• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animation of "Steven Universe" possibly anime-inspired?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodimus_2316

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering this since the show started. It's animation does look somewhat anime-ish to me, but I'm no anime expert. Anyone know, or have theories?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
You might wish to check out this ANN article and its discussion thread. Note that the thread is six months old, so adding to it would be inaappropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
It is, just like how anime has traditionally been influenced by American cartoons from Superman, to Disney and Betty Boop.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
They don't even try to hide it. They have said straight out that if it looks like a reference, it probably is.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Professional animators all over the world have been heavily influenced by the aesthetics of manga. Manga is by far the most dominant form of cartooning in the world and it's influence is widespread, even in North America a region relatively closed to outide cultural influence. For instance, in the "What's App" messaging app, there is a emoji of crying:

http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/97/56/97560bfbec54d91cf4739818dd140e1c.png

The Manga influence is all over the place. Also, in American animation I noticed the use of decreasing pupil size to express emotion and in American comics you can notice that use of lines of movement started in the last decades, clear sign of Manga influence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Jose, how is Mexico, the US and Canada more closed culturally than East Asian countries with 90% of population or more belonging to one ethnic group? That's obviously wrong.

Say what you will about the USA, but Canada is certainly more open than any East Asian country.

Also, Akira was influenced by American comics. It's not a one way street.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Canada more open? In cultural terms not really.

The English speaking world is an extremely isolated cultural bubble. Most people in English speaking countries (by most I mean 99.99%) only listen to English speaking music, read novels from English speaking writers, only watch English speaking movies and think people who are open to foreign culture are pretentious.

Other countries have far greater foreign cultural influence. Mainly because they are at the periphery of the global power system: the US is at the center and so it the most culturally isolated country in the world. Other English speaking countries share the same cultural background with the US and so are also very isolated.

Japan is quite isolated in many ways as well although Japan has foreign influence in their culture most of that influence is Western and Chinese. Well, Japan still is kinda of a great power so it's culture is relatively isolated but still I see more references to the world outside of it's borders in Japanese cultural products than in US cultural products.

And Japanese culture is heavily influenced by US culture. Manga, for example, is heavily influenced by western comics, Tezuka himself was heavily influenced by US cartoons from the 1920's and 1930's, that's why most modern manga looks essentially like a much more "modernized" version of US cartoons from the 1930's. US comics, however, have borrowed very little from manga, even though there exists orders of magnitude more manga than US comics in existence. Chinese, Brazilian and Korean comics have much greater manga influence than US comics.

Usually, US cultural products tend to confuse the US with the world itself. For instance, I watched the movie "The Interview" last week, in that movie there is not a single reference to any cultural product (music, TV shows, celebrities, etc) that are not American.

A country like Malaysia or Nigeria, at the deep periphery in the global power system, is very porous to foreign cultural influences, in the other hand.

Of course, in terms of ethnic groups it is very different. In a way the US is open to immigration of people but closed to foreign culture. It assimilates immigrants into US culture.

Take Mexicans, there are 30 million Mexicans in the US, they are 10% of the country now. Yet. Does US TV shows Mexican TV shows? No. Do you see a lot of novels from Mexico sold in the US? No. Do you see a lot of Mexican music topping US charts? No.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1