• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Higurashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Clsrification: is this just the main show for LOGH, with hopefully forthcoming OVA and movie releases, or the whole mess all at once? Or has Sentai not said anything in that regard?

Glad i can finally add Higu- Kai to my collection as well.
NieR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I've heard many good things about Legend of the Galactic Heroes within the anime community over the past several years, but has the anime really aged well in time? I'll look into it after it's out, but I'm not familiar with the source material.

I'm hoping Sentai Filmworks adds Chihayafuru, Hyouka, and Shirokuma Cafe sometime. These are among three of my favorite anime series that I would like to own some day.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
How do you mean by aging? I love the series to death but I'll also be the first to admit that the visuals aren't the main attraction here, so yeah, it's 'aged' in that regard, but the story itself, the characters, the morals and themes; those are ageless. One of the openings even directly states that some stories and conflicts are eternal and universal regardless of what period or what genre they're set in (this is literally the central theme of series). That's why an OVA series that had been finished for a decade could suddenly pick up steam and find a completely new audience once some reliable fansubs were released. It's aged like Rose of Versailles has.

Weird, I wasn't so excited when the announcement was made earlier, but recalling back to what I love about the series is bringing it all back. I haven't done a rewatch aside from the two films and Golden Wings OVA, and it's been exactly 7 years since I've seen the OVA, so I'm looking forward to this release, DVD or BD, I don't even care if they're using the LD masters. But for the movies, those do need BD, if they're ever picked up.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Looks like the company sucked out as much money as they could out of the Japanese, now it's the English speaking world Wink

How awesome people!?!? LoGH, Utena, Gundam, Otaku no Video, and Escaflowne on blu-ray within the next 12 months!

Awesome Shocked

It's fantastic to see more cell animated anime in HD![/i]
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Elated, shocked, overjoyed, and salty. Salty because I was at AX and didn't think Sentai's panel was going to be epic. Not just logh but higurashi, too. I will get logh but I can't say this was a good business decision. Zac said it was ultra expensive and the likelyhood of this clearing more than 3 k copies is dismal. Plus the owners put a huge price on it despite the fact that a 25+ year show has never sold enough to justify the cost for a franchise of this size.

Please prove zac and I wrong and reward Sentai for this ballsy move. I am afraid it will fail to make money and reinforce a bad precedent. Buy this show and for once anime fans should put their money where there mouth is.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see how much of this excitement translates into dollars because as history has show us there will always be something people will be unhappy about.

Yellow subs, no purchase.
Nine episodes per disc, no purchase.
Eco-cases, no purchase.
Evidence of bending, no purchase
No dub, no purchase.
$59.95 a set, no purchase.
No Japanese honorifics, no purchase.
......... And so on.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The one thing that worries me is people not buying it if it isn't exactly what they want like no dub or DVD only.

Might be naive, but I'd like to think devoted fans and people who have wanted to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes for years (like me) have no problem with that kind of release. It doesn't have the kind of popularity to get a cry of "no dub no buy." No Blu-ray might be more of an issue, but I don't think it would keep most of the people from buying it...

Eh, who knows. Either way, I'm gonna get it and hope it sells as well as it can.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
..... It has already started:

"However, both the JP DVDs and BDs contain digitally re-animated scenes that look rather out of place with the original cel-animated footage. Especially the 30fps pans. I kinda doubt Sentai will be releasing the original version, so I'll be sticking with my Laserdiscs."
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know there were so many fans of Legend of the Galactic Heroes here. I just hear about it as something in the background but not really spoken of, though with praise whenever it is, but yikes, so many people are coming out of the woodwork for it. This is nuts.

CoreSignal wrote:
Just one question: How did the heck did Sentai get this!? In all seriousness, amazing pick-up for Sentai and good for them.

My best guess is that the license holders for Legend of the Galactic Heroes have become more lenient. Certainly, that's been the case with Nintendo, which has resulted in more Nintendo merchandise; and with Peanuts, hence the explosion of things themed on the comic strip (and not just the movie).

Megiddo wrote:
Has there been precedent in licensed anime that used very famous renditions of classical music? I'm curious if the bevy of orchestral BGM during the space battles may raise a red flag somehow.

Classical music would be in the public domain, though performances of classical music aren't. I'd imagine that if they got the rights to the show, the music shouldn't be too hard to get by comparison. It's not like the soundtrack is littered with Michael Jackson or The Beatles or anything. (I think.)

VanGosroth wrote:
I can tell by your post that you must very refined anime taste. Speaking on behalf of the plebeians who frequently purchase lesser series from Sentai there have been no major issues I've noticed on any of the series I've purchased. Only minor problem I've found is the occasional pixelated artwork that's on the actual disk but it could be a blank dvd-rom for all I care.

I'm a plebe in everything I do and am proud of it. Kill the bourgeoisie! (Well, the only people I feel are worth looking down upon are people who look down upon other people.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wow, I didn't know there were so many fans of Legend of the Galactic Heroes here. I just hear about it as something in the background but not really spoken of, though with praise whenever it is, but yikes, so many people are coming out of the woodwork for it. This is nuts.

It didn't grow from sub 800 (circa Jan. 2008) to over 50,000 members on MAL for no reason, and only within 7 years, and with a 9.08 average. Very very few old anime get such resurgences. Some of my other favorites like Area 88, DYRL, and even Gunbuster don't have those numbers. Or things you'd think were always huge but the numbers don't lie, like with Bubblegum Crisis, Patlabor, Project A-ko, and Record of Lodoss War. Even if they do come close to numbers in completions, charting the growth in member additions to their lists for all of those titles would be terribly low in comparison. There's really just nothing like it, not even Rose of Versailles matches that kind of growth, and it's already been licensed and released!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just thought that much of the love for the series, having never seen any of it myself, was due to nostalgia, something like how people who grew up in the 80's had a fondness for the original Thundercats series and Generation I Transformers. (I have no idea what the western counterpart to Legend of the Galactic Heroes is, as far as fandom goes.)

I'm just surprised because I've never been so wrong in my estimation of the western popularity of an anime series before. I thought Legend of the Galactic Heroes is just something fondly remembered by a generation of people in Japan but is considered old and unappealing to the majority of modern western anime fans, like with Doraemon. I'm guessing localization companies would think the same way, though I always had a hunch that getting the license was always extra difficult.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Nope, there really can't be any nostalgia attached to LoGH (unless it's some kind of general nostalgia for all things old?) because we didn't even really have proper fansubs until about the mid 00s. So unless someone was a super anime nerd and was likely bilingual, all of the fan growth is from the last 10 years alone.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
When did it start surging in popularity? Based on what you say, it seems to have been after 2008, and I stopped paying much attention to anime between 2008 and 2012 besides what was running on Adult Swim Action and what was going on at Anime Expo.

Is talk just really quiet about this show because most people never expected an official western release? Certainly, no one I know has any real familiarity with the series beyond that it exists, not even anime fans that I know.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
NorbieH wrote:

$59.95 a set, no purchase

Well... it depends on how many episodes are on each set.

If it's 13-20 episodes a set, I'll dig it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NorbieH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...DYRL, and Gunbuster don't have those numbers.

Is the dream closer for an English friendly release for those two?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9