watched by these people. More experience means knowning the little known gems.

Shows like Cowboy Bebop and Madoka topped the list partially due to the fact they were watched by perhaps everybody whose lists constituted the sample.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Quote:
I think it's a good way to get recommendations (for me at least)

This is where we differ. I want to know what the show is about and why it is recommended. That is why I read the text of reviews here and ignore the evaluation. Lists don't provide any of that information. The fact that a lot of people liked a specific shows means very little to me. I found out early in life that my taste in entertainment was shared by very few people I knew. I suspect this is related to my liking anime and having to come to the internet to find a circle of similar people.

Madoka magica is a good example. I watched a few episodes and didn't care for it. Later I saw recommendations that said you had to watch further to "get" it. However by that time I had read enough of what went on to know that it is a show I never want to watch.

I watch anime the same way I read books, that is for my own purposes/enjoyment and not to check off a canon list of must watch/read titles. My approach is to keep track of what is coming out here in North America as it becomes available. I read the blurbs from the retailers and the reviews here. I then decide if it sounds interesting, if it does I watch as much or as little as I care to. Initially I kept track in the magazines on anime and as those died I switched to ANN. This keeps me in more anime than I can watch.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Well in my case I usually like what's popular. So knowing what's popular for me is a good way to know what to watch. For example, about 6 of my top 8 anime ever are all in the top 10 of that top 80 list I computed. So far nearly all my favorites are in that top 80 with two exceptions, Castle in the Sky and Only Yesterday. I didn't dislike any of the 65 titles I watched there as well.

So I think there is a very high probability I will love the titles I haven't watched yet on that list.

Of course, I have preferences in terms of genres. I like fantasy and science fiction a lot, so I rate higher stuff in those genres relative to genres I usually don't like that much such as crime/gangster movies (I didn't care much about The Wire neither for Goodfellas or Monster, etc). However, anime is dominated by fantasy and science fiction and I also learned rather recently that I love slice of life stuff, so there is an even stronger correlation between my tastes and the overall popularity in terms of anime than in terms of live action film and TV. Very Happy

After computing this list I already have set to watch Barakamon and Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, among others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Quote:
I love slice of life stuff

You should enjoy Barakamon than.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
Solid list actually. Only problem is it misses out on some good 'artsy' stuff a lot of people haven't seen... like Robot Carnival or Night on the Galactic Railroad but there's always Buried Treasure for that Smile
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Solid list actually. Only problem is it misses out on some good 'artsy' stuff a lot of people haven't seen... like Robot Carnival or Night on the Galactic Railroad but there's always Buried Treasure for that Smile

Well that's the problem of any list. Anyway, now I see that making such a list is a thing that shouldn't be taken much seriously because one cannot make a hierarchy among works of art/entertainment. It's a bad influence I have from fans of movies/movie critics who are obssessed with making ranked lists of movies.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, I found a blog of someone who like me loves computing
lists.

He/she computed a list of the top 50 anime of the decade from 45 blogs lists and 8 forum posts (arguably detailed lists):

https://aquabluesweater.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/compilation-of-top-anime-of-the-decade-lists-around-the-internet-series/

This is the list:

I find it amusing that my top 2 anime series, Haibane Renmei and Madoka have topped respectively this list and the one I computed.

Also he did a distribution by year of the titles:

It kinda shows the rise and fall of TV anime. Thing is that late night adult anime began to be made in 1997-1998 and it exploded over the next few years peaking in number in 2006, in 2009 with the financial crisis apparently quality declined. Although one factor here (perhaps the most important) is that since it's a best of the decade list the latest titles from 2009 still haven't proven themselves memorable as "best of the decade" titles yet.

I wonder what a similar list for the last 6 years would look like or a list for the 1990's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4