• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Inner Stella

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I plan to buy Suikoden III. Back when II came out, I bought it and I. I'd never played a Suikoden game before, but had always been interested, but anyone who has glanced at eBay prices will see why I gave up that dream and left it as a fantasy. Until PSN stepped in anyways. But the internet said to play 1 before 2, so I did. That means I've beaten 1, but started 2, the immediately burned out and got distracted by other games (which probably means I can't play games in the same series back to back, not that I have no interest in 2, I just need a break), though I do like just being able to freakin' run). Although I didn't get all 108 stars in 1 (probably because I hated spoiler[Gremio so much I didn't even want to revive him]), though I plan to use a walkthrough to get them all in 2.

Anyway, back to 3, I actually have the whole manga for it. It was the first Suikoden thing I'd ever really been involved in, and I kind of forget most of the details of the manga since it's been many years since I've read it. My plan after 2 was to read the manga, but now I can 3 easily, so I rather want to. I know the start of the PS2 era was definitely shaky on RPGs though. For just about any early PS2 RPG (let's say 2002 or earlier) that got some sort of sequel or just another game in the series, the second one was almost always better. Like Dark Cloud 2 (aka Dark Chronicle). Or just a lot of series, when they went from PS1 to PS2, were just really off compared to their PS1 days. Sure, Square got it right pretty much off the bat, but it took years for Persona 3 to come out. Even then though, I just find this certain charm to early PS2 RPGs and I adore Dual Hearts and Okage: Shadow King, which are both just really damn fun. So even if Suikoden 3 is problematic, and it probably is, I'm still curious anyway. Though I may wait for a sale...

It seems that the transition from PS2 to PS3 went smoother. Perhaps not from a development point, but from my point, it seems that most early PS3 RPGs were better received than early PS2 RPGs.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to play the third Path on Fire Emblem Fates by 2016.

But If I want do in order:

Birthright -> Conquest -> Third Path.

And the same gender marriage is just limited to the avatar and a girl in Birthright and a boy in Conquest.

I am also interested in the Stella Glow game.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Sad *sigh* why can't it be 2016 already? i can't stop obsessing over FE:Fates!!! i can only imagine how long it's gonna take me to complete the support log this time Shocked

i've been lurking around a few sites in regards to FE:Fates, spoiling myself a bit Wink on some of the leaks, datamined and post-release info, seeing some of the early chapter LPs, as well as seeing what people are saying. some stuff was really getting blown out of proportion Razz but such is life on the internet. on a more positive note the game was reviewed quite favourably by Famitsu (they gave it 36/40, (9/10 x 4)). people are saying that it's selling really well too (i don't know if any official numbers have been released yet). in terms of localization, there's some things i could definitely see them toning down, but i hope they don't change too too much.

EDIT: numbers got posted as i was typing. Surprised over 300,000 copies combined.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I fear that the probable impossibility of turning Meiji-era Japan into the odd kinda-America the other Ace Attorney games use will keep the new game from ever getting localized.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, I miss King of Fighters. Crying or Very sad
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the amusing semi-meme of "Fire Emblem saved gay marriage!" due to the decision made last week about same-sex marriage in the US.

Also, people are going a bit nuts over the lesbian relationship lo and behold it turns out that spoiler[she might in fact be a reincarnated Tharja and that the Avatar is a reincarnated Robin.] Good times.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I got Natsuiro High School: Seishun Hakusho (or whatever it's long name is), though I only had a play around in the sandbox mode.
Shouryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
RHYTHM HEAVEN: THE BEST PLUS
Developer: Nintendo SPD
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: PS Vita
A.K.A.: Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus

Is this some inside joke I missed or something? Nintendo doomed! Going third party etc?
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That sounds like the sort of thing Nintendo will tone down (and should tone down)

Whoa there, back up. I feel like this statement needs some serious justification. Why should Nintendo "tone down" any of it? Are American sensibilities too delicate to handle risque content? Should Nintendo be scared of offending the continually-offended segment of the internet? Is it Nintendo of America's job to protect us and ensure that we're not exposed to anything controversial?

NoA does have a habit of censoring American releases, although in recent years there's been a lot of people objecting to that -- but, on the other hand, modern outrage culture has made a lot of companies afraid of offending anybody. For my part, though, I'd rather experience the content as the creators intended and decide for myself how I feel about it rather than have NoA act as stewards of morality.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
I seriously hope Nintendo of America doesn't try to apply any censorship to the same-sex options. It would be overwhelmingly disheartening to see all this progress go to complete waste, all for the sake of "being family-friendly."
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
A couple of nit-picks about the Rhythm Heaven series: The badminton is played between a dog and a cat, not two cats; and you play as the wrestler getting interviewed, not the interviewer. (That stage definitely came out of left field, as everything looked like it was going to be about wrestling, but the match had already ended and the stage is about the post-victory interview.)

From what I hear, Rhythm Heaven Fever did not sell well in the west, so I don't think this 3DS one will ever come out. It definitely has a hard time not looking like shovelware, that's for sure. However, if it does get a western release, I will get it, no questions asked.
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
If the Fire Emblem Conquest route is actually more difficult I'm totally springing for it. I play the hardest difficulty whenever possible and even then I sometimes wish the stakes were a little more intense; enough to make me break out the paper and pen and get into "serious business mode".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally,, a Rhythm Heaven game for the 3DS,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2