• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Higurashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
The late director Noboru Ishiguro (Macross, Orguss, Megazone 23) and his Artland anime studio spent more than a decade adapting the novels into a theatrical and video anime franchise, with over 100 installments, from 1988 to 2000.

Wow Shocked
Bingal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Holy s***

LoGH getting licensed is something I never expected.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Also, if this is indeed the original OVA, are we going to get the Bluray version that was released a few years back, or only the DVD? Bummer if it's only the latter...

I'd hope they go with the DVD masters with a blu-ray release if only for the amount of space.

The BDs are upscales, iirc.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I figured either Sentai or NIS would get this (MAYBE Discotek). Please dub Season 2 with the original cast!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
I know that its too much to ask but please get the original dub cast to do season 2.

I don't recall the original Geneon dub as being anything better than mediocre.

Given what we've seen with The Familiar of Zero, I expect unless interest justifies otherwise, they'll let the dub for the original series stand but release the remainder subtitled.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Also, if this is indeed the original OVA, are we going to get the Bluray version that was released a few years back, or only the DVD? Bummer if it's only the latter...

Not a bummer at all. No idea how you can say that.

This is a title that was thought to never had a chance to be licensed due to its incredible length and its obvious age.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD!!! OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!
OH! MY! GOD!!!!

The impossible just happen!! LOGH IS COMING TO AMERICA!!! Oh, there is no force in Heaven or Hell to prevent me buying this masterpiece.
*cries happy tears for the rest of my life*
OH please let it be similar to the Japanese collectionbox set because those looked so cool.

Edit: Wait, is it just the original 110 OVA episodes or is Sentai Filmworks trying to get the full monty: 110 episode OVAs, the Golden Wings OVA, the Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights OVA, the Spiral Labyrinth OVA, and the Overture to a New War (which I still need to watch). Because that it gonna be a major pain in the butt to track all those down.

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Sentai licensed Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I...I... Oh, stars, I'm so happy I could just die.

Back in 2009, I emailed in the following response to an Answerman question regarding which pre-2000s anime we wanted to see licensed (animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2009-09-04):

Quote:
Lasers slice through space. Starships burst into flame, their crews of millions perishing instantly. The fate of whole planets hangs on the outcome of single skirmishes. There are no aliens in this saga of the stars, simply human drama, and villains and heroes and those in-between each have their parts to play in the pages of history. I speak, oh Answerman, of the epic 1988-1997 OVA space opera, “Legend of the Galactic Heroes.”

LOGH is like no other anime I've ever watched. The scale and complexity of the storyline, with its cast of thousands, draws you in and lets you feel the weight behind each move of its two warring nations. Neither the autocratic Galactic Empire (no, not *that* Galactic Empire) nor the democratic Free Planets Alliance can fully claim moral right at the culmination of their hundred-year war, and their leaders and citizens dwell in an equally gray area . This is what makes this show so great—like true history, right and wrong are simply matters of perspective. Most viewers of the series will find themselves rooting for one side, then a few episodes later, rooting for the other.

Despite the well-developed main characters, complex, fantastically-written plot, Wagnerian score, and spectacular battles, I doubt that LOGH will ever be licensed outside Japan. The series' animation and character designs have aged horribly over the years, and of course there is the show's epic length to consider. A licensor would have to be very confident in sales, indeed, to agree to distribute a 110-episode series (not counting the spin-offs and movies!). LOGH's pacing is a problem as well, as the space battles are separated by long stretches of talking heads. To a fan like myself, the military maneuvers and intricate political machinations that occur during these segments are as equally exciting as exploding spaceships, but they're probably well outside the attention span of any casual viewer.

I've never been so glad to be wrong. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go drag my Reinhard cosplay out of the closet and go dance around the living room.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Has there been precedent in licensed anime that used very famous renditions of classical music? I'm curious if the bevy of orchestral BGM during the space battles may raise a red flag somehow.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
OH MY GOD!!! OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!OH MY GOD!!!
OH! MY! GOD!!!!

This this this this THIS. I was already hyped to hell about the novels, but my brain's just about broken now. I'm finding a way to have them shut up and take my money before pre-orders are out.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I just ordered Higurashi Kai from Siren 3 days ago. Just my luck. I will double dip for BR's for both seasons, but will keep what I have for dvd only.

LOGH will be a day one pickup. I still cannot believe this day has finally come.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Am I dead? This is the afterlife, right?

Shocked

Absolutely cannot believe this. I thought we'd never see the day LOTGH would get licensed---I finally had broken down and watched the series via old laserdisc fansubs, and I've gotta say, every ounce of the legend is true. This is such a phenomenal, classic anime, and I'm hopping up and down right now making noises no human should be able to! Take my money, Sentai, take it all!

Ahem.

Also really jazzed that Higurashi got licensed as well. I cannot wait to replace my crappy DVDs; I have fond memories of terrorizing a good friend of mine with some of the more infamous scenes. Laughing

I wonder if LOTGH will get a BR release (a dub almost seems too colossal an undertaking to be possible for Sentai, but I can pray)? If the article stated so, I must have completely missed it in my fangirl-induced stupor. Never would have pegged Sentai as being the one to finally get this series (honestly, I thought Nozomi/RightStuf would have), but good on them, as long as they release a quality product. Next year cannot arrive soon enough.
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I love LoGH with all my heart and would pick up the set of subtitled blu-ray if that's what they will be releasing.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Pardon me for a moment

So sentai filmworks now has the entire higurashi franchise anime franchise licensed!!! I'm weeping tears of joy now :___:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
The gist of LOGH sounds intriguing. Is there any chance this'll be released straight into physical form?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9