• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How did you get into anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
1997 in college, I saw a flyer for an anime showing. On a flyer was Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi in Chinese ancient clothing. I went and they showed Bubblegum Crisis, Fushigi Yuugi and Grave of the Fireflies. After that, all was history.
ayanami000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
True TV series and childhood friend that have VHS back in the days.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
weird concoction of DB, Sailor Moon and Fist of the Northern Star
kookykonata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
For me, I was watching anime for a good while (at least 10 years) before I actually knew it was considered anime. I used to love coming home every day from school just to watch the shows on Toonami (Cardcaptors, Dragonball Z, Tunchi Muyo!, etc.) back when it was on every day from like 4 pm to 6. Then it moved to Saturdays only and I slowed down considerably.
But when I was in the middle of my 9th grade in high school, one of my friends was going to let another friend borrow this weird "Backwards conic book", but he didn't want it. So she turned to me and offered me to borrow it. I thought that it was so cool that I got fully immersed in it. That lead to me eventually finding out about anime itself, and here I am!
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I got into anime in 2013 I think? Because I distinctly remember Attack on Titan airing when I did. I don't remember the exact reason I started watching anime, but I'm really glad I did. My earliest experiences were works like Angel Beats, Code Geass, TWGOK, and other works. I'm a relatively new fan considering how long ago many others have been watching anime in this forum. Before that I was already watching the big 3 and things like Yugioh, so I think that eased me into this medium quite well. Strangely, I think hentai has had an influence on me entering the anime world as well. I remember watching the OVAs and reading the doujinshi's of Princess Lover before I watched the tv series. That led to some really awkward moments.
woozle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I got into anime in 8th grade, so...2003 or 2004? I don't remember how we got on the subject, but my friend started telling me about a manga that sounded hilarious. I asked her what it was, and she told me it was Fruits Basket. She lent me the first volume of the manga, I loved it, and she let me borrow her volumes of the anime. I loved it as well, and it's a love of anime that has just grown since then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2